PDA

View Full Version : Dohc + vtec - engine mounts = ??

ropponmatsu
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Yea i need to get a new motor for my accord, the thing is the person who is paying for it (my father), only wants a motor that does not require engine mounts BUT this engine must be dual cam (DOHC) and Vtec. well i know the vtec part of the engine shouldnt be to hard to do but the thing is i really dont know what cars have a dual cam 4 cylinder motor that will fit inside of my 89" Lx-i accord. even if i had to buy i new engine all together i wouldnt know what it is called. One other thing is that if i do find a dual cam motor (that is DOHC i think) it will have to be turbo charged applicable" {my prefferance}. IF some one could plz help me out here i would very much apprecaite it. :bowrofl: plz make a list of cars that contain this type of motor if possible. And plz do with speed before he changes his mind :pc:

Vanilla Sky
02-14-2005, 01:16 PM
the only DOHC motor you're gonna get that doesn't need new mounts is the b20a from the japanese honda accord... you're not gonna bolt in a vtec motor...

SteveDX89
02-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Get an A20A3 from an 87 - 89 Accord LX-i. Rebuild it, then turbo it. DOHC and VTEC are becoming distant memories and new fantasies in the 3rd gen Accord world.

ropponmatsu
02-14-2005, 01:54 PM
SteveDX89 Get an A20A3 from an 87 - 89 Accord LX-i. Rebuild it, then turbo it.

I dont know if you read what i wrote, But i need a motor that is DOHC and VTEC, the turboing is optional. (well it is essential actually)

SteveDX89
02-14-2005, 02:23 PM

I dont know if you read what i wrote, But i need a motor that is DOHC and VTEC, the turboing is optional. (well it is essential actually)

DOHC and VTEC motors all require custom engine mounts. I read what you wrote but what you want is not possible.

nswst8
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Steve did answer your question. There are only a few B20a available for the 3rd Gen. They were only made for Japan and Europe Accords "Gold Top & Black Top"

I believe that I bought the last available B20a "5" Speed on the east coast.

Your best bet is to build the current engine A20a3 for max HP.

But if you where serious, you should have seen the many threads available on this subject.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH :slap:

Hash_man_Se_i
02-14-2005, 02:40 PM
The SEARCH BUTTON is a magical thing.... I'm sorry, but this is all the board is lately... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, please.

There is more then enough info on the board regarding the subjects you are asking about.

But plain and simple, there is no DOHC and Vtec motor which will mount in your accord without custom mounts, plain and simple.

88accordhb
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
ray fong is making bseries mount. just fyi. and yes, do search.

b16's and b18's come with dohc 4-bangin vtec. i don't know if ray is ready to sell those mounts yet tho.

RobT5580
02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Swaps are not for people that 1) dont have a spare car or daily driver 2)Dont have extensive knowledge on honda's 3) have money. Swaps for the accord are not simple plug and play ordeals and if it were not for a few good members the existing swap parts would be worst to install. I have helped do 2 B-series swaps on the 3rd gen accord and its not something you can do in a weekend unless your very well prepared and know what your doing. Even my JDM B20A needed some minor adjustments and extra work so even that is not a simple ordeal but its as close as you can get.

Hopefully you dont take it the wrong way but you guys will thank me in the end. And those who have done it know exactly what im talking about.

snow_man_20
02-15-2005, 02:31 AM
bottom line

Dohc + vtec - engine mounts = wet dream.

simple math

I would ask your father to buy you a new car if you want v-tec. Like a civic. It wont be better IMO, but it can be V-tek. Good luck

ropponmatsu
02-15-2005, 06:31 AM
snow_man_20
I would ask your father to buy you a new car if you want v-tec. Like a civic. It wont be better IMO, but it can be V-tek. Good luck

Already ahead of you. :rofl:
But i still have questions. (1) How much would these engine mounts cost and (2) what is "IMO".
Oh yea and RobT5580 you say that swaps arent for people whom have money?? Y? :huh:

SteveDX89
02-15-2005, 06:43 AM
The engine mounts are no longer available. When they were, they cost around $600.

IMO = in my opinion

I think Rob meant to say swaps aren't for people who don't have money.

snow_man_20
02-15-2005, 06:46 AM
you really need to do a search, IMO = In My Opinion, and i think he ment not alot of money. The mounts arent made anymore and if thay are compleatly costom and are expensive. The drive shafts are also costom and expensive, the swap takes days not hours.

:repost: beat me by 3 min. I don't know how because it only took me a min to type the post.

SteveDX89
02-15-2005, 06:47 AM
the swap takes days not hours.

Try weeks. Don't ask how I know that. :kekeke:

ropponmatsu
02-15-2005, 06:48 AM
well, i think im going to have to get rid of my 3g accord. i think that a newer civic wit DOHC TURBO and VTEC will be better IMO. and as for RobT5580 well I know you werent refering to me. :confused:

snow_man_20
02-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Try weeks. Don't ask how I know that. :kekeke:

Holy crap i must type slow, i was just trying to get a point across. I was thinking about 2 or 3 days to get it in and two weeks to get it running.

RobT5580
02-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Im just being very honest and most people getting into this are using their cars as a daily driver. And for Steve's car 3 of us worked on it and all brought different skills to the swap. And trust me iv had dreams since about 1997 when i got my first accord and im still not where i want to be. Its taken me this long to develop the project i did over the past year and a half.

If you want turbo and a vtec i would go with a 90-93 integra since they are relatively easy to find and you cut out all the bs with swapping. Im only here to help and i know what it takes and iv been learning over the past 8 years or so. And if i had a different car i can assure you it would be much closer to finished than my accord but i like the accord to much to swap cars.

Good luck!

SteveDX89
02-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Holy crap i must type slow, i was just trying to get a point across. I was thinking about 2 or 3 days to get it in and two weeks to get it running.

Sounds about right.

88LXi68
02-15-2005, 08:08 AM
damn noobs insisting they know it all....

ropponmatsu
02-15-2005, 08:15 AM
88LXi68 damn noobs insisting they know it all....

whos a noob? :wtf:

smufguy
02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
damn noobs insisting they know it all....

lol, i know right. they just seem to ask the wrong damn questions all the time. whats up with that? :sad2:

88LXi68
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
lol, i know right. they just seem to ask the wrong damn questions all the time. whats up with that? :sad2:

I dont know if your trying to be sarcastic or not, but we have a SEARCH function on the site for a reason AND members responded to his question and yet he still insists "DOHC and VTEC SWAP". The quality of threads here really has gone downhill :thumbdn:

HondaBoy
02-15-2005, 05:50 PM
does your dad have some deep pockets or something? if so, why would you stick with a 4 cylinder? just a though, if your building a 4 cylinder turbo that you want to be a lasting engine, your going to have to spend some money. although you can build what i call a "throw away" engine. one that'll last a few years and need work all the time. see, a car you can buy brand new like many of the "tuner" cars they have out right now, you can be fast and make it faster and be more reliable. personally, i'd build my own engine. i like to do things myself. but even then it costs more than i'd want to spend.

smufguy
02-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I dont know if your trying to be sarcastic or not, but we have a SEARCH function on the site for a reason AND members responded to his question and yet he still insists "DOHC and VTEC SWAP". The quality of threads here really has gone downhill :thumbdn:

yeah i was just joking. no matter how many times we ask these guys to use the search function, they always wanna ask that has already been asked. sometimes they throw a fit when we get upset at them.

anyway, this topic will be dead soon hopefully....................... :ugh:

ropponmatsu
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
smufguy yeah i was just joking. no matter how many times we ask these guys to use the search function, they always wanna ask that has already been asked. sometimes they throw a fit when we get upset at them. anyway, this topic will be dead soon hopefully.......................

WELL EXCUSE ME!!!! every one is so rude in these forums.

maybe one reason that every one is so rude here is because they all have 3g accords, who can blame youll, i would be an aggravated rude ***** too if i had to drive one of these crapy cars around all the time. with them breaking down all the time and with a lack of avalaible HP and the lack of girly interests in them and etc.... :mad:

88LXi68
02-16-2005, 03:32 PM

maybe one reason that every one is so rude here is because they all have 3g accords, who can blame youll, i would be an aggravated rude ***** too if i had to drive one of these crapy cars around all the time. with them breaking down all the time and with a lack of avalaible HP and the lack of girly interests in them and etc.... :mad:

:lol: WOW...if you want a car with "girly interest" get an M3 or Audi. Best part is you are probably some 16yr old kid that thinks driving a civic with a muffler and altezzas is such a "pimp" ride... CYA NOOOB

RobT5580
02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
In reference to what you said these accords happen to be one of the best products Honda ever put out. On the hand of modifications these cars dont have crap for aftermarket support so if you want bolt on stuff buy a civic.

ropponmatsu
02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
88Lxi68 WOW...if you want a car with "girly interest" get an M3 or Audi. Best part is you are probably some 16yr old kid that thinks driving a civic with a muffler and altezzas is such a "pimp" ride... CYA NOOOB
well.... not a bad idea.

Anyways people at this forum suck and this website sucks
soooooooooo. Good Bye :flipa:

shepherd79
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM

dude cool down a little. we are just trying to tell you how it is with this accords.
Guys told you that if you want more power go with something else.
and yes, if you want reliable DOHC/ Vtec /turbo motor, you will have to cash out a lot of green.

nswst8
02-16-2005, 05:20 PM

1st off, no one is being rude you asked a question and you got an answer. Don't insult the 3rd generation accord it is one of the most reliable cars I have bought or owned. I have over 200,000 and with only moderate maintenace.

2nd, you ask a question that has been answered and discussed in great detail if you would do alittle research.

3rd, it seems like your to young to really understand the concept of the 3rd generation accord.

If you would only open your eyes to see all the possibilities you might be fascinated. The great thing about the 3rd gen is that you really have to dig into your own creativity to reveal the true wonders of this car.

smufguy
02-16-2005, 07:34 PM
man...... i gotta say, its just too damn funny. He feels hurt and he feels humiliated (even tho no one treated him that way) and then takes it out on the car. If you can go into the advanced reply and make ur letters big, u should be capable enough to do a search or atleast understand the replies we give you. You have not been much online or been on different forums. Go to Honda-tech forums and then come back here with your evaluation.

back to this stupid thread: You have fun either staying or leaving this forum ropponmatsu. There are valuable things to learn here and properly used, u can get urself well grounded.

Tech^salvager
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
well, i think im going to have to get rid of my 3g accord. i think that a newer civic wit DOHC TURBO and VTEC will be better IMO. and as for RobT5580 well I know you werent refering to me. :confused:
Give it to me :) that way I won't have to buy me a G :rofl:
I'll take to the skies screwing with the engine and what not.

danronian
02-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Find me one car that is more reliable than my 180K mi. 89' accord. Daily beaten and it just won't leave me stranded. My Malibu had a cracked head with only 100K mi. on it, and almost the whole engine needed to be rebuilt at about the same time and the chevy 350 is one of the most reliable engines around. Since I bought my beat ass accord a few years ago for a mere $1900 I went from a GM man to a Honda man, what a transformation. I don't even tell people about my Malibu I spent years restoring anymore, I just find it boring and crappy anymore, even though the thing is show-quality compared to my accord with rusted out 1/4 panels and flaking paint.

86hondadx
08-06-2006, 01:15 AM
3gee accords and most others have been on the car and driver ten best list 11 years in a row i love my 86 dx hatch and wouldnt trade it if you droped a k24 turbo civic on my lap... 3geez rule!

mkymonkey
08-06-2006, 02:16 AM
ok...whats with the revival?

reanimator420
08-06-2006, 05:18 AM
oh no its tha monkeylol^^ he is in it now!!!lol i think this guy is gone now people. oh well, 2 much newb rice around anyways

A20A1
08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
If you rely on a car do get chicks...

Well all I can say is if you are confident with who you are it wont matter what you drive. If she freaks out and says you drive a 3G and that you have to get a newer car, then that is a sign, she's not that interested in you.
But if you like to spend your money to please that sort of person, by all means go for it.

ok...whats with the revival?

oh fiddle sticks! :Owned:

and he was banned too. :lol:

oh and if you read his other posts he was actually going to turbo the A20 at one point.