PDA

View Full Version : miss-fire

Silver86LX
02-02-2005, 06:43 PM
For the past two days, my car has been miss-firing a bit until it's fully warmed up, then it will randomly do the same if i come to a stop. I changed the spark plugs a few weeks back, and at the same time checked my wires, cap and rotor and all seemed to be in good shape (I changed them last spring which was about 8,000mi. ago). It shouldn't be my timing seeing how that was also checked and adjusted in the spring. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :wave:

A20A1
02-02-2005, 07:32 PM
The fuel filters... or Sparkplugs

What heat range are your plugs... you might have the EFI one's make sure you have the Carbureted ones.
Also check the gap on the plugs.

danronian
02-03-2005, 05:39 AM
sorry, accidental double post

danronian
02-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Could be faulty plug wires. I bought these ProConnect lifetime warranty wires and all of the boots and terminals pulled off of them, I know another person with them that had a misfire b/c the one terminal wasn't intalled properly. After it sits awhile you could check the plugs before driving it to see if they are oily, it could be oil running down from the valves through worn valve seals. That wouldn't explain the problem with stopping but that could possibly be a different issue b/c often carbs get flooded when you stop (I'm not sure about honda carbs but from my prior carb experiences this happened alot). Also depending on the brand of plugs, often the plugs will say they are pre-gapped for your car and they often are gapped at the wrong size, so you may want to pull out all of the plugs to check for this. But before doing all of this just make sure all of your plug wires are on the plugs and distributer tight b/c you never want to overlook the easiest fix.
ANother possibility is corrosion in your distributer cap. If you didn't use RTV on the seal for it they can corrode (unless you replaced the dried up and cracked stock o-ring type seal) real fast and that could produce some spark problems.

Silver86LX
02-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I had another look this afternoon and the terminal on wire #4 was bent and badly corroded. Also the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor cap was in bad shape as well. I went out and bought a new set of BOSCH wires ($36 CAD) and installed them. It got rid of the miss fire problem and smoothed out the idle. I just dont understand why these wires crapped out so fast. I've had them for less than a year!