PDA

View Full Version : Issues with carb swap

markmdz89hatch
02-06-2005, 10:06 AM
So I decided to replace my carb on my Auto 89 DX, and happen to have a spare Auto 88 DX 3G sitting in the driveway. Now my issue is that after I got the carb off the 89, and started pulling the carb off the 88, I discovered that the carb is not the same. The transmissions gear selector cable on the 89 runs from the tranny, and attaches to the carb, where the cable end is on the same arm as the throttle assy.

Now here's where the problems start. I went to take the carb off the 88, and the selector cable runs straight off the tranny, and attaches with a Y, to the throttle cable just before firewall. So needless to say, I could use a few suggestions on what to do now.

I was thinking about pulling all the cables out of the 89, and replacing them with the ones from the 88. I suppose that's possible, but it'll be much more work then I expected, and I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

Please make any suggestions you might think would work. (Just don't suggest a 5 spd swap. I don't have the time, or all the parts I need to do that just yet. For now it'll stay an auto.)

A20A1
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
wait

keep the cablre connected to the firewall

The cable connected to the carb can be removed...

they are both the same transmission cable, just different styles of hooking them up.... the one thru the firewall is the better one to have.

A20A1
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Oh plus the cable runs thru the metal vacuum lines... don't use the metal vacuum lines with the cable running thru it... just use the vacuum line connector without the trans cable... and use the firewall trans cable.

It's not the selector cable it the TV cable
the selector cable runs parallel to the exhaust pipe and goes form the shifter to the trans.

markmdz89hatch
02-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, b/c the 88 (the one with the TV cable through the firewall) was the car that I was pulling the parts from, and the 89 (the one with the cable at the carb) is the one that had the bum carb, I ended up pulling all the cables and putting the 88 cables into the 89. Only bitch of doing this is that I now need to swap out the pedal assy. b/c the clip at the top of the accelerator pedal where the cables mount to is different between the two. The one from the 88 (b/c it had the two cables through the firewall) had a clip, bracket, whatever you want to call it, with two slits in it as pictured. The 89 had only one, and there was no way for me to get it to work with just the one slit.

I had to button everything back up for the night b/c it's too dark and cold to work on it. I'll just pick it back up tomorrow night after I get home from work.

Here's a quick pic of what I'm talking about with the clip/bracket at the top of the pedal for the cable(s).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p4760af7e1a85483f0d941a910c28701c/f536ebaf.jpg

Vanilla Sky
02-06-2005, 07:21 PM
look at it this way... makes a carb swap easy... that's the only reason i have DCOEs begging to go on...

POS carb
02-07-2005, 04:26 PM
why don't you just try and swap the bracket on the carb's throttle? you can keep the pedals and everything the same in your 89