PDA

View Full Version : clutch/pressure plate problem

MattsAccord
02-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok this in Justin86 ;) once again working on Matt's car. His clutch took a crap all of sudden, the pedal stiffness was gone, the engament point was very quick and rough. Pulled the tranny and the pressure plate has some slightly bent plate things.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/404000-404999/404252_268_full.jpg

For the clutch it has a lot of meat left but the middle peice on it is very loose which I think is the main problem. I'm not a 100% on the pressure plate, just looking for a 2nd opinion if Matt should get new one, and we have an extra clutch.

AZmike
02-05-2005, 12:58 PM
How is the release bearing? The only time I've seen something with the diaphram spring is when the bearing has failed and rubbed the end of the springs off. Do you have an extra clutch disc or an extra clutch kit? I'd replace everything so I wouldn't have to screw with it again anytime soon.

MattsAccord
02-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Yea thats what I'm thinking will be best for Matt. The bearing apears to be in good working order, but will be replaced. He has an extra clutch, but not sure if the pressure plate should be replaced also, but it might be best to do so. There isn't wear on the diagram spring, but in the pic you can kind of see that a few of them are bent in, they are labeled. B is bent in the most

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2005, 02:09 PM
that pp is fuct... replace it

MattsAccord
02-05-2005, 03:47 PM
What would happen if I just bent them back? There less then an 8th of an inch off. I have only had this clutch less then a year, and I dont really have the money to replace it right now.

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2005, 04:41 PM
its spring steel... youll have a hell of a time bending em back and it probably wont work, i think theres alot more to it than that, theyre bent for a reason. what kind of a clutch is it? Id use an Exedy/Daikin

MattsAccord
02-05-2005, 11:46 PM
It's an ACT clutch. So it looks like I'm screwed agian with money this month. So what kind of clutch should I get this time. I want something cheap but something that will last.

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
are you looking for a stock replacement or somthing a step up?

Oldblueaccord
02-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Try losening then retorqing the bolts. see if the fingers even out.

I think the PP is wrecked but Im not sure why that happens. My friend Chevy we put a bunch of cluthces in it and all cuz the same reason. Luckly they were all under warrenty.

wp

MattsAccord
02-06-2005, 12:39 AM
are you looking for a stock replacement or somthing a step up?

Something a little better then stock. Also something with a good warrenty if that is possible. I have went though 2 clutches in the last 2 years. A POS one and now my ACT that I thought was good. :Owned2:

Oldblueaccord
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Something a little better then stock. Also something with a good warrenty if that is possible. I have went though 2 clutches in the last 2 years. A POS one and now my ACT that I thought was good. :Owned2:

Not sure on our cars,if they have one, but have you changed the pilot bushing/bearing? Maybe the shaft is wobbling around and beating up the clutch.

wp

AZmike
02-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Not sure on our cars,if they have one, but have you changed the pilot bushing/bearing? Maybe the shaft is wobbling around and beating up the clutch.

wp

Not a bad idea, but there's no pilot bearing or bushing on our cars.

The two dowel pins on were used to align the bellhousing to the engine block, right? Have you tried contacting ACT yet?

MattsAccord
02-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Not a bad idea, but there's no pilot bearing or bushing on our cars.

The two dowel pins on were used to align the bellhousing to the engine block, right? Have you tried contacting ACT yet?

I need to try to find my paperwork for it to see when I got it but I'm almost positive it has been less then a year.

AccordEpicenter
02-06-2005, 12:16 PM
if the dowel pins werent setup right i think you would have had a much much bigger failure. If you are looking for a step up, i would say clutchmasters/clutchnet. I had an exedy/daikin and it was a good clutch but it was stock replacement, for any kind of performance id say def get somthing stiffer.

MattsAccord
02-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Well I just found my papar wrok and I was right its not even a year old. I got it last april. I email ACT so I see what happens with that. But whould would cause that to happen? Would it be something to do with my clutch, or would my tranny be causing any of the problems. Everything was lined up when I put my tranny in.

Thanks for the help guys, ANY other info you have is very much appricated.

AccordEpicenter
02-06-2005, 07:25 PM
i think its a pressure plate defect...

MattsAccord
02-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Well I took the pressure plate off and everything lined up. No gaps or bent fingers. But my disc is toast. When I was talking to the ACT guy on the phone telling him what happend and everything. So I need a new disc for sure my other one the springs were falling out and messed up. But the guy said that there should be a bearing in the flywheel. So I'm talking to Justin86 about it and hes like "a bearing in the flywheel is crazy talk", so was this guy feeding me a line or just lost or is there a bearing in there.

Also he said the pressure plate should be fine since there is nothing loose or bent in it I just need a new disc.

Thanks for the help guys.

AZmike
02-08-2005, 04:00 PM
so was this guy feeding me a line or just lost or is there a bearing in there.

That part is called a pilot bearing. Our cars do not use them. It's just the plate, disc, and release bearing.

MattsAccord
02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
^^^ So do you think If I just put a new disc in and used my ACT pressure plate I would be okay.

NXRacer
02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
hey matt, if you need a new clutch and want to upgrade, but you're short on money, i could probably get you one from that portland shop for CHEAP. It'll hold more power then the ACT and cost about 1/2 - 1/3 as much. :D

MattsAccord
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
hey matt, if you need a new clutch and want to upgrade, but you're short on money, i could probably get you one from that portland shop for CHEAP. It'll hold more power then the ACT and cost about 1/2 - 1/3 as much. :D

Hook a brotha up. PM me or give me a call. I need to get this together soon. :rockon:

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
i believe there is a spot for a pilot bearing but ive NEVER seen one actually used on these cars

Keachman1
02-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Our accords did come from the factory with a "pilot bearing". It is a small nylon bushing that snaps into the flywheel with shoulders on each end to hold it in place. Honda only offers them with a new flywheel attached. In other words, it's not available separately and you have to buy the flywheel to get it. Not very economical.

I've installed a bunch of clutches in 3g accords without this "bearing" and they've worked fine. Most people don't even know they were there because they get paper thin from wear and fall out.

I've also made a bronze bushing and machined the flywheel opening bigger to give the bronze bushing some wall thickness. Then press it in to the flywheel with about .002 interference fit. Make sure you have about .002-.003 clearance on the id to the input shaft on the transmission. Be sure to use oil impregnated bronze also. I did this on a car that was giving me fits with a jerky clutch especially in reverse going uphill. This took care of the problem. I wouldn't go to this trouble on a regular clutch replacement though.

I tried machining some nylon bushings and gave up because the wall has to be so thin with the stock flywheel opening and the lathe would distort the bushing.

Just some of the experiences I've had installing clutches in accords.

AccordEpicenter
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
i cant imagine itd ever cause a problem running without one unless your trannys mainshaft bearings were sloppy... which i have seen happen but that too is rare