PDA

View Full Version : A/Trans Shifting Eratically, WTF?

DeathRat
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Well since my accord was parked....Now with the new starter in it, I've got yet another problem all of a sudden.....My A/Trans shifts way too damn high now. 1st to 2nd happens around 6000-7500 rpms, 2nd to 3rd happens around 5000-6500 rpms & so forth. I've changed the ATF & it got better, but still there. All I did was change the Starter too....It was running fine before the starter was changed. QUESTIONS: Is there a vacuumn line to control the shifts? How about a shift cable? Any of these run near the Starter? BTW! It's a 88 LX Carb model, not TB! Let me know as this is driving me insane! Oh yeah....The Honda dealership was no help. then again, when was the last time they saw an 88 in their shop too...... :sadwave:

1987HondaAccord
02-09-2005, 05:47 PM
there is a kickdown cable that is attached to the throttle. if i remember correctly you should be able to adjust it at the transmission end too. try loosening it up a little. at the throttle end there should be two 10 mm nuts keeping the length right. i'm guessing something may have been bumped or something might not be seated right after you changed the starter. There are no vacuum lines, or electronics controlling the shifting points. good luck

DeathRat
02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I thought of that ..... Plus the Dealership said that too. But I was told that that cable on the Carb models doesn't go anywhere near the starter though...It does run above the starter on the TB models though.

Got to excuse my ignorance here...I'm a GM boy & used to working on GMs not Hondas.

ehulst
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Well since my accord was parked....Now with the new starter in it, I've got yet another problem all of a sudden.....My A/Trans shifts way too damn high now. 1st to 2nd happens around 6000-7500 rpms, 2nd to 3rd happens around 5000-6500 rpms & so forth. I've changed the ATF & it got better, but still there. All I did was change the Starter too....It was running fine before the starter was changed. QUESTIONS: Is there a vacuumn line to control the shifts? How about a shift cable? Any of these run near the Starter? BTW! It's a 88 LX Carb model, not TB! Let me know as this is driving me insane! Oh yeah....The Honda dealership was no help. then again, when was the last time they saw an 88 in their shop too...... :sadwave:
The Throttle Valve Cable (TV cable) is down by the dipstick..this controls the shift change from the throttle.....all u gotta do is lossen the top nut and then the bottom nut and then re mount them lower insted of higher..sounds like yours i really high....mine shifts between 3-4 grand 1-3 gears maybe 4-5 grand if i really want it too...thats still a bit high for the trans I think for my self ..and no there isn't a vaccum line that controls the shifts...its all fluid pressure...and the only shift cable is the one that goes into the transmisson from your shifter...for your starter...do u have the right one? On mine when my newer transmisson was installed they never bolted it down properly and put the wrong bolt size on it so i just put some washer to set it and it works like a champ now.....PM me if u need anymore help on the Auto..i'm gettin to know problems that happen from mine.....

DeathRat
02-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I'll try to adjust it this weekend....& cross my fingers.

ehulst
02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
sounds good...if that doesn't work try a search or something...I'm pretty sure its not an internal thing...i think you just have to adjust the TV cable....

DeathRat
02-15-2005, 05:14 AM
Well it wasn't the TV Cable it seems.....Problem still there though. :mad:

Maybe a A/Trans Chemical Flush will help???? :sad2:

DeathRat
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Well Honda Dealership NO HELP!

I wanted to take my Accord into them to have a look at it....All I got was "We can test drive it, then tear it apart if you like?" I wanted a chemical flush done, but they don't do that, just drain & fill their A/Trans.

Well off to another mechanic that did my timing belt I guess. At least there, they have a chemical flush machine.