PDA

View Full Version : EDM b20a8

gekko
01-30-2005, 10:55 AM
i got a good price on a b20a8 that has been in a 88 accord , could someone please just tell me what i need beside the engine and stuff, i could read so my eyes hurt .... i just need for someone to give me a couple of answers ...

do i need the trans or could i just use the one i got now ...

do i need the ecu ??

would like the header from my a20 bolt up to the b20 ?

what else beside the engine do i need to do a swap ???

thanks in advance

carotman
01-30-2005, 11:08 AM
You need the motor and trans. I would also get the ECU but only if it's different from the A20A. The thing is that the EDM B20A uses a vacuum advance distributor just like the A20A. The stock A20A ECU would work but it's always better to have the proper things for the proper engine. Make sure you get the rear engine mount bracket and the intermediate shaft.

Other than that, that B20A would bolt right to the car. You can always use your stock A20A engine harness to make the B20A wok.

And no, the A20A header will not bolt to the B20A.

thegreatdane
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Basically the B20A8 fits right in with your existing wire harness and with your current ecu. The difference is though that the b20a8 has an O2 sensor and your A20A4 does not, and because of that the idle CO potentiometer you currently have in your black vacuum box will not be needed anymore. If it was a B20A2 it would fit right in with your existing harness I believe.

But you should still get the ecu with it since it probably has other fuel maps.

thegreatdane
01-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Oh and if you need help with the ecu pinout of the b20a8 and the a20a4 let me know and i'll try and get them written down for you.

hondamanlxi
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
hey when you finish your swap i want your a20a4 ecu!! no more c/e light...

gekko
01-31-2005, 01:20 PM
thanks for all of the informative posts :bow:

just a few more answers needed ..

now with a b20 engine is it possible to get a DC header that is still in production ?

is it worth it ? or should i just beef up my a20

and what makes the JDM output 160 hp and the EDM 137 , whats the difference ?

as my english is not so good , what is the intermediate shaft :uh:

i know this is noob , but i never really thought of the b20 swap before i good this offer on a b20 so i have never read up on it

Lok
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I think the differences between EMD B20a and JDM B20A are the different cams
and the different ECU.
Compresion Ratio is exactly the same for the two engines: 9.5:1.
If you could find a jdm ECU PH3 and a set of jdm CAMS youl'be O.K, with one cold air induction and one cat-back exhaust, you'll pass 165hp and 19.5kg.m....which will
be great.

thegreatdane
02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
The difference is that the ignition is electronically advanced on the JDM B20A instead of being advanced by vacuum on the B20A8. You can convert the B20A8 to electronic advance if you get a distributor from a 88-91 prelude + some various parts (carotman has made a good description of doing it) and an ECU from the JDM B20A which is actually possible to get. The cams might also be different, I'm not sure, but you can always get them regrinded.

An intermediate shaft is that on the B20A the left drive axle is divided in two axles, unlike the A20A4 that has one long, and the one of the two axles is bolted to the engine and is called the intermediate shaft.

buds302
02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
hey does that b20a8 fit in our american cars over here? or is it one of those "only in other countries" shit?