PDA

View Full Version : Running Rough...

AD9SloAccrd
01-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Alright, this morning I went out to start my car because it has been freezing out and I hadn't driven my car in a week and a half or so. The car started up just fine, but it was running really crappy. I would try and rev it up a little bit and it just sputtered a lot and really didn't want to go above 3,000 - 3,500. I let it run for a good ten minutes and it really didn't smooth itself out at all. What could it be??? :dunno:

BTW, the car is an 89 LX

Thanks

AccordNut
01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
sounds like you're getting a miss, i remember this happened once to me while changing out the distirbutor/plugs/plug wires. Just inspect your entire ignition system make sure everything is on good and you have clean connections...that might help

88accordalltheway
01-30-2005, 11:17 AM
yeah reallycheck out the dist cap, i bet you a dollar that theres a bunch of shit in there. if its not ignition, then you might have to look into rebuilding the carb.....

88accordhb
01-30-2005, 11:32 AM
carb froozed over? maybe...ha that sux.

A20A1
01-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Did you coolant temp gauge go up at all or reach it's normal spot?... might be that your coolant is still too cold or there isn't enough coolant to warm up the intake manifold and carb so you're having problems getting fuel.

AD9SloAccrd
01-30-2005, 12:21 PM
It started to go up a little bit, but not to it's normal spot... I've let my car sit longer than this before when it is pretty cold out and it hasn't done that.

AD9SloAccrd
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey 88accordhb.... what do you mean by the carb being frozen over. Does that have to do with the outside temp. or something mechanical within the carb is messed up.

A20A1
01-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Its the outside temp... air moving thru the carb is cooled and then frost forms.
But I doubt it would be a problem as long as the air intake temp sensor, hot-air door and door diaphragm, and pre-heater hose are hookled up and working

Fuel could also be too cold to vaporise and then you'll end up with puddles of fuel in the manifold that aren't reaching the cylinders. Also if the carb sits too long then the fuel might have evaporated in the float bowl so you'll need to refill the bowl.