PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket on its way out?

1987HondaAccord
02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
i've noticed that my engine leaks little bit and i've been trying to find the leak for a while know. After applying some engine brite stuff to my car a couple of weeks ago, i've noticed that the passenger side between the head and block seems to be leaking a bit of oil. Is this an indication that the head gasket is going out? or is this kind of expected for a 200,000 mile engine? is there and additive that i could use to stop the leak?

thanks in advance!

Mac
02-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Check around the distributor. Where the dist goes to the cam, there is an O-ring that gets old and leaks.

1987HondaAccord
02-09-2005, 05:29 PM
i just had the distributor off a couple days ago when i was switching cams, and there wasn't any oil leaking out there.

AccordEpicenter
02-09-2005, 08:40 PM
look for oil around the valve cover gasket and the oil pressure sensor. somtimes the oil filter housing gasket leaks

Justin86
02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Sounds like the dizy, mine leaked like I mo-fo even with a new gasket. loaded it with RTV and problem solved.

snow_man_20
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
my dizzy is leaking oil out the seal. I was going to have a mecanic change it. How hard is it to change??

Mac
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
my dizzy is leaking oil out the seal. I was going to have a mecanic change it. How hard is it to change??

Not really too hard. I suggest that you mark the dist. so you can install it close to where it came off. This way it doesn't mess with the timing too much.

Pull the cap off and move it out of the way. Remove 2 vacuum lines (mark them so you put them back right). Remove 3 mounting bolts. Pull dist. out. Take off old O-ring and install the new one. Slide it back in and put everything back together. You might want to check the timing when you are done.

danronian
02-10-2005, 03:09 PM
It probably isn't the head gasket, as stated above, but if you make sure all of the seals around it aren't leaking, it possibly could be blown.
I actually knew someone with the same problem as you and it was the head gasket, he just wiped it off and sold the car because he was scared the head was warped.