PDA

View Full Version : Another 3G, but this one is for free...

zero.counter
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
My brother is offering me his 87 DX 4 door with a/c 5spd for free since he cannot find the problem with why it shuts down after a couple of minutes of driving. He replaced the carb, distro, fuel filters, plugs, cap & rotor, checked vacuum hoses, and still cannot find the problem. He did this without even so as to ask for my help. I told him that it may be a cooling problem as he has pretty much ruled everything else out and I have not seen it since the problems started happening.

Anyways, the color is aqua green. I am not sure what to do with another car as I have no more space. :sad2:

Too many damn cars! :uh:

AccordEpicenter
02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
sure it isnt the fuel pump?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Ditto... my thoughts exactly

Can't beat the price though! Good luck with it :)

zero.counter
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry, forgot to add that I had replaced with the new one that I was selling and it still died. The fuel pumps both work fine after having them tested for throughput.

SuperStuff
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Your main relay is probably going bad. It controls the ECU and fuel pump and when the car warms up looses connection. Check this fix out....

http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/electrical/main-relay/main-relay.htm

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-15-2005, 06:08 PM
i was gonna say. all the other things were told to me as well when mine wouldn't start but then would. different symptom but most likely the same cause. the main relay is under the dash on the left side of the steering column. i believe it's behind the fuses, if i'm wrong correct me. in that case there should be thread in the FAQ that will tell you how to fix it. hope you get it fixed.

keruhas184
02-15-2005, 07:05 PM
The main relay is only in the EFI 3Gs, there's no main relay in a DX.

SuperStuff
02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
That's right the main relay is for the fuel injected Accord. I wonder if the Fuel Pump Cut-Off relay located under the steering wheel is the problem.

zero.counter
02-15-2005, 07:42 PM
The main relay is only in the EFI 3Gs, there's no main relay in a DX.
This is true, but they did remind me of the fuel pump cutoff relay which exists and can cause the same problem. I am in the process of ordering one as we speak. If I can get this fixed, I will prolly sell the car.

Dutchboy
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
coil or mabye the ignitor??
hows it run when it is running?
even a bad ignition can cause it to stop! start testing things!

zero.counter
02-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I have been working on this car on and off for the last 4 weeks, whenever possible. So far I have:
Rebuilt and replaced the carb, replaced the 2 fuel filters, replaced the fuel pump with a new one, changed the oil, flushed the radiator, replaced the hoses, replaced the O2 sensor, replaced the thermostat, replaced the defective electric fans and included an on/off switch, replaced the plugs and wires and ignition coil, replaced the fuel-pump cutoff relay, checked all fuses, replaced air filter, replaced the torn air intake hose, replaced the distributor as a whole and the cap/rotor as well, adjusted timing, replaced the pcv valve, cleaned and upgraded the engine grounds, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced carbon canister, replaced engine coolant temp sensor, replaced valve cover gasket and tightened to spec, verified good compression, etc...yet still cannot find out why the car shuts off after either pulling out of gear or while driving for a little bit intermittently. This, again, is a car that was just given to me since my brother had no further use for it, and I have only worked on the autos. Throw me some ideas about the clutch...

Oh yeah, also has a new battery, starter, and alternator since I had these lying around from my old car...

A20A1
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
So the ground to/on the thermostat is connected?

What about the solenoid at the back of the carb?

Bad key ignition switch... I have a problem with mine shutting off my car when I jiggle the keys too much.

How does the choke look when you first start it and while it's running?

zero.counter
02-28-2005, 11:21 PM
So the ground to/on the thermostat is connected?

What about the solenoid at the back of the carb?

Bad key ignition switch... I have a problem with mine shutting off my car when I jiggle the keys too much.

How does the choke look when you first start it and while it's running?
The ground on the thermo is good. I have not checked the solenoid on the back of the carb, the ignition switch, and the choke is good. Thanks!