PDA

View Full Version : How Audible Should The Fuel Pump Be?

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 10:20 AM
since i had replaced my fuel pump, its louder than it ever was before. its pumping the fuel nicely. but from outside the car you can hear it going. i dont think its really a bad thing. it just seems weird since i've never been able to hear it working before. like at idle, you can hear it slightly over the exhaust's sound. it seems like its gotten louder and louder. maybe i just wasnt noticeing it? i've been opening my door before i turn the car off a few times lately, maybe thats how i've started noticeing it. can any of you hear your fuel pump while the car's on?

AZmike
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM
The aftermarket fuel pumps I've seen tend to be louder since they don't have as much insulation.

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 11:29 AM
yeah, it didnt look like it had any insulating stuff around it. its just a replacement carter pump that i have in there.

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
thats ok to have a lil humm outside of the car, some are louder than others, ive heard of really really noisy fuel pumps lasting a long long time, its no biggie. My walbro 255 people tend to whine about that its loud... i dont think its that bad

SteveDX89
02-14-2005, 01:53 PM
thats ok to have a lil humm outside of the car, some are louder than others, ive heard of really really noisy fuel pumps lasting a long long time, its no biggie. My walbro 255 people tend to whine about that its loud... i dont think its that bad

Werd. That pump is mad loud. I was able to hear it inside the car with it running and I have a rather loud exhaust. It was dumping too much fuel so I switched back to stock and I can only hear the pump turn on before I crank the engine.

snow_man_20
02-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Some pumps are loud, my parents have a 92 jeep that just screams. It's so loud you can hear it over the 4.0 with exhaust, it drives me nuts. It's new too but the stock one was just as loud.

od2681
02-15-2005, 07:53 AM
one question..what does a fuel pump sound like???

HondaBoy
02-16-2005, 08:02 PM
thats a hard to explain kinda sound. its sort of a high frequency sound. i know on some suburbans i've noticed i can hear that same sound. something i noticed today is i dont hear it as much :dunno:. so i wonder whats up with that. only thing i can think of is that it was kinda cold when i could hear it and its warmed up now.

smufguy
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
one question..what does a fuel pump sound like???

its similar to an electical whine. If you have an electric toothbrush, remove the detachable bristles, turn it on and listen to the motor. Its the similar sound it makes.

THe loudest pump i have heard is my friends STI, that thin is a low hum/whine. I hear mine if i am a lil close to the car with it idling, but seriously, i hate them. even tho the pump hum is cool it gets to u after a while.

snow_man_20
02-17-2005, 12:27 AM
. even tho the pump hum is cool it gets to u after a while.

:huh: pump hum is cool??? I hate that sound.