PDA

View Full Version : Car broken down help needed please.

slickrick
02-04-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a 1986 Honda Accord Lxi. I was on the freeway at about 65mph when all of a sudden the revs shot up an the car had no power. Pressed the gas just reved high not going anywhere. Managed to pull over and then once the engine was turned off the car cranks but the car wont start. Engine wont turn over. Could the timing belt have broken? Any suggestions on what it may be? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

snow_man_20
02-04-2005, 02:26 AM
all i know is that if the timing belt broke it would have died going 65, no rev, no nothing, i would have just died.

nswst8
02-04-2005, 04:53 AM
If the car is spinning the crank, but not the cam this is what the timing belt is for.

$450 at any shop, less than a hundred if you doing yourself.

Good luck.

snow_man_20
02-04-2005, 05:35 AM
all i know is that if the timing belt broke it would have died going 65, no rev, no nothing, i would have just died.

mabie i'm wrong

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
If the timing belt broke, your engine would shut off imediately. In other words, it would not even run, much less rev up when you press the gas. It may be the clutch that has gone out. That would explain why the engine rpm simply shot up. It wouldn't explain why the engine won't fire though. An easy way to check if your timing belt is ok is to remove the distirbutor cap and watch the rotor. If it spins when the engine is cranked, then its not your timing belt. Hope this helps.

Robs89LXi
02-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Is it an automatic?
*edit* Okay, just looked at your other posts. Sounds like transmission/clutch problem, or you shredded an axle/CV joint. Why it will not start is puzzling though. Be sure to reply to posts you start though, so we can get more information, and to let us know what you eventually find out. I hate when people start posts with a problem, but then never finish with what the solution was. Please do this as it helps us to learn, and in case it happens to someone else.

slickrick
02-06-2005, 11:59 PM
I have not had a chance to reply because the car is still not fixed and sitting on the curb! The car is a 5spd and the clutch is new (3 months).

snow_man_20
02-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Is it an automatic?
*edit* Okay, just looked at your other posts. Sounds like transmission/clutch problem, or you shredded an axle/CV joint. Why it will not start is puzzling though. Be sure to reply to posts you start though, so we can get more information, and to let us know what you eventually find out. I hate when people start posts with a problem, but then never finish with what the solution was. Please do this as it helps us to learn, and in case it happens to someone else.

yeah i hate that too., i'm thinking tranny thing, i don't know what would cause it not to start like that. (if the starter is cranking the motor)
Test for spark and for fuel. After cranking it a few times smell under the hood for fuel. removing a plug works better to see if your getting gas. I would start with that. (if you still think its a timing belt you can feel if it's there through a small gap in the cover)

pendejo
02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Managed to pull over and then once the engine was turned off the car cranks but the car wont start. Engine wont turn over.

So the engine does not turn over, or it does? I'm confused? I agree, definitely sounds like a toasted clutch or CV axle, but doesn't really explain why it won't start, unless the starter isn't turning the flywheel because of the clutch?

SuperStuff
02-07-2005, 12:24 PM
I agree with pendejo. Toasted Clutch when rpms shot up and car not moving. Maybe some flywheel damage as well.

POS carb
02-07-2005, 04:31 PM
well if the car just went into "neutral" when you were driving then it can't be your timing belt, engine can only lose revs w/ a broken belt, the clutch being engaged would keep the motor spinning probably banging your valves but no noise otherwise during the coasting to a stop

the only things that can cause a neutral feel are, as mentioned, a clutch that isn't connecting, a broken tranny, or bad axle (disconected, broken, whatever). the fact that it won't start is either a coincidence or some freak malfunction, maybe your axle blew up and the debris cut a wire??? does the engine sound normal while you crank it over or does it make weird sounds? Have you tried a push start?

slickrick
02-08-2005, 01:32 AM
When i try to start it sounds a little like a metal grinding noise at the end. I have heard that the distributor is prone to fail on Honda's. Could this be related. As stated before the car cranks but wont turn over.

Robs89LXi
02-08-2005, 09:12 AM
You say clutch was replaced only three months ago. Did you have the flywheel turned as well? It is possible the flywheel bolts were not installed properly and/or may have sheared (I shudder just thinking of it). This would cause the symptoms you are describing, but that would be a first for me. Did you do the clutch yourself?

accordlxi2.0
02-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I have heard that the distributor is prone to fail on Honda's. Could this be related. As stated before the car cranks but wont turn over.

somewhat rarely on ours but mostly known on the 4th gen accords.
the shutting off and trying to start is weird.

snow_man_20
02-09-2005, 12:43 AM
I think your car has some demons :devil: , it sounds odd that 2 things can go wrong at one time but i can't see only one problem or part causing all the things your describing.

BlueBead
02-09-2005, 01:06 AM
ok, so clear some things up for me Rick; the starter will crank but the engine won't rotate? or it'll rotate but not fire?
Did you check the timing belt yet?
Other than that, I'm leaning towards Rob's diagnosis in post #13..... If those flywheel bolts didn't get their loctite and 82?ftlbs of torque, that might be your problem. If the flywheel is off the starter will spin but your engine will just sit there. It might even give it that metal sound at the end if its catching on some flywheel teeth once it loses its torque. I'm not sure how far you are from home, but I'd try getting it hauled home, or to wherever you had the clutch done at this point.
You can look at the flywheel thru a hole in the tranny case just down from where the block number is stamped. Use a light and shine it in... that should give you an idea if its off or not.
If you had the clutch done at a shop and the bolts come out its their problem and they should fix it for you. The manual clearly states that the bolts require loctite to keep them from coming out.
Good luck man, it sounds like a breakdown from hell to me...