PDA

View Full Version : spark plug problem

AccordNut
02-05-2005, 03:45 PM
i was out checking my plugs today and i went to put them back in but the #2 cylinder thread wouldnt allow the plug back in like it was. i tried for hours to get it lined up like it should be, but instead i just had to force it in so the damn car would at least run. im positive the thread going into the cylinder is jacked b/c i tried other spark plugs and i even went out and bought 4 new plugs, same problem. how would this problem be fixed? right now the car runs fine with the new plugs but the #2 cylinder plug isnt all the way in. its more like 4/5 in. and its tough as shit to tighten down. help!

Mac
02-05-2005, 04:40 PM
At most auto stores they have spark plug thread chasers. It is suppose to rethread hole for spark plug. Start it by hand and make sure it is straight, then put a socket on it and thread it in. Tell them its for a Honda. I think it is metric threads.

mouchyn
02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
the correct way to fix a messed up spark plug thread is with a heli-coil. You tap new threads, spin in a spring looking device to make the threads the exact same size as the stock hole. It's permanent and very very effective. You can buy a heli-coil kit at any parts store for about $15.

88Accord-DX
02-05-2005, 08:45 PM
As mentioned, have to use heli-coil. The thing is that when you tap it out, the shavings will go down in the cylinder. The best way is to take the head off and tap it out, put a heli-coil in.

smufguy
02-06-2005, 08:09 AM
that sucks for you. Like they mentiond, the best way to do is to pull the head out and rethread it. but since ur pull the head, u might as well find a good replacement head from a fellow member around your place and get it replaced.

AccordNut
02-10-2005, 02:31 PM
problem solved, or so it seems...i bought a re-threading drill thing and now my spark plug goes in smoothly again. only problem is i hope the metal flakes dont hurt my cylinder too bad? i brushed most of them out but im sure some of them fell in. when i started the car it was idling rough, then it smoothed out and it drives just fine now

danronian
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Well if any flakes got in there the damage is done by now at least. I would have suggested possibly sticking a shop vac in the holes, but it should be fine anyhow.

AccordEpicenter
02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
id just hit it with compressed air