PDA

View Full Version : Tail light project

AccordNut
02-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Ive never really tried to mess with the tails before, but i wanna try some things. I just wanna know if its easy to remove them, and also how to change the color. i was thinkin you just spray the inside of the tail light with some spray paint? i wanna change the ugly orange turn signal to more of a blackish color

2drSE-i
02-13-2005, 04:42 PM
its ez to remove them, i think theres like 4 bolts holding it in, just disconnect the wires, as for the color, theres a how-to somewhere on here on how to paint them, what brand paints and everything.

i dont think anyone has tried black though, im sure you can probably get the same brand paint that will work fine on it.

ill find the how-to for ya

-Adam

88accordhb
02-13-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3748
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3454
both these were done by bullard123.

you can also tint the tails from the outside or paint it candy apple red which many, including myself, have done. both are transparent paint. don't just use any spray paint that's stupid.

AccordNut
02-13-2005, 05:16 PM
wow those clear/red tails look awesome i wish i could get a pair like that. well i was browsing around and i saw jigga put window tint over his tails and it actually looks very nice, but im wondering how well it holds up with the weather and everything? i suppose thats easier to do than painting.

2drSE-i
02-13-2005, 06:56 PM
yea but painting is permanant with clearcoat, and your right the tint wudnt hold up very well :-/

HostileJava
02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
its ez to remove them, i think theres like 4 bolts holding it in, just disconnect the wires, as for the color, theres a how-to somewhere on here on how to paint them, what brand paints and everything.

i dont think anyone has tried black though, im sure you can probably get the same brand paint that will work fine on it.

ill find the how-to for ya

-Adam

A couple people have done black, they use VHT nightshades since it will allow the lights to shine through.

danronian
02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
When you re-install the lights be sure to put some sealant around the nuts and anywhere the gasket ripped our you will have a wet trunk and some water-filled tail lights. Mine actually filled half with water as soon as I installed them and a bulb blew apart inside the tail light. What I did was take them off and I sealed off every possibly place water could get in them and now, about 6 months later, no leaks at all.

2drSE-i
02-13-2005, 07:57 PM
i never had that problem when my i replaced my taillight housing, but then again my dad did it while i was away so i dunno what he did....

nightshade sounds like the way to go

w00tw00t111
02-13-2005, 10:56 PM
I've seen a couple camaros in houston do that with the vht niteshad to the tails. I think it looks neat but, two things. First, at least to me, it was so extremely hard to see their brake lights that my dad has come inches from crashing into the back of them. So, keep that in mind. Second, a cop at my church said that it's illegal in texas to have any color in the front or back that is not stock. Don't know how this applies to xenon lights I guess you would have to read the actual law. The cop was just paraphrasing. Just my .02 cents. Good luck hope it comes out great!