PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Took A Shizzle

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
well, i think 3rd gear finally just gave out totally. when it shifts into 3rd, i can rev the hell out of it and it hardly goes anywhere. 1st, 2nd, and 4th are alright. what a great time to mess up. 3rd had given me trouble before, slipping into gear then grabbing. now its sort of done this before, just not as bad. after driving it around and stuff it went back to normal last time it did this. hopefully it'll "fix" itself. i really dont wanna be messing with the tranny right now. still, i'm going to go check how much i can get a tranny from the junk yard i'm a regular at. i hope i can get it for like $50, its going to be another automatic because i dont wanna bs around with doing a 5 speed swap. not yet that is. maybe later. but yeah, it didnt feel promissing. if i do get the other tranny, i might put that one in and have my original rebuilt. i'm going to see how hard its going to be to take my tranny out and put another one in its place. i'll probley be doing this in the driveway. got jack stands, just need a jack that will lift high, so i need to go buy a bigger one. how much is too much for an auto at the junk yard? i'm thinking $150 is asking too much.

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
hmm sounds like you might have a leaky clutch drum or somthing like that

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 09:02 PM
something like that. i know the little clutch pack bs things are what has probley caused it. wonder how much that'll be to fix? oh, another thing is it also shifts into the gears hard, not a smooth transition to each one. also, 2nd gear jolts or clunks into gear if i dont let off the gas a bit before going in. does that give you any more ideas?

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2005, 09:19 PM
what does the atf smell like? does it smell burnt? Is the atf black?

HondaBoy
02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
it was months ago when i changed it. black and the smell made me gag. so it's F'ked isnt it.

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2005, 09:29 PM
probably, your third clutch is probably leaking, and all the others are probably burned up... sounds like its time for another one

Oldblueaccord
02-15-2005, 04:36 AM
probably, your third clutch is probably leaking, and all the others are probably burned up... sounds like its time for another one

Black stuff is usually the clutches actually. Sounds toasted.

I usually lower the car onto the tranny with the tire off it gets nice an low so you can pickit up a little your self and get it started. I have a small jack and it seemed to be more than enough to get the tranny out of the bottom. Least with 5 spd anyway. You can make some nice studs (2) to thread them in the block and use them like dowel pins to get it hung on there.

wp

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2005, 08:38 AM
when you put the new one on, PUT ON A COOLER... that's what kills our transmissions...

HondaBoy
02-15-2005, 10:16 AM
today i had to drive to school like usual. anyway, 3rd gear went in and hooked up, it did slip in slowly, but didnt slip out. it held the gear, not letting it over rev in the gear. i'm going to go check out this tranny at the junk yard right now. i think they'll let me get it for cheap considering nobody has touched the car in a while besides me. its the one i got my spare carb off of. i looked at what i gotta do to swap out the trannies. looks like i can do it with some time. i really dont want to though. i'm going to see what this mechanic i know will charge me. wonder if the guys at the junk yard will remember if that tranny was working. guess i'll find out. i'm guessing that bunk ass "tranny cooler" didnt do its job too well. a nice tranny cooler is pretty cheap, so i'll probley get one.

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2005, 10:21 AM
i got one off of a ford aerostar van... with everything to hook it up, it was less than $12... it's a 2 pass unit, about a foot long

HondaBoy
02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
i'll keep that in mind to look for a cooler on another car next time i go. they said $100. they will take it off for me. i'll ask if i can get the axles also and some other stuff. i'm sure they'll throw them in. i checked the tranny fluid. looked dark, but still kinda red, unlike how mine was, mine was black. driving my car around a bit, the 3rd gear seems like its going back to its more normal self. that's still not a fix though. anyway, i wonder if i could get this done in a weekend? i could start on it on a friday evening. then i can work on it during saturday and sunday, if i needed that much time. i'd probley want to pour out all of the tranny fluid and then refil it. on this automatic, does the tranny fluid need to be drained when takeing the axles out? it says to in the repair book. i'll probley need someone to help me with this too wont i? although i'd rather work on it by myself.

while i was at the junk yard i found a Merkur XR4Ti. body is in great condition, motor is intact, the 2.3 turbo. it has the 3speed automatic. they said it wont start. i'd think its a fuel problem of some sort. they said its a first come first serve buy. come to think of it he didnt name a price. i'm going to see how much i can get that for. not like i need another project car.

danronian
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah it does need to be drained. I would see if you can get one from a j/y that will guarantee the tranny to work b/c if not you lost your money. I found one around here that guaranteed it to work for a month and it cost $175 (and this was for a 5-speed), sure I could have gotten one for $90 at a non-guaranteed j/y but I figured I would rather have a good feeling it works. If the coolant in the tranny you are looking at to buy smells like it is burnt, DONT GET IT! If you don't know the difference b/t good and bad tranny fluid, smell the fluid in your current tranny compared to new tranny fluid.

AccordEpicenter
02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
If the coolant in the tranny you are looking at to buy smells like it is burnt, DONT GET IT! If you don't know the difference b/t good and bad tranny fluid, smell the fluid in your current tranny compared to new tranny fluid.

WORD... dont wanna do this job again

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2005, 05:11 PM
i agree... i had to do it because i couldn't afford the manual swap... now that i have a manual, i'm kinda pissed... it took me about 10 hours of work without looking at a manual, but it was my first major repair... you should be able to change it in a weekend...

AccordEpicenter
02-15-2005, 06:27 PM
the auto trans is heavy as a bitch, the big difference for me was i had to take out the radius rod to get the auto tranny out, without doing that its nearly impossible to get out. 5 speed you dont need to do that, you have all the room you need

HondaBoy
02-16-2005, 11:13 AM
the radius rod isnt too hard to take off is it? doesnt look very hard. now my tranny has gone back to how it was before. the thing is i have to let the gas off some before it shifts or else it goes into gear hard. maybe the TV cable has always been needing adjustment? i know its kinda screwed up, but its not slipping 3rd gear. until i get a little more money, i'm just going to be a little more gentle i suppose. the thing is that monday night i wasnt paying attention to what i was doing and didnt release the gas pedel before the shifts. it did this before when i did that. i think i might change the fluid in it again, it was really thinned out looking last time i changed it. oh, another thing is that on the weekend i was really being rough with it. spinning the hell out of my tires through 2nd gear. and doing a few burnouts through its shift to 2nd. now i regret being so rough. i think i'm going to have some time to work on my car soon, so i'll probley plan around that time to maybe do this.

HondaBoy
03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
well this bitch is acting up again. like someone had said above, the 3rd clutch is probley leaking or whatever along with the other burnt up ones. i think i'm going to try and go by a few tranny rebuild places tomorrow. i'm going to go by the one where we got the neon's tranny rebuilt. that new tranny made a hell of a difference, its actally a great tranny now. anyway, i plan to spend some money i guess. i'm going to shop around though and not go with my first stop. and i'm looking for a warranty or something.

HondaBoy
03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
my 1st estimate was $1200-$2300. sounds kinda like BS considering we got a neon tranny completely rebuilt for $1200, insurance paid for some if it though. other estimate was $970 as a base price, then they'll add the "internal metal parts" on later. hmm, so i'm guessing something like $1300 for that place. but, they offer a nation wide life time warranty. that makes me think i'll go with them, its Aamco. i dunno, hopefully i can get this done in the summer instead of right now. i'd like to have more money available when i want to get it done. 3rd gear is almost back to normal. i was screwing around and doing burnouts again. lol. guess the old 3gee was just gettin mad at me? just as long as it'll drive around, thats good for me right now until summer. then i'll have plenty of time to do stuff. i also wanted to get a new suspension put on in the summer.