PDA

View Full Version : Tach / engine problems...

el-es-dee
02-09-2005, 03:01 AM
So it started recently, as of a week or so..

I was pulling out of work, going down as usual, with my rpm's high (about 4-5k) in 1st gear, and I hit a bump in the road so I let off the clutch and slamed it into second. All the sudden, my RPM's were ridding funny saying they were 5k then down to 2 then up to 4 then down the 3 then up to 5, so I slowed down, took a corner and shifted into 3rd, then all the sudden, my rpm's were bouncing all over the place, 5k-3k - 4k - 2k

So I pulled over thinking it had somthing to do with having no oil in my car, maybe what happened had somthing to do with it, maybe not, but I had an oil leak I have since fixed.

Notice, that the tach was reading wrong, and my rpm's were not actualy doing that, they were normal.

Now, It doesn't happen every time I drive my car, but when I get the problem, I get this noise like the engine is being killed or having a hard time getting up to rpm.

Also, my exhaust makes a noise that isn't steady, it's sort of like vmmmmmmm b vmmmmmmmm vmmm vmmmmmmmm bmmmm

I was thinking I have a problem with my timing and am mis firing or I have a problem with my lifters / valves ( I belive they are called lifters, I only realy know older 350's n stuff...) perhaps my timing belt has slipped and is old, I am not realy sure, that's why I came here for your awesome help.

By the way, I have an 89 accord LXi stock motor and prety much all stock parts except when I had to replace my heads from my car overheated 2 years ago.

Thanks much for your help, it's always a pleasure to come here and get solutions to my problems.

-Steve

Strugglebucket
02-09-2005, 03:21 AM
whoa. sounds like you're pretty tough on your car.

check the connections on your coil and the distributor. if you think the timing belt has slipped just check the timing. should be 15 deg adv with the vac adv disabled. and if you think the valves are out of adjustment, you can re-adjust them; it's in the sixth post down in the how to's, i think. or just download the electronic shop manual stickied in the technical section of the board. should help a lot in troubleshooting these types of problems. either that, or just give us the details in what you've checked so far and we'll help you out.

snow_man_20
02-09-2005, 03:24 AM
:huh: Ok, think of the last time you had a tune up or changed your oil?? How about the # of miles on that cluch, mabie it's sliping, sliping really bad. Sounds to me like you drive it really hard. "as usual and 4-5k" Not usualy good. I think you might have a couple of issues with your car. Sliping clutch, mabie a miss fire, sounds like you may need a new clutch and if it's that bad a fly wheel too.

el-es-dee
02-09-2005, 07:03 AM
mmm, I think I have about 15k miles on my clutch, I just had that replaced 2 years ago, I just tuned up my car as well. I am not usualy rough on it, usual shift is about 2.5-3k, I use it as a delivery vechicle for work, so most of it is in town miles (yuck...) but not since the last 20k miles or so.

I just replaced the spark plugs and oil change last week, it was about 2k miles overdue, but, I do alot of driving on my car and don't notice that it's past due.

Bad fly wheel could be a posibility, since the last time I got my clutch replaced the guy said I had one that was a bit dinged up. I've thought nothing of it untill now. However, I don't belive this is a slipping clutch, because my RPM's aren't actualy going that high, it says they are, but aren't that's why I don't think it has anything to do with the clutch. It's sort of like a broken Tach... or more like a tach/speedometer on a 60's car where it bounces arround if you floor it, however, I could always be wrong.

As for the belt and what not, going to take a look at that later today.. If it's a clutch problem, I can have that replaced for 100$, I just want to use that as a last resort option.

Thanks again for the suguestions, and Struggle "Location: Vacaville, CA" I am in Napa ;)

Strugglebucket
02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
cool, you're a Napkin;)

it's pretty over there. lots of good backroads to get lost on.

el-es-dee
02-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Yea man, by far. I know alot of cool roads that are windy to take you fast car on and have lots of fun. I love delivering in this town for that sole purpuse!

Congress valey road, take old sanoma road up all the way, and it splits, take a right.

Then there is all the Avenue streets, fun stuff to drive fast on.

either way, I haven't had any troubles today, So, I am thinking it might just be my clutch now. I have no idea tho. I didn't get a chance to check the timing belt, because I looked at the manuals, and It seemed like more work then I realy wanted.

I could always trade it in for a newer, less mileale 3g! :)

snow_man_20
02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
I could always trade it in for a newer, less mileale 3g! :)

hate to tell ya but you have the newest 3g thay made. lower miles is always good though. good luck to ya.

roadhog
02-10-2005, 06:26 AM
I wanted to know if you could fit a 1990 honda accord motor into a 1988 honda accord lxi