PDA

View Full Version : b20a oil pan problem!

adams86lxi
02-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Well i did something stupid today! I was racing a friends 2003 acura rsx type S and i lost the first and second race by barley anything and had him most of the race till the end. So i decided to go one more time. I was ahead the whole race then he pulled ahead alittle and then i gained on him so i was about a half a car behind him, and about 2 feet from the side of the car and i notice my side of the road TURNED TO DIRT out of no where! So i hit the dirt hard and my car only sits a few inches of the ground and i new i had to mess up something. So i get home and notice my header is scratched horrily but not to bad. My cross member is massive scratched and gouges all over it but other wise fine, suspension fine, but my oil pan is dented in the worst. It is dented in like a inch all the way threw. I dont think it leaks but do you guys think it might of hit the oil pick up tube? Do you guys think i could take it off and maybe pound it out alittle and try to fix it? If i cant fix it which car could i get one off of that will fit. 88-91 prelude b20a5 or no? And what could i use for a oil pan gasket? Because mine leaks alittle. THANKS!!!

carotman
02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, I was wondering the same thing with the oil pan gasket... maybe one from an A20A or B18A or even the B20A5 but I'm really not sure. I will probably need to replace mine soon too because I had to take off the oilpan 1 time to fix the drainbolt and the gasket leaks now :(

This is basicaly the kind of stuff you have to compare with an actual part tomake sure it fits. If not, I might just order one from Europe or something like this (if there are kind enough members to help us out with this).

I mignt even need a full oil pan if the drainbolt keeps leaking. :(

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
i would very much reccomend you take it out and pound it back into shape... if you dont and the oil flow is pinched off you might spin bearings

mykwikcoupe
02-05-2005, 11:52 PM
hey carotman justa quick tip with what i did to the a20a3 for now. the guy i got the car from. his dad is a desiel tech which means that nothings ever too tight. ive replaced almost every nut on the car literally. Well you guessed it the oil pan bolt pretty much just hung there dripping consistantly. So FRAM makes a quick drain or sure drain or something like that. I retapped the oilpan to make sure the little bit of threads i had were in great shape and JB welded the fitting intot he pan. seems great so far. Only problem is you have to use the connector to drain the car so dont lose it. Its way easy to drain no spills works slick for for a FRAM part. Thats what Id say. Ill probably do it to the b20a also. maybe not the JB weld part.

The pans are steels so you should be able to pound it back out but be careful not to hit an of the fins in there or anything.

adams86lxi
02-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Well, I was wondering the same thing with the oil pan gasket... maybe one from an A20A or B18A or even the B20A5 but I'm really not sure. I will probably need to replace mine soon too because I had to take off the oilpan 1 time to fix the drainbolt and the gasket leaks now

yea, for real i had to take mine off once too and i dont want to have to take it off again. And yes its weird but for some weird reason my b20 drain bolt always leaks and it bugs the shit out of me.

Thanks for you help guys. I will try to pound it out tommorow and see what that does.

carotman
02-06-2005, 12:53 AM
I think they leak because the engine importers let them sit on the oilpan. The B20A bolt sticks out just a little bit and I guess it bends the flange enough to cause a leak. This is driving me nuts. I got a brand new rebuilt engine but it leaks oil...

I might order stuff with Rob5580T soon so you may just want to jump in and split the shipping costs with us.
The pan gasket can be replaced with the permatex create-a-gasket but it's a little ghetto...

RobT5580
02-06-2005, 07:19 AM
My pan didnt leak within the 750 miles or so i put on it but i bought a brand new B20A5 plug/washer. If i had to re-seal my gasket i would probably use HondaBond that stuff is great although its not cheap.

smufguy
02-06-2005, 07:45 AM
why cant you just pull the pan and gasket, go to the local honda dealership and compare parts with them? or even lets say Autozone or pepboys or something. this would help a lot of guys with these B20s.

mykwikcoupe
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
hey rob/carotman whats the cutoff date for that order. id like to add some stuff to it if I could.

RobT5580
02-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I was considering it but realistically I dont need anything so im gonna hold off until atleast summer time. My uncles friend goes to Japan periodically to hand pick EVO's that he ships back here so im going to see if i can work something out with him. The good thing is he goes himself and picks the stuff out the bad thing is I dont think he goes often since they are used for Ralley Racing. But my priorities are shifting since I graduate school in may and want to open up my own import shop so I can't spare any cash right now.

adams86lxi
02-06-2005, 05:27 PM
alright i took a couple of pics of the damage i did to the oil pan and i was wondering does it look like its dented in enough to hit the oil pick up tube? I dont want to take off the whole oil pan because i need to drive the car. I drained all the oil and started taking off the pan and then relized i would have to take out a bunch of stuff to get it out and i dont have the time to do it right now but i need to be able to drive it tommrow. Does it look like it should be fine till i get it off some time and try to bend it back?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/adams86lxi/100_0457.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/adams86lxi/100_0458.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/adams86lxi/100_0459.jpg

carotman
02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
nah, it ditn't hit the puckup tube I think. The tube is in the deepest part of the pan and it looks untouched. However, you can't really tell unless you compare with a good shape oil pan. The pan contails less oil now for sure :D

I'll really have to check in a parts store if the gasket can be matched with one from another car.

adams86lxi
02-06-2005, 07:24 PM
hmm, well i decied to drive it around and it seems to run fine but there are some new weird sounds comming from the car. I think it just something rattling that got knocked loose when i hit the dirt but i dont know. Ill have to look at the suspesion tommrow. It kinda sounds like something rubbing too.

RobT5580
02-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I wouldnt doubt it since you bottomed out pretty good. I would just run through everything to make sure nothing cracked (suspension etc). You could have blow a strut out as well.

mykwikcoupe
02-06-2005, 10:14 PM
cool rob the later the better actually. i get alot more work in the summer and could afford more. just let me know when. i know i want 2 more engine rebiuld kits like i bought from you. thanks again. mike

RobT5580
02-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Damn, Im gonna have to go to Japan myself and gather all these parts for you guys....LOL

Hopefully I can work something out for you guys because basically i ate the shipping cost on the stuff for the extra stuff. So you guys were at an advantage with my last order. I hope to work something out with my uncles friend perhaps taking a trip with him but thats just my thoughts right now...

smufguy
02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
There has to some other kinda alternative for you B20 guys. I mean seriously, some of the parts should exist in other Honda motors. its weird that its like no where to be found or something. Crazy............

RobT5580
02-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I was going to try to get a Moroso pan but that never happened. Maybe sometime i will take my spare gasket for comparison but im tired of parts stores after the intake/exhaust manifold comparisons which was worth it since i found the H22 turbo manifold will work with modification.

PhydeauX
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Just use some permatex. Run a thin bead of black around the lip of the pan (go on both sides of the bolt holes) and bolt it back on. It'll work find, just don't put too much on there you don't want it to squeeze out and get into the oil.

andy

thegreatdane
02-09-2005, 10:01 AM
RobT, I might be interested in a rebuild kit for the b20a too, but like mykwikcoupe, the later the better. Be sure to let everyone know when this is going to happen.

RobT5580
02-09-2005, 10:41 AM
I will but unless i use an alternate method i probably wont get to help everyone out since the more stuff the closer the box will get to being oversized. Im working on finding a better vendor than my current one since he is making most of his money on shipping.