View Full Version : super stock big amp install

kaymo
02-13-2005, 12:58 PM
check this out we just spent like 10 hours doing this install\

http://webpages.charter.net/bluedarkness/james/

Two JVC Warren G Signature series 10" subs
300w rms 800 max each

Power Accoustik 1600w 2ohm stable amp
(purchased from speeddevil {great seller})
pushing about 330 rms on each channel

Jensen 200w just died, was pushing pioneer 6x9 220w
argh
anyone have a good 2 channel?

We raised the trunk about 4 or more inches, mounted two 92mm fans to cool the 1600, and insulated the floor and sides.

all hardware came to about 50 dollars, I ended up spending about 20 bucks total because I had a good friend with some wood and i got the relay to turn on the fans from the remote for free.

The wood trunk insert weighed less than 18 pounds easy without amps. wiring and amps brought it up to probably 35-40 awkward pounds. the box and 2 10's probably weigh 45 pounds. its so heavy it doesnt really want to move around the trunk without moving the carpet.

Please tell me what you think I spent all freaking night outside with my friend pulling this off.

88accordalltheway
02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
it looks clean....how does it sound?

Vanilla Sky
02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
looks good... how does it sound?

kaymo
02-13-2005, 03:56 PM
im having a problem with sound travel from the trunk to the passenger compartment. I can turn it up and hear my trunk rockin away but its like living next door to a party house... lol u hear em, just not the SQ you'd like to hear. I'm thinking about pulling my backseat carpet back off and cutting up some of the metal backing. i also want to pull my back deck off and see about how much metal i can take out there without loosing structure (or if i need to reinforce myself) and also removing some of the insulation under the felt deck. im hoping that will help. I don't particularly want to make an obvious port to my trunk... if I did i would want to put like a fabric speaker grill over it. i kinda like the stock look if you couldn't see

The trunk floor is now more solid than pretty much anything else in the car. you can beat on the top and hop in and lie down and it doesnt move at all. the folding side pieces you see not only make it easy to remove, but gives me two cubbies under the carpet on either side.

Ludi Mali
02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
you need to make some ports through your rear deck. I had holes cut cuz i added some 6.9's but it ruined the soundstage so i took them out and my subs sound awsome now.
something similar to how a hoodscoop would look i think works well. atleast some way for the air to move into the cab.

danronian
02-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah I did the same thing with the 6X9 speaker holes. I took the speakers out and left the grilles on and made them nice and tight so they don't complement the rattling of my tail-lights.

TJ89Accord
02-13-2005, 08:02 PM
just leave the back seat down :)

tim

oh looks good though!

Hash_man_Se_i
02-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks pretty good, I like the idea of a stock looking install... I'm curious how warm your amps get, I know you have fans which is a really good idea, but its still kinda enclosed.

Vanilla Sky
02-14-2005, 06:12 AM
i don't think he'll ever have his amps go into thermal protection... i think he's fine on cooling... i've seen quite a few amps down there iwht no airflow, and they never trip into thermal protection... the fans are a great idea, though...

and you can cut the metal out of behind your armrest in the back, or take you speakers out and leave the pods in place... that sounds like the best idea to me while keeping it stock looking...

hondamanlxi
02-14-2005, 07:36 AM
heres the lenght i went to get the sound up front. Note the slot across the top of the box.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_59_full.jpg

Ludi Mali
02-14-2005, 07:07 PM
dude that looks killer. also i like the idea about opening up the armrest hole.

Hash_man_Se_i
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
i don't think he'll ever have his amps go into thermal protection... i think he's fine on cooling... i've seen quite a few amps down there iwht no airflow, and they never trip into thermal protection... the fans are a great idea, though...

Ah cool cool, thats good to hear... I really think I might do an install like this then, it's awesome how clean it looks.

3gn86lxi
02-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Is it really that hard for the sound to travel through the seat?? I'm getting ready to put 2 10's and 1000 watts in my trunk.

kaymo
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
one word

hellfuckingyesitis

i just padded the trunk with 2 inch foam and it sounds alot better, but its still not right yet. i think im going to go ahead and start cutting metal out of the backseat, and see about maybe some metal in my back deck

watchyall think?

3gn86lxi
02-21-2005, 07:22 PM
So.......what has everyone done to transmit sound into the car???
I'm hoping to get my box this week and install it this weekend.

Ludi Mali
02-22-2005, 02:40 PM
you need to make some ports through your rear deck. I had holes cut cuz i added some 6.9's but it ruined the soundstage so i took them out and my subs sound awsome now.
something similar to how a hoodscoop would look i think works well. atleast some way for the air to move into the cab.

seriously holes in the rear deck up'd my spl 1.5db. but the rear window rattles now. I think its hitting the 3rd brake light.

Hondarul
02-23-2005, 05:04 AM
Oh, no... Not PAL... Why didn't you used MDF ??? It is heavyer but the density is much better... :dunno: