PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About The Dome Light

AQcz
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
1) When the Dome light is in the off position to my understanding it should never come on.

2) When it's in the middle position to my understanding it should come on when I open the car doors, maybe when I lift the handle as well.

3) When it's in the on position, obviously it should be on always.

1 & 3 work fine.

My problem? is this. When I put the dome light in the middle position it is always on as if it were in the On position (tried with doors: open, closed, car on, off, etc..). Same result. The light is always on.

I never used it in the middle position and jus for some reason decided to try it today so I don't know when this started.

Any Ideas?

88 accord lxi coupe

buds302
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
ok when you opn the door there is a little L shaped black plastic thing.it moves back and forth and it is the switch that turns the light on when it is in the middle pos.
there is one on both doors. now whith the door open you can trigger the switch and turn the light off if you have someone help you push both of them in and see if the light goes out. maybe the switch is bad but i dont know how to fix that.

phoenxislayer15
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Or, if you are really flexible reach across the seats and push both in at the same time. Or just spray em with WD-40 exercise them and then close the doors.

danronian
01-31-2005, 06:01 PM
It is really easy to fix the "L" shaped door triggers. Just take them off and clean off all of the dirt and rust and make sure both of them are grounded to the body good. THey are attached with a screw and ground to the body. Once you clean them and where they attach to the car with some light sandpaper, attach them and that rules out the possibility it is the door triggers. Do your door lights work when you open the doors? If they do it is probably the switch on your dome light that is faulty.

AQcz
01-31-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's the L shaped things. They function or at least seem to function normally. They only come one when a door is open, never at another time.

The only problem is when the dome light is in the middle pos it always stays on no matter what. I will definitely try what you said though. I never cleaned them off. Will do it later tonight and put them back in tomorr.

Thanks

Moodybluesr
01-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Since you have a coupe it is easy to test the door switches; when you open a door the courtesy light on the inner door panel should illuminate. If it does that switch is good... if it doesn't you may have a bad bulb in that courtesy light which would make it tough to diagnose a faulty door switch.

Tip for everyone - The door switches on 4th gen and newer Accords are of a superior design and very easy to swap into our cars (no fabrication) so the next time you go to a yard grab a pair. :D

danronian
02-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Do your door lights work when you open the doors? If they do it is probably the switch on your dome light that is faulty.

Exactly. I'll have to look at those 4th gen and up switches, considering I have to clean my switches up yearly to keep them working I wouldn't much mind swapping to some that work a little longer. Thanks for the tip!