PDA

View Full Version : No start, starting relay?

Dmitry
02-11-2005, 05:12 AM
Sometimes, my car (B20A2, 1987) don't starts. Usually it happens, when car is still warm, after 10-30 min. When I turn a key, ligths turn on, I hear the sound of PGM warming up, but that's all. No sound of starter. I try again and again, and usually it starts, but not allways, then I wait 5-10 min and try again.
My mechanic said it,s a starting relay (pull-in coil?), but I am not sure.
Battery is OK.

Oldblueaccord
02-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Sometimes, my car (B20A2, 1987) don't starts. Usually it happens, when car is still warm, after 10-30 min. When I turn a key, ligths turn on, I hear the sound of PGM warming up, but that's all. No sound of starter. I try again and again, and usually it starts, but not allways, then I wait 5-10 min and try again.
My mechanic said it,s a starting relay (pull-in coil?), but I am not sure.
Battery is OK.

If you dont here the starter yeah its prolly not pulling in. Not too fimiliar with the B motors but the starter is usually all in one on Honda's. It needs a new one. Could check your grounds and other connections also.

wp

smufguy
02-11-2005, 07:25 AM
its most likely ur main relay. A lot of symptoms u described are oriented with it. Just pull the main relay, Driver side under the dash board (check the shop manual). and resolder the solders on the bottom. put it back in and it will work just fine.

Dmitry
02-14-2005, 11:49 PM
smufguy, to resolder all the solders? I checked connections and they looks OK.

smufguy
02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
smufguy, to resolder all the solders? I checked connections and they looks OK.

yes sir, despite the visual checks, do resolder ALL of them, either with the same lead or with a new one, its upto you. it will save u tons of money, and only 15 mts of the solder time, once its done, plugged in and ur good to go.

Dmitry
02-15-2005, 03:04 AM
yes sir, despite the visual checks, do resolder ALL of them, either with the same lead or with a new one, its upto you. it will save u tons of money, and only 15 mts of the solder time, once its done, plugged in and ur good to go.
OK. I'll try this weekend.

shepherd79
02-15-2005, 04:15 AM
even if connections do look good, a small hair crack can prevent the engine from starting.

Oldblueaccord
02-15-2005, 04:30 AM
even if connections do look good, a small hair crack can prevent the engine from starting.

Again you can jump it out to test it. pins 5 and 7 I think it says in the book.

I dont see how this wouldnt let the starter engage but hey what the heck.

wp

Dmitry
02-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Ha! Something strange happen! Last week it was very cold (- 24 C at night, -15C day) and my problem disappeared by itself !! I have not even resoldered contacts!
It's warm again but my problem does not come back!
I am happy!

smufguy
02-23-2005, 09:34 PM
It's warm again but my problem does not come back!
I am happy!

dont get ur hopes up.

Dmitry
05-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Yesterday it happened again. I went to car electrician and he dissasembled starter and that cylindrical thing, that located next to starter. I named it starting relay and in manual it is called starter solenoid.
There are two copper contacts inside solenoid and one of them was burned out.
Starter itself was OK.
I replaced solenoid and now everything is fine

thegreatdane
05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Kyrgyzstan? Is that in Poland?

Dmitry
05-27-2005, 02:08 AM
to thegreatdane
Poland? :)
A kind of.. Eastern part of Poland :))
Just between China, Uzbekistan and Kazahstan.

snow_man_20
05-27-2005, 04:50 AM
its most likely ur main relay. A lot of symptoms u described are oriented with it. Just pull the main relay, Driver side under the dash board (check the shop manual). and resolder the solders on the bottom. put it back in and it will work just fine.

If the main relay is bad, i thought it will still crank but no start. And also if it's bad you wont hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on position. Also you won't hear a click when the "check" light turns off.

Mabie i'm wrong :dunno:

smufguy
05-27-2005, 06:20 AM
when my main relay went bad, it did nothing. some other relay was clicking everytime i tried to crank, but no starter or pump cause the relay controls both. SO the engine stayed still.