PDA

View Full Version : paint the gauges arrows.

shepherd79
08-02-2002, 03:02 PM
hey guys,
i have indiglos right now, and i removed all my back lights on the gauges. so now at night all i see is blue and red gauges (numbers). but i can't see the arrows. so here is my questiong.
is there fluorescent paint that i can use to paint the arrows.
i want red color.
so at night they will glow all red.
Any ideas guys?

staticpat
08-02-2002, 04:44 PM
im not sure, but i heard somewhere that there weighted and your not supposed to paint them. can anyone confirm this?

hondaaccord_86
08-02-2002, 05:20 PM
i think that the needles run in a magnetic way... i think? well its not like you are putting on gallons of paint. but im positive that if you paint your needles that it shouldn't mess up the accuracy too much.

shepherd79
08-02-2002, 08:27 PM
so there is a paint. where can i get one?

jkim1978
08-02-2002, 09:49 PM
did you get the gauges from procarparts.com?
if you did... you should be able to see your arrows.... cause i do... or did you take out the lights on top... ? and if you did.. you should put the lights on top back on... cause it really help....

MoonScryer
08-03-2002, 06:55 AM
I have this same problem. I tried glow in the dark cloth paint, but it looked like crap, and didnt' glow anyway. I'm still searching.

Oh, and if you have the lights on top working, WTF is the point of reverse indiglo's? Just print some paper out and glue it for $5

DBMaster
08-03-2002, 07:02 AM
This is going back 20 years, but I used to be really into building plastic car models. There was a paint made by Pactra (No longer in business) that was fluorescent red. Maybe Testors' makes some, too. When I replaced the dash in my 72 Pontiac one of the things I did was paint the gauge needles with this stuff to renew them. They looked really good. I primarily used the paint for painting gauge needles on the tiny dashboards of the model cars.

Try a hobby shop. The paint used to come in other colors too, like fluorescent green, blue, etc.

shepherd79
08-03-2002, 10:06 AM
ok, thanks DBMAster.
and yes, i have removed the lights on the top. i like this way a lot better. i think with light on the top the gauges do not make any point.

jkim1978
08-03-2002, 01:09 PM
i understand what you guys are saying... with the lights and stuff.. but the lights on top aren't that bright... and makes the white face kinda like a indiglo green color... i tried it both ways... but i liked it better with the lights on top on...

and by the way... i haven't tried this.. but someguy in here long time ago.. tried sticking in black lights on top where the lights are supposed to be... and it made the needles and the face glow ...

shepherd79
08-03-2002, 04:37 PM
no i am sticking with no lights at all. i like the airplane look when i am driving at night.

hondaaccord_86
08-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jkim1978

and by the way... i haven't tried this.. but someguy in here long time ago.. tried sticking in black lights on top where the lights are supposed to be... and it made the needles and the face glow ...

yeah i read that a long time ago also. i did that, but only with a 5"inch neon. so the gauges have a blue-ish affect. ill post a picture of it when i develop the roll.