PDA

View Full Version : JDM b20a accord engine rebiuld Q's

mykwikcoupe
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
So the wifeys car is going in the rebiuld. THIS IS A FRESHEN ONLY. Im wondering what would be the most bang for the buck while its apart and Ive got it where it is.

My first question is how much larger could I make the bore to make for some extra power?

Second, How much can you take off the head before you run into problems with the timing belt tensioner being too loose. This would up the compression a little maybe help out a little?

Next question, Has anyone looked at the heads to see how they flow relative to the rest of Hondas. Im thinking Im just going to do a street port. You know just take out the burrs from casting and such. make sure all the joints line up and all that simple jazz. Im going carbed so im going to use a weber 38/38 synchronous to make sure im not going to be lacking anytime.

As far as the header goes, Honda usually does pretty well minus the weight of the cast parts. Im going to reuse the stock b20a header and change the exaust to 2.25 all the way back with a cat, no resonator and supertrapp muffler.

Im not all too conserned with power but since the charge is the same for the work whether he takes of a few thousands or a few mils. Just looking for a nice streetable engine capable of putting out at least the 160 hp it was rated for with fuel injection.

Oh just one more thing. is it really worthe the upgraded ignition or will the stock stuff with a blaster 2 coil be good enough. This car will see 3k rpm 90% of its life. the rest of it will be when im driving and it wont go above 5500 rpm. It is an auto after all. Thanks and Im looking forward to some good feedback and advice. Mike

RobT5580
02-09-2005, 06:57 AM
I PMed you other infor but as far as milling the head for compression I personally wouldnt do it. If its messed up you will have a big problem which happed to my friend and had to run a thicker head gasket. So if you want more compression look into the pistons. I ran mine basically in stock trim ignition, ecu, exhaust, when i broke it in this december and it definately needs a ECU upgrade. Near the end it began to run lean even with my walboro pump so definately look into carots ecu swap. And i think the intake manifold is not up to par for the b20a. But if you get the ecu swap i think it will bring it close to stock specs. The torque was definately there but mine was lacking HP for sure as 88Lxi68 beat me with his F22 accord.

I wish i had time to do some tests with my AEM EMS to see what the ECU alone could do because im sure i would get it back to stock or better for sure. But my tuner is to far for me to mess around as to the turbo tuning.