PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Gas = Got What I Paid For

HondaBoy
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
ok, well friday, i needed some gas. i was just wanting to get a little bit so i didnt run out that night. anyway, i thought i'd just put some gas in at this cheap gas station. they always have the lowest prices my friend said, so i got some. only about $7 worth. after that my engine was kinda running as if i had left it sitting for a few months, like bad gas. so all this week its been running funny, like yesterday it dieseled just a little when i turned it off. so last night i decided to fill it up with some good gas and put some Barryman B12 stuff in the tank to clean it up. guess that helped because it is starting a bit better and running smooth. no more skimping on the gas. i'm guessing that gas station i had gone to doesnt get as much business as the other stations and doesnt have to refill the tanks as often so the gas was just old. the only good thing out of going to that station was the pump gave me more gas than i paid for by the looks of my gas gauge.

pendejo
02-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Yea, I'll pay the extra .10-.20 cents for good gas. I once made the mistake of getting AM/PM(Arco) gas in my moms NEW minivan, and I am not shitting you, the thing took 5 minutes to start after that and ran horribly. Burned that gas and never bought fromt hem again and it ran perfect. I never buy gas from some old crusty looking station, cause I know their gas has been sitting there for months!

2drSE-i
02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
7-11 guys, 7-11

always good gas!

NXRacer
02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Yea, I'll pay the extra .10-.20 cents for good gas. I once made the mistake of getting AM/PM(Arco) gas in my moms NEW minivan, and I am not shitting you, the thing took 5 minutes to start after that and ran horribly. Burned that gas and never bought fromt hem again and it ran perfect. I never buy gas from some old crusty looking station, cause I know their gas has been sitting there for months!
i dont know what it is about oregon Arco gas. I've heard they litterally water the shit down. I NEVER get gas from those fools.

I've always put nothing less then plus in my car and only go to the big 3 (shell, 76 and chevron). I dont even go to texaco, although there arent too many around here anymore anyway so its a moot point for me.

AZmike
02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I've never had problems with any of the arco's in Arizona.

88accordhb
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
91 all the time, usually 76/shell.

having an old carbed car, it just puts at least one thing to at peace.

HondaBoy
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
this station i went to isnt a chain, just like by itself. i usually get gas from either Citgo or Shell, mostly Citgo because i have a card for there. but there's one i used to go to that started getting bad gas, i think it was. every time i'd fill up there my car would seem to loose power. you can tell a nice fancy station usually has new gas regularly. there's tons of stations around here where i live though so finding a good one isnt too hard. that Barryman B12 stuff does the job at getting moisture and oil out of gas, like if you accidently put in diesel like my grandma did once. lol.

cubert
02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
the cheap station around here was actually caught putting water in their gas...funny stuff.

DBMaster
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I have been using a lot of Sam's Wholesale gas lately. They added pumps to the one right by my house. Very high turnover on the inventory. I have had to use mid grade for years and Sam's (like Costco) only has regular and Super. I just alternate fill ups and since I never let it get very low I have not had any knocking. Pretty good prices and very convenient for me.

Cyric_accord
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Well in the civic, I pump in 93 octane and she runs just fine. The old 3g gets some good old 87 and she runs just as well

snow_man_20
02-09-2005, 11:35 PM
i look at it this way it's $2 more to fill our tanks (gas light on) with premeim then regular. I keep close track of my MPG. I get about 5 MPG more with premiem then regular, 5mpgX10gal is 50miles more per tank at 2.10 a gallon you make your money back and your car runs better. Even a 3 MPG more would be worth the 2 extra bucks IMO.

my86dx4dr
02-09-2005, 11:58 PM
i dont know what it is about oregon Arco gas. I've heard they litterally water the shit down. I NEVER get gas from those fools.

I've always put nothing less then plus in my car and only go to the big 3 (shell, 76 and chevron). I dont even go to texaco, although there arent too many around here anymore anyway so its a moot point for me.
Oregon arco - SUCKS.

But to clarify, Shell bought out texaco when they went to the yellow and red color scheme, before they were green and yellow, and there was texaco, now. its not.

I know 4 people and live with 2 of them that work at double lee llc witch owns about 20 stores through-out vancouver/portland and 2 of there stations are still texaco.

pendejo
02-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Last time I was in the Portland area there was a Texaco station there, actually it was in Troutdale I think. All the Texaco's around here are now Shell, which is fine with me because I only buy Shell/Chevron gas. And NXracer, I've heard that Arco water's their fuel down, too. They are a bunch of focks.

DBMaster
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
That is odd. I have never noticed a difference in gas mileage with different grades. Even Consumer Reports stated that and that you should only use the octane level that prevents knocks. Putting in anything higher is just a waste of money.

pendejo
02-11-2005, 11:33 AM
That is odd. I have never noticed a difference in gas mileage with different grades. Even Consumer Reports stated that and that you should only use the octane level that prevents knocks. Putting in anything higher is just a waste of money.

I used to firmly believe that, too. Then one day I filled up with plus(89 octane) and got about 10 miles more per tank than 87 octane. I think the way I drove, and the station I used played a bigger factor in it than just the "better" gas, but still...

DBMaster
02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
It is pretty hard to eliminate all bias factors. Different pumps fill to different levels before shutting off. I hate the ones that allow the gas to overflow. Also, you can actually get a little more gas for your money when it is cold.

Ten miles on a tank could easily be based upon something other than gas mileage. I doubt any of us have done a true fuel economy study. I would think you would have to start with a done dry tank and put in a measured amount of different grades or types of gas. Temperature, humidity, and driving surfaces can mak a difference, too, so you would practically need a test track.

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 11:02 AM
over the last year, i've concluded i get about 22mpg. i check how many miles i go when i'll fill up, its usually for about 14 gallons, i can get 270 miles out of it. its closer to an acurate conclusion considering i've done this for over a year totaling and averageing up miles. i dont notice any difference if i use 93 octane rather than 87 octane though.