PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump?

Brentm
02-01-2005, 01:13 PM
K ive been having craploads of problems with my 86 accord carb'd here it goes.

Takes 3 tries to start the car before its running, first try it doesnt usually start, second try it starts but if you touch the gas it dies, then 3rd start it runs fine.

When Im driving and I'm at a stoplight and I press the gas the car dies. Starts up fine after (no flooding) but cant gie it gas to get across the intersection. Ive been told the carb looks alright from a mechanic.

I havent driven the car for a while now (couple months) cause I got my lude. I recently replaced the one fuel filter under the hood (other one was mysteriously missing and no signs of there ever being one:S) checked for vacuum leaks as best I could, couldnt find anything. So my final question is "is this a feul pump related issue?"

Brent

BlueBead
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Sounds like either a weak fuel pump or a clogged filter. I had a similar problem and it dissappeared once I did the filter behind the DS rear wheel.
the rear filter was like $5 at crappy tire, so I'd recommend trying that first. I'm not sure from your post if you meant the rear filter was missing, but it should be under a cover right up near the fuel tank behind the rear suspension.
If that doesn't help you should get your fuel system pressure tested to see what your pump is putting out for pressure.
Prince George would cost a bit for shipping, but I have a carbed Fuel pump sitting in my parts car. It'd probably be easier to grab one from a wreckers tho.
-BTW your car looks exactly like my old hatch. :rockon:

Brentm
02-02-2005, 07:28 PM
how do I do a pressure test? or is it something that I have to take my car in to get done. Also is installing a new feul pump something that is easily done in the driveway or better taken to a mechanic.

The rear fuel filter is completely missing, I've jacked the car up, and taken the tire off and looked for it, I can see where it should be, but it isn't there, I was told the car is on its second engine, so maybe the first was EFI, I don't really know for sure.

A20A1
02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
how do I do a pressure test? or is it something that I have to take my car in to get done. Also is installing a new feul pump something that is easily done in the driveway or better taken to a mechanic.

The rear fuel filter is completely missing, I've jacked the car up, and taken the tire off and looked for it, I can see where it should be, but it isn't there, I was told the car is on its second engine, so maybe the first was EFI, I don't really know for sure.

Hmm well the second filter doesn't look like the first one... it should be there unless it was removed by a previous owner.

You can do the pump yourself just remember that the pump has many mounting holes on the cap... so you need to make sure the pump is facing the same way it was when you removed it or it won't pick up gas properly. Simply mark the assembly and the area near it with allignment marks before loosening the bolts. Then lift the fuel pump assembly out of the gas tank.

Oh disconnect the negative battery cable... and the fuel pump power wire as well as the fuel line coming off of the fuel pump before doing work.

to do a fuel test you need to remove the fuel line from the carb and insert the pressure tester into the fuel line, then hook the fuel pump up to a 12volt power supply.

88Accord-DX
02-02-2005, 11:05 PM
how do I do a pressure test? or is it something that I have to take my car in to get done.
The fuel pressure is somewhere around 3.6 psi .. You can do a volume test. This is off the top of my head, should be about .47 liters in 30 seconds.
You have to do this with car running for 30 seconds, should have enough gas in carb. to run that long.