PDA

View Full Version : Rotor warping: Se-i

w261w261
02-10-2005, 10:31 AM
It seems like every 6-9 months I have to have my front rotors trued up. I don't drive in a way that highly stresses them, e.g. getting them very hot then splashing through a big puddle. Just regular driving.

I know they are very sensitive to overtightening of the lug nuts, more so than on other cars I have, so I'm careful there - always a torque wrench, and I check when it's been done by someone else.

But still they warp slightly periodically. My question is, would an aftermarket rotor like a Brembo be stronger? I'm not concerned about the looks, because I have the stock Se-i wheels and you can't see through them anyway. But I'd like to deal with the rotors. Has anyone else had this particular aggravation?

Thx

Mike's89AccordLX
02-10-2005, 10:42 AM
When they put new rotors on do they clean off the hub from rust and other build up? If not then that would cause it to be warped.

HondaBoy
02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
mine did that. my calipers would stick and not release the pads off the rotor surface comepletely. dont know if that could be your same problem, but its worth looking at. also old rubber brake lines that are internally deteriorated can cause the calipers to stick not letting the fluid go back up them easily. basicly i had those problems.

RobT5580
02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
I had this issue with my current coupe and iv come to the conclussion that it was my wheel bearings. Iv had 2 different sets of rotors and then my AEM big brake kit which warped. But i turned my rotors and replaced my ball joints and wheel bearings and so far its been good. I could be wrong but it seemed to correct my problem.

danronian
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Alot of times the calipers will freeze up entirely or partially and that can kill the rotors real fast. We had a late 80's GM that the calipers would freeze up on and need to be replaced about twice a year. Sometimes cheap rotors do warp easily though. I know on my 75 malibu I threw on some $12 rotors and when you are stopping from 100mph or up the brakes will be pulsing like crazy. Now I realize why I shouldn't buy cheap brake products. ANother story about cheap rotors, my friend bought some for the front of his Del Sol for $10 a piece and as soon as he got them on and braked with them once they were warped, National Auto told him it happens alot with the cheap rotors (at least 50% of the time) they sell and that it is probably b/c they aren't cut straight.

NXRacer
02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
my first suspect would be your calipers. have you ever replaced or rebuilt them?? if so, how long ago? you might want to looking into replacing your calipers. if they dont release correctly, your rotors will warp like mentioned above.

smufguy
02-10-2005, 03:08 PM
yep if any its ur calipers, also using a regular mid price range rotor and a ceramic pad with good calipers are ur best solution. Wheel bearings are a big issue and probably be a harder job rather than just the pull and fix jobs like the calipers or rotors or just pads. i had warpage on my rotors before using shitty pads that did nothing but just overheat, cause fade and basically glaze my rotors and also the pads themselves. Then once i changed my rotors and switched to ceramic pads from autozone, they are extremely fine. So do that and also make sure the guide pins on the caliper, both top and bottom are greased thoroughly and have no rust. also check the resistance on the piston on the caliper too, if its too hard to push in, or gives u hell, its time to change the caliper.

shepherd79
02-11-2005, 05:16 AM
i had that problem with my old accord. I went through 3 sets of rotors and after replacing the calipers the problem went away.