PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil opinions

hootymo
01-29-2005, 03:22 PM
i was considering giving my 87 lx an oil change/engine flush and converting to mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic. my engine has 175000 miles on it, is this a worthwhile upgrade? do you think its a good thing to do for my car since its got as many miles as it does, or should i stick with the crude stuff? any opinions would be appreciated, i am ready to do the conversion to mobil 1 just want some opinions first. thanks!

frankie89
01-29-2005, 05:42 PM
im running 5/30 now but i always used 10/30 mobil 1 wit a can of engine restore, at every chande now for 5years now... i dont know if my reply is if ant help but somewhere in this board you'll find an answer... :dunno:

zero.counter
01-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Stick with crude. The benefits that full synthetic would make like keeping internals clean and severely lowering wear are not possible in your worn engine. The wear has already taken its' toll and other then increased protection due to the polymers and additives in the full synthetic, would be useless at this point. The stuff also runs like water and would seep past all of your worn seals, leaving piss spots on your sidewalks. And since you will be paying in excess of $4 per quart, just save it and use some of the high mileage stuff which would be best suitable in your case.

hootymo
01-29-2005, 06:12 PM
thank you, will do! thats all i needed to know, what brand/viscosity is recommended?