PDA

View Full Version : Fire Hydrant Fight, Accord wins

kaymo
01-30-2005, 02:56 PM
maybe i shouldnt have been driving in the ice, but hey im a teenager i know everything right?
Well, my 88 Accord LXi didn't like that fire hydrant where it was, so it decided it was going to tackle it at 35mph. as much at the fire hydrant didn't want to move, the accord did not care. transmission grabbed it as it went under and i took it with me about 12 feet. once it was all said and done, my transmission tee tottered on top of the hydrant so i couldnt move. my friend with a jeep luckily lived right down the street. he came and pulled me off of the hydrant which is now buried in the ground. i slowly limped back to my friend's, i wasnt about to let my parents know what happened. this morning when i was leaving my friend's house... i was backing out, the road wasnt clear so i stepped pretty good on the brake and felt the passenger side of the car kinda drop funny and clunk. just ten minutes ago i had my friend stand on that side of the car while i accelerated and step on the brake. his expression went from a casual smile to someone just died. he informed me that my passenger wheel moved about an inch and a half when i step down on the brake. im pretty scared because i dont know what to think yet. whatever it is, im sure it will be fun.

Later

88accordhb
01-30-2005, 03:02 PM
hahahha cool

Mike's89AccordLX
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
You might have busted a tie rod. I dunno hard to tell from your description.

accordlxi2.0
01-30-2005, 03:19 PM
i think its that bar that goes from the lower ball joint to the frame assembly....thats probably broke.

damn nothing else was damaged????

kaymo
01-30-2005, 04:23 PM
uuhh yeah my bumber (lol) is pushed in on passenger side. it cracked the plastic in a few places on the bumper. there is a perfect condition matching color bumper at my local junkyard... im either gonna get it or i was gonna see what else fits... i heard first gen integra bumper... i was gonna see about the 88-91 prelude bumper. theres a perfect conditon one of those up there too.. but its red... doesnt really match my white car. I wanted to add a lip or something. originally i was just gonna mod it enough to fit my prelude foglights in.. now ive got stuff i gotta redo.... fun fun. I've been reading alot into fiberglassing and it doesnt seem hard... i think i want to do a kinda custom bumper made from maybe two stock bumpers or maybe a stock one and something else. I'm suprised more people dont do custom junkyard bumpers (other than just a lip)
anyone else tried this?

2drSE-i
01-30-2005, 04:41 PM
yea a bunch of people have, with CRX lips, cant remember the guy tho, it looks AWESOME
Yes, us teenagers do know everything....but i never do stupid shit in my baby
:)

bobafett
01-30-2005, 06:36 PM
bumber eh? thats a classic 3geez joke! ;)

yeah you could have a lot more damage than that. be careful man!

kaymo
01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
okay i think it is a draw now. I jacked her up and started checking for damage. my tranny looks fine... one or two gouges nothing serious. this made feel better about the drivetrain. if you are looking at the front underside of the car, it dented the crossmember next to where you access the bolt for the rod that goes over to the suspension. the rod itself seems to be slightly bent. I think the crossmember itself is loose and what may be causing my shifting. the more i looked underneath, i noticed that my radiator plug is now against the crossmember. that cant be right i said to myself. look a little more and realize that the part of the frame that goes down beside the headlight is bent in. i wont be able to tell everything till i get it on the lift tomorrow at school and start pulling shit apart. shit i hope tomorrow isn't the start of my next class... i was wanting to skip and just be out in the shop pulling shit apart. god this is going to suck trying to get all this shit fixed and together. now that i think about it im pretty scared that i bent the frame where the crossmemeber is attached...
also i would believe its a good possiblity that my ball joints got fucked... i know i wont be able to tell till i get all this other shit fixed but in the case that i do need them is there anyone here that has a parts car with good passenger ball joints they'd want to sell for cheap? i hear they're like 90 bucks new... anyway thanks guys. ill update tomorrow

james

maka_RTH
01-30-2005, 09:57 PM
balljoints aren't that expensive. look on ebay for them. i'd say $90 tops for a pair including expensive shipping, but you can easily find a better deal than that. if you need a new tie rod(the bar from the crossmember to the lower control arm) i do have one already off my parts car. and yah, hopefully your frame isn't too messed up, if at all.

2drSE-i
01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
ok, for the love of your car, never do anything that stupid again!

lol j/k, but really, dont ram shit in ur car, thats what trucks are for
or parts cars :)

accordlxi2.0
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
if that was the ball joint they would've been out.
i'm surprised....damn a fire hydrant.
i hit a pole ...a thin one at that in my cougar...it messed up the driver side headlights..grille...bumper...tire and rim (i was going about 30 mph) and even managed to break my brake lines.

kaymo
01-31-2005, 04:23 PM
okay for the record i'll never drive my accord in the ice again... i didnt know that my tires had zero snow ice traction... and the roads were clear... until that turn.. but yeah I learned my lesson real good. Got her up on the lift early this morning. my teacher got mad at me because we arent supposed to be in the shop without a teacher knowing... i had just got the lift arms in place when he came in. i was like i wasnt about to lift it up without coming and finding you first!! heh. anyway i got her up there and started pulling the bumber off. some cool black dude came over and showed me the trick to getting to the bolts. he said he had just repainted his accord. (there are like 4 or 5 3geez up at my school) anyway i got the bumber off. radiator support is kinder fucked... not completely but one side of the radiator is about an inch in.. which the drain plug is now against the crossmember. I bent my radius rod for sure i can see the bend. i also kinda fucked up the second crossmember underneath where my lower control arm attaches. lucky me, ive got an entire car with a good front end. I dont think my ball joints are fucked but i wont know until i fix everything else. my wheel sits about and inch back from where it was on one side... :) hehe
when im done stealing parts off of the parts car im gonna take it to my local junkyard and see if i can trade it straight up for a matching white bumber. anyone need any small things before i throw it away? im probably going to steal all the goodies.... door handles, headlights assemblies with motors... window motors... im sure no one wants the switches my mexican buddy who previously had the car painted the interior blue and white... what a clash lol. dont worry i wont let him do it to the 88 lxi hatch he just got. just thought i'd keep yall updated. i think im gonna grab the camera and try to get pics of things before and after i fix them.

later

2drSE-i
01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
just so everyone will stop laughing at your face
ITS BUMPER!!!!!!!!

lol bad luck man,

blahblahblah
02-02-2005, 09:32 AM
just so everyone will stop laughing at your face
ITS BUMPER!!!!!!!!

lol bad luck man,
I think he knows.. I think?

i.c.
02-02-2005, 01:29 PM
see...the problem is you g-ville kids don't know how to drive... come down to columbia and we would run you over :)

kaymo
02-05-2005, 09:20 AM
i doubt you could run me over when your ford problem is slammed to the ground. it is a fact that people in greenville can't drive. i will say tho im not as bad as greenville people, but i was being stupid driving too fast in the ice with incorrect tires!

accordlxi2.0
02-06-2005, 07:40 AM
damn....i'm just shocked though man....confused.
here i had a cougar... car bigger..sits higher...parts susposedly stronger than the 3g, and i was going 20-25mph..and i did more damage than you did to your 3g.