PDA

View Full Version : Power Problems (Lights)

MattsAccord
02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
This last month has been hell with my car and this month is looking bad also. Well last month I replaced my alternator and my battery. So I finally got my car so I can trust it to start up again. But now when I get on it sometime the battery light will come on around 4 grand. I値l shift and it will go off. So tonight on the way home I was getting on the freeway and got on it so I could get in front of a semi. The battery light comes on and my lights shut off. So I find the side of the freeway and pull over. My high beams work but my low beams don稚. I know I really need some new battery connectors but would that be the reason for my battery light coming on? It only happens when I get on it like above 4 grand.
I知 going to get new battery connector tomorrow, I had to wait for pay day but I just want to see if that is the reason or not.

danronian
02-04-2005, 05:18 AM
It's a stretch but possibly when your car is at higer RPMs a ground might pull off a little and then go back on. Be sure to check all of your grounds (make sure all of them are still connected to the terminals by trying to pull them apart, if any do, that would tell your if it is bad or not.) and clean all of the connection points with sandpaper. Also use some baking soda and water, or battery terminal cleaner, on both your battery terminals and the connectors. Also check the tension on the alternator belt to be sure it's not slipping on you at all (sometimes mine does at high rpms when it's cold out, I need to tighten it). ONe last possibility you can't rule out after you check the afore-mentioned fixes is that your new alternator is faulty.

NXRacer
02-04-2005, 08:15 AM
i'd clean up all your connections both grounds and a power cables. Also, check the ground wire on your valve cover. Not having that ground can make your car do some STRANGE things.

mouchyn
02-05-2005, 08:38 PM
where did you get the alternator?

you need to grab a multimeter and test the voltage above 4k rpm. If it's high or low, then your "new" alternator is bad and that would cause a battery light. If you don't want to fuss with it, take your car up to any parts store. They should be able to test the alternator/battery/charging system for you for free (in the car).