PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using this clutch?

hondamanlxi
02-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Anyone recommend this clutch for nitrous and high(er) hp use? I know alot of people have them but i was mainly asking the turbo/n2o peeps.

90% over stock centerforce
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=140&vmodelid=010&vcatyear=1989&vnopinum=365%2B1293&vTitle=HONDA%20Accord%201989

Elijah
02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
The very first time it saw boost in my car it let go

RobT5580
02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I have a clutch masters 4puck sprung clutch and its the best clutch i have had yet. Keep in mind this is on my b20a but i would expect good from their other clutches.

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
clutchmasters i hear good things about but theyre spendy ($450 or so depending, more or less). Centerforce i rarely ever hear anything good about at all. I had clutchnet make me a 6 puck sprung with a dual diaphram pp (you can get a 50% stiffer than stock version also, non dual diaphram, thats 100% stiffer than stock)... Its overkill but id rather have a big clutch than a burnt one. You can get a full face organic disk, 6 puck,4 puck, 3 puck or kevlar disk any one sprung or unsprung... pretty much whatever you want. I paid like $380 shipped for my clutch and it looks like some real quality work, although i probably could have gotten it for much less if i went unsprung and just a 50% stiffer pressure plate (maybe 325 give or take) but it looks better than the spec stage 5 clutch i was using (3 iron puck unsprung) that was awful and lasted only 600 miles and was hell to drive on the street, and it cost me like $425... shitty

guaynabo89
02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Anyone recommend this clutch for nitrous and high(er) hp use? I know alot of people have them but i was mainly asking the turbo/n2o peeps.

90% over stock centerforce
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=140&vmodelid=010&vcatyear=1989&vnopinum=365%2B1293&vTitle=HONDA%20Accord%201989

Centerforce = stock pressure plate with sligghtly better friction material on the flywheel side of the clutch.

RobT5580
02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
clutchmasters i hear good things about but theyre spendy ($450 or so depending, more or less). Centerforce i rarely ever hear anything good about at all. I had clutchnet make me a 6 puck sprung with a dual diaphram pp (you can get a 50% stiffer than stock version also, non dual diaphram, thats 100% stiffer than stock)... Its overkill but id rather have a big clutch than a burnt one. You can get a full face organic disk, 6 puck,4 puck, 3 puck or kevlar disk any one sprung or unsprung... pretty much whatever you want. I paid like $380 shipped for my clutch and it looks like some real quality work, although i probably could have gotten it for much less if i went unsprung and just a 50% stiffer pressure plate (maybe 325 give or take) but it looks better than the spec stage 5 clutch i was using (3 iron puck unsprung) that was awful and lasted only 600 miles and was hell to drive on the street, and it cost me like $425... shitty

My CM was $529 so yeah your right for some reason i didnt think it was that much. If your going turbo i would definately recommend based on the 750 miles i put on it so far. If you get a puck clutch make sure its sprung or it will engauge really harsh. I had an ACT clutch on my other car which wasnt bad but it had a bit of chatter which i cant stand.

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2005, 07:19 PM
yeah id reccomend the clutchnet clutch based on my experiences too. The dual diaphram is a stiff clutch (i prolly should have gotten the 50% stiffer pp instead of my 100% stiffer one) isnt really bad to drive, it only chatters when taking off really slow from a light or somthing... and i have an aluminum flywheel, that may or may not have somthing to do with it. When i had only like maybe 250 miles on it i took it to the track and was doing 2nd gear burnouts no prob. im told that mine should hold in excess of 400lb ft...

RobT5580
02-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah i have the fidanza prelude flywheel and i have the slightest chatter when taking off but i expected some and its by far better than my expectations. As for pedal pressure mine is very good and definately something you could drive daily.

I guess i know how i blew so much money the small things added up fast i guess......Im glad im almost done with it. All i need is the TB since i just ordered the intake manifold and fluidyne radiator.

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
ahh rob you didnt blow your money, you just went for the best of everything

Sean
02-02-2005, 07:50 PM
the new spec stage 5 clutch is not a 3 puck its a sprung hub ( same as the ls1 ) with a full contact sintered hub and a superior billet pressure plate. also it has about twice the clamping force of a stock clutch. talk to dave over at speclutch.com dave norton and tell him you want the accordcentral stage 5 clutch package. its the only thing ive seen stand up and ive been through a bunch of cutchs. they also sell direct.

Sean
02-02-2005, 07:54 PM

im nto sure you got a spec stage 5 clutch. they dont make a 3puck for our cars that im aware of. the stage 5 disc the protoype is still in my car after 1yr of hard driving at 400hp and its a sprung hub with a solid friction no pucs. it even has a billet pressure plate and a dual diapgrham pressure plate. ive tried the clutch master. wait till you start making some serious boost. itll burn out quick as shit.

rjudgey
02-03-2005, 06:55 AM
yeah i agree with Sean the CM clutch is well overpirced they use pressure plates from cheap patent parts mine lasted only 10K in a N/A engine with about 160bhp before the plate broke, then after 10K the disc springs fell out after i changed the plate and ruined the plate and disc. The only plate i've seen not break is AP and the only disk i've not killed after 3K has been LUK. Currently using a very cheap DK plate and disc as a stop gap till my tranny gets fixed coast me £50 and so far has done 5K miles and hasn't broken!! But my next one will be a AP plate and Nippon Disc which i have spare which looks very heavy duty for a sprung disk!! LUK have stop making their ones unfortunately :0( But this is for us guy's with small Flywheels and clutches from 2g accord and ludes. P.S this flywheels is big enough for a 215mm 3g accord disk and i have a clutch plate big enough to fit it too!! Anyone else seen a make of plate for a 1.8 flywheels with a pressure plate surface of 215mm?

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2005, 09:35 AM
yeah im curious to see how long the clutchnet is gonna last... im guessing 20-25K miles at the most, the disc is reinforced soo the springs wont come out soo easily, and the pp was more reinforced than spec clutch i had... IDK sean the part numbers referenced out their stage 5 clutch at nippon power with the ones actually on the clutch... Hmm do you know what their stage 3/4/5 clutches are comprised of? Btw it felt only marginally stiffer than a stock pp on the stage 5 i had, but yeah it was a 3 iron puck unsprung clutch, the pp and the pucks facing the disc ground themselves down to the rivets in 600 ish miles, the flywheel was rather unaffected and was barely broke in, on my aasco flywheel

Sean
02-03-2005, 04:24 PM
yeah im curious to see how long the clutchnet is gonna last... im guessing 20-25K miles at the most, the disc is reinforced soo the springs wont come out soo easily, and the pp was more reinforced than spec clutch i had... IDK sean the part numbers referenced out their stage 5 clutch at nippon power with the ones actually on the clutch... Hmm do you know what their stage 3/4/5 clutches are comprised of? Btw it felt only marginally stiffer than a stock pp on the stage 5 i had, but yeah it was a 3 iron puck unsprung clutch, the pp and the pucks facing the disc ground themselves down to the rivets in 600 ish miles, the flywheel was rather unaffected and was barely broke in, on my aasco flywheel

it sounds like you had the older stage5 clutch. im not sure what the new stage the accordcentral clutch is. but heres what i can tell you for sure. its stand up to the over 400hp and 400ft lbs of tq my engine puts out so it cant be to weak. also its a vastly stiff clutch then anythig else ive tried. if you had one youd know it. talk to dave norton at specclutch.com tell him of your past experience with his product. dave is a pretty easy going guy. he will help you out when he can. here is the phone number 1-800-828-4379

again ive tested all of the clutchs youve talked about above not one has held up. and the spec accordcentral clutch doesnt even flinch. now if i could just get my axles and tranny finished. hint

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeah sean i got this one well before you contacted spec... maybe about when you were talking about it back in the day. Yeah my dual diaphram one is REALLY stiff too. I havent broken a clutch cable yet but i carry a spare one in my trunk just incase.