PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty of auto to manual swap

88aclxi
02-06-2005, 09:29 PM
how hard ya'll think it is, also how expensive?

mykwikcoupe
02-06-2005, 10:17 PM
20 hrs tops. need basic metric tools and some mechanical skills. id plan from 200+ depending on which clutch you want

HostileJava
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Speak for yourself, mines going on 7 months now, granted I ran into some other problems and stopped when it got to cold out. I doubt you will have the same luck I am having though. I think it's all for the better since the car is getting alot of work done to it.

shepherd79
02-07-2005, 01:56 PM
i did the swap in 2 days by my self. the hardest part is getting those pesky pedals in place. there aren't much room to move around. the best thing is to take the clutch pedal out and slide it back on when you have the whole thing mounted.

thegreatdane
02-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Compared to an injection convertion it's a real piece of cake. But no it's not hard to do. If you've got the tools, and all the parts you'll be fine.

maka_RTH
02-07-2005, 02:11 PM
yah, it's pretty straight forward. if you can remove a tranny, then you'll be able to do it no problem. the most annoying part for me was bolting the troque rod and shifter and stuff together, since i had to reach up behind the exhaust and heatshield.., it was quite annoying to get to/at and i couldn't actually see what it was i was doing. pedals were annoying, but if you drop the entire sterring column.., it goes quite a bit more easily. good luck.

POS carb
02-07-2005, 04:08 PM
lol plan 1 weekend
just make sure you get the rear engine mount, starter bracket, driver side axle, and all the bolts/rubber that hold the shifter in the console. Also don't loose the flywheel bolts, the automatic's bolts won't fit and use locktite on them. The steering column and pedals are definately a pain in the ass and watch the razor-sharp bracket.

1987HondaAccord
02-07-2005, 07:09 PM
it took me 3 days, but if i had all the right tools and someone to help me line the tranny up when i was putting it in, it would have been much easier. Once you have all the tools, everything pretty much lines up. my problem was that the brake booster kept moving back when i tried putting the pedals in. damn that was annoying. oh, and i took the whole heat shield out too, and the battery is in the trunk, so that's more space to work with too.

BITESIZE
02-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Took Me 3 Days And Wouldn't Ever Go Back To Automatic!!!! Yippee Skippee!!

BITESIZE
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
P.s. The Pedals Are Easy Too....lmao....for Me! Muah Muah Muah!

maka_RTH
02-07-2005, 07:41 PM
oh yes, someone mentioned their battery in the trunk. mine isn't in the trunk(for my 4dr), but i removed it and the tray it sits on for more room. it's quite handy having that extra room. and yah, it took me about two full days(this was by myself), and i've dropped a tranny before. plan on a full weekend to do it, just in case. problems always arise of some sort. and yes, i wouldn't go back to auto, i hate auto's

hondamanlxi
02-08-2005, 07:16 AM
If you have a complete parts car, your set! Its very self explanitory once you ger started! BEWARE, you will probably need a transfusion after putting in the pedals!