PDA

View Full Version : tachometer jumping

AccordNut
02-07-2005, 07:19 AM
every once in a while my tach flicks up and down, just wondering if this is a simple sensor problem or if there is more to it? i havent checked to see how well everything is connected b/c i dont know how to(i think you have to take off the dash?)

AD9SloAccrd
02-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Mine does the same thing everyonce in a while, it has to be a sensor or something because the engine doesn't rev up at all, just the tach "flicks"

HostileJava
02-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Edit.

Read your post wrong, Nevermind.

viper15c
02-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Sometimes it can be a problem with the grounding of your car. My friend has a 91 crx si and all his needles were jumping and stuff and come to find out it was a bad ground on his tranny. So yeah just check all electrical connections under hood.

blahblahblah
02-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Same thing here (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=24945&highlight=tack)

Strugglebucket
02-08-2005, 12:43 AM
is it just an occasional really tiny jump? like when you're going a steady speed for a while?

sometimes that can be caused by having a few of your teeth missing on the timing belt. might be worth a check if it's old.

AccordNut
02-08-2005, 05:53 AM
yeah mine just flicks every once in a while, not all the time. I know you're supposed to change the timing belt every 100k and ive never changed it since ive had the care some 77k ago. is there an easy way to check it?

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2005, 06:12 AM
ok, when the engine is running, go under the hood, slightly rev the engine, if you hear what sounds like a small rock kicking around in the dizzy... your dizzy is going... if its not that it might be the coil

AccordNut
02-08-2005, 09:06 AM
whats a dizzy

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
dizzy=distributor

AccordNut
02-08-2005, 02:40 PM
ah that might explain a few things, i can hear some rattling coming from my distributor but i figured it was just a bad cap/rotor...so the whole distributor itself may be bad?

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2005, 02:59 PM
ah that might explain a few things, i can hear some rattling coming from my distributor but i figured it was just a bad cap/rotor...so the whole distributor itself may be bad?

Yeah id replace it... get one off ebay

Versanick
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
I flick all over to this very minute, once my distributor gets hot. No noise from it though. new cap and rotor. new coil. tried two different coils, in fact.

Where is the stock tach hooked up anyway?

POS carb
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
the stock tach hooks up to the coil

AccordEpicenter
07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
somtimes if the ignitors get weak the tach will go nuts, id substitute a known good distributor, and make sure the radio condenser near the coil is plugged in

Rendon LX-i
07-13-2005, 10:55 PM
My autometer tach does that to jump once in a while but the stock one doesnt. Idk. Thats nothing i gotta worry about right AccordEpicenter only if your stock tach jumps. I connected my ground in the dash thou. I prolly need to make a better ground.

Pro_Mod_Accord
07-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow guyz,,,making everything to complicated in here... :mod:

Just to let you guys know the answer to your problem is simple. It's not your coil, or the ground...or aything else but the "distributor!!

The shaft in the distributor is worn and is wabbling once and a while,,,over time you will notice a loss in performance as a result.

I've had this problem,,my tach would bounce randomly at times and would notice a slight loss in acceleration when this happens. Just go to a scrap yard and pick one up or else spend the big bucks and buy a new one.. :mod:

Versanick
07-17-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm waiting for carotman to send me the good distributor he's selling. He hasn't been around much the last two weeks, but I assume he's sent it out. I'm just waiting for him to tell me how much shipping was to send him $. I'll report on if the problem is fixed at that point.

My only autometer tach problem is that it stays exactly 600RPM too high most of the time. Sometimes it jumps back to the exact RPM (and is presumably even more accurate than the stock tach)... but sometimes it's that +600.

The flicking happens to the stock tach and my autometer at the EXACT same time. they jump around together when it's time for them to jump around. As said, only when the distributor gets hot. And when they're flicking around (like even to 8000rpm and so on), it seems as though the car loses TONS of power (almost studders) and sometimes doesn't spark (possibly MSD rev limiter, or stock?)...

When it happens, I can park it and leave the fans on for about a few minutes, and it will go away for at least some time. Definitely almost lost to a v6 mx-6 friday night 1/4 mile because of it. THe tachs were ALL OVER (not to mention the shift light flashing like a strobe at the eyes).. definitely losses of power and not able to rev high enough as a result.