PDA

View Full Version : Starter question

Neukam
02-09-2005, 02:12 AM
My neighbor gave me an 87 Accord LX-i with an automatic transaxle thats been sitting in her yard and it doesn't have a starter on it. Advance lists a Nippondenso starter and a Mitsuba starter available for it and i do not know which starter it had on it. Does anyone know if the Nippondenso and Mitsuba starters are interchangeable and if they aren't, how do i tell which one i need?
Any help would be appreciated.

snow_man_20
02-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Well :welcome: to the board, i think there the same, just not the same brand or price. could be wrong. Free huh, did it run and move before the bad starter? Well if it's free it's free. If it don't run you can part it out on this sight and probibly make some $$ on it. Good luck man.

AccordNut
02-09-2005, 05:26 AM
no starter huh? well i just replaced mine over the weekend with a mitsuba. i dont think theres a big difference between the two but make sure you get the starter for the automatic tranny. there are however 2 different styles, one thats round and one thats rectangular. you need to know which one you need, im not sure how to find out but if you had the old starter in you could tell easily. good luck

Neukam
02-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Well :welcome: to the board, i think there the same, just not the same brand or price. could be wrong. Free huh, did it run and move before the bad starter? Well if it's free it's free. If it don't run you can part it out on this sight and probibly make some $$ on it. Good luck man.

I don't know much about the car's history. I'm hoping that the starter went bad, but it is possible that someone pulled the starter to put on another car. I think there was a repair order in the car that said no start but didn't give any details. I don't want to part out the car, but I won't know anything about it until I can get a starter for it.

BTW I am glad that people are so willing to help me and I hope I will be able to return the favor.

AccordEpicenter
02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
they are interchangeable but they are different from auto to 5 spd. Id pick a nippondenso over a mitsuba, but im not really sure if there are any REAL differences, honda starters rarely fail (never replaced one in any of my cars, evAR)

Neukam
02-09-2005, 10:27 PM
they are interchangeable but they are different from auto to 5 spd. Id pick a nippondenso over a mitsuba, but im not really sure if there are any REAL differences, honda starters rarely fail (never replaced one in any of my cars, evAR)

Is the nippondenso the round one or the rectangular one. thanks alot for the info. :bowrofl:

AccordEpicenter
02-09-2005, 11:30 PM
i think green and rectangular... but im not sure

osmialo123
02-10-2005, 06:37 AM
When I replaced mine i got a mitsuba. My car was not the fule injected version though. I would recomend going to the auto zone web page and looking up which one they say.

smufguy
02-10-2005, 07:03 AM
IMO, i would get the Nippon Denso, this is cause the Mitsuba has a stupid plastic casing on the outside and when i was removing the bolt on it, shit cracked, so i went to the junkyard and took a Nippon Denso (brand new, even had the sticker on it) for about $20. IT works great cause its all aluminum construction and like mentioned above, get the one for the 5spd or auto, and they bolt right in, If u dont have the bolts, get them from the junkyard, theyare not hard to pull out, but an extension, 14mm or 12mm socket and a breaker bar would help u out.

Neukam
02-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll probably get a nippondenso from the junk yard in about a week or so. I'll let u know what happens.

Shadowkat
12-21-2005, 10:45 AM
hello! sorry to revive an old thread, but I figgured it was better than getting the old "use the damn search button" crap. Anyways, here's my question. Are the mounting bolts the same for the Denso starter as they are for the Mitsuba? I read in this post that the denso starter was a little better, so when i was ordering parts for my 5 speed swap from honda, I ordered the mounting bolts for the denso, because a local jy told me they had one in stock. So the starter bolts come in, and i go to pick up the starter. turns out the jy had a mislabeled inventory, so they couldn't find the denso, but had 3 mitsubas, so i'm wondering if i can just use the bolts i already bought for the denso starter.

Shadowkat
12-22-2005, 08:07 AM
c'mon guys. Does anyone know if the mitsuba starter mounting bolts are the same as the Nippondenso starter mounting bolts?

Honda-Master
12-22-2005, 10:51 AM
mounting bolts are all the same just reuse the ones you took out

Shadowkat
12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
thank you! My goal is to finish my auto to manual swap by the end of this year, so any parts that i can reuse will help.

StressSolutions
12-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Mitsuba is green and round, BTW.