PDA

View Full Version : engine swap from carb?

rabbit_66_61
08-02-2002, 08:37 PM
i have an 88 auto carbed lx and i'm going to swap everything to a vetc engine and manual tanny, do i have to swap to an efi first before the engine? and i if i bring it to a shop what do they have to do make it work?

shepherd79
08-02-2002, 08:46 PM
oh man, you are talking about big bucks right there.
why don't you just sell the carbed accord and get fuel injected one.

rabbit_66_61
08-02-2002, 10:13 PM
can't do that bud i've already got my xenon body kit on in the process of molding it all to the car, i've shaved all door handles and side moldings and i can say i'm the first one his board to have welded and molded the rear door shut hell yeah baby!!! 4dr to 2dr conversion. plus all the body work i've done and preep work to get it painted. money is not a big issue for me since i work my ass off for it. I was thinking about around 5k for a pro shop to do the swap is this a good guess?

carotman
08-03-2002, 03:13 AM
The EFI conversion is a pain in the ass.
But if you change the engine at the same time, make sure you got all the wiring harness for it.

Anyway, it's still a pain

rabbit_66_61
08-03-2002, 01:47 PM
ok i know it will be a pain in the ass but if i change the engine that cuts down on the conversion right? i have less to worry about right? so i guess the main question is what to i need to covert from auto carb to manual vetc?

KingBlank
08-07-2002, 10:45 AM
sry rabbit but i welded my back doors shut to 2 years ago and made it tlook like they arent their.

rabbit_66_61
08-07-2002, 12:23 PM
yeah thats the whole idea to have a 2dr its hella sweet and custom, which is what i like, but i need to know what is needed to convert auto carb to manual vetc?

Sean
08-07-2002, 10:22 PM
figure on spending 7k becuase ye gonna need stand alone engine management.

h22fodoor89lx
08-21-2002, 09:05 PM
i plan on doin the same kind of swap from auto carb to manual vtec on my 89 lx ive had offers from people to get a b20 but im holdin out for a b18 what would be needed to complete this swap with the b18 engine and where could i find the engine and the parts

rabbit_66_61
08-21-2002, 09:12 PM
yeah give us some help please!!

Sean
08-23-2002, 10:37 AM
well the 86-89 lxi engine computer wont support the vtec engies period. also your better off with a stand alone due to te fact that the fuel and igntion can be optimized.allowing for alot of mods later on. swapping to as different ecm out of a later model car is an option but without the right tunning tools it could be a big waste of time. i have been working on some gm ecm stuff for the honda but its alot of wiring work and should not be taken lightly.

www.fuelairsparktechonologys.com

i think thats the web adress expect to spend rougly $2400 for the wiring and ecm . if thats the wrong webadress due a search for FAST thats the name ofthe company

fast efi should turn it up in a web search.

carotman
08-23-2002, 06:05 PM
The 1st gen B16A ECU will plug on our harness. Just need to add some wires

rabbit_66_61
08-24-2002, 07:57 PM
ok so what do i need as far as wires and electrical stuff?

night
08-24-2002, 11:02 PM
for a full swap, with a JDM 1gen B16, and just talking parts, i'd say 2500-3k. labor is a bitch.

this can be done and its not to terribly difficult, just takes a lot of time.

89NinjaAccordLX
08-25-2002, 12:52 PM
I read all that stuff and I still dont understand if the question was answered. Ok for anyone that knows... On a automatic carbed LX... converting to EFI IS a pain in the ass, but would you have to if you're getting an engine swap? I mean, its part of the engine. I dont see why you would have to convert to EFI before getting a whole engine swap. Explain this.

night
08-25-2002, 03:04 PM
as for that, no. there are just some basic things to change.

a decent return line and a fuel pump being it.

most everything else is all part of the swap. you will [most likely] have to change the cluster, so thats just plugging it in. only things to wire would be something like the a/c idle up

rabbit_66_61
08-25-2002, 08:12 PM
yeah thats what i'm really asking here!!!!! with a new engine i wouldn't have to convert that much stuff right?

night
08-25-2002, 10:24 PM
as for as "convert" i suppose not. but dont kid yourself about how much work this would be

Sean
08-26-2002, 12:31 AM
your gonna have to start paying attention. ive told you now in 3 posts. your gonna have to run some sort of efi. carberation is horriable choice for a vtec engine. i would suggest you look at motec or haltech. you could also use a factory 1986-89 accord efi wiring harness. but then you are still gonna have to use a p28 p30 pm6 pm7 ecm. and then your still looking at more wiring. also the vacum controls are gonna have to go so you ave more work to do. with the work involved with swapping in a different honda ecm you would be just as well off with any other ecm from gm ford or who ever. yuo need to get the point. you need to adress the engine control situtation as in fuel and spark management as well as emmsions and vtec activation.

start thining and do some reading. you have a carbed car your engine wiring is worthless.

carotman
08-26-2002, 03:43 AM
well said

rabbit_66_61
08-26-2002, 08:18 PM
thanks a lot to all ya'll !! i know what i'm in for i just needed the basic layout for whats ahead to do this swap successfully, tell it how it is.. what i wanted to hear.... damn i love this board!

3rd GEN
08-26-2002, 09:18 PM
yes you have to.. cuz the carbed cars, the carb sits on top of our engines..and the manifolds bolt up differnetly.. plus, efi engines, are not meant to work with carbs...

you CAN NOT swap in an efi motor to a carbed car..
you must, convert to efi first...

I was gonna do all the efi conversion and stuff.. but i have finally thought about it and decided... I am gonna sell my lx and get an EX-i...

plus cuz i want the luxury of havin a sunroof and all power options..

even after all i have done to my car.. I am willing to give it up for an efi accord..

plus i have low km's for an 87...I am not even at the 185k marks yet..
so I will have no prob trading in my lx...

RCracer
08-28-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by 3rd GEN
yes you have to.. cuz the carbed cars, the carb sits on top of our engines..and the manifolds bolt up differnetly.. plus, efi engines, are not meant to work with carbs...

On certain EFI engines the inlet manifold bolts up the same way. Its just the VTEC engines that dont like carbs.

you CAN NOT swap in an efi motor to a carbed car..
you must, convert to efi first...

I am swaping in a EFI engine (B20A) and not making my car EFI. It is staying on a carb.

OK its not a VTEC engine but I am swaping in a EFI engine (and changing from auto to 5 speed at the same time) without converting to EFI.

djsbon
09-05-2002, 10:15 AM
yeah i'm new here and i have an 87 accord dx 2dr auto... from what i've been reading on this forum i found out that it's carb?! she's actually not my car yet, but she's in my driveway.. anywho.. i love the 87 accord dx but i don't like the auto tranny and the carbed engine.. i think i need to do some more research on it and possibly talk to one of you guys who (seem to be) very knowledgable on the 3rd generation accord.