PDA

View Full Version : looking at some 6.5s for my doors.

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-15-2005, 05:58 AM
well i looked this morning and the part that connects the cone part of the woofer to the rim is gone. the mid of the speaker has a hole in it as well. that was only on the drivers side, i haven't looked at the other side yet. i've noticed some buzzing for a while now, but never investigated. i found some speakers at bestbuy.com, granted they aren't top of the line, but i just want some speakers that have some nice sound. the duals are in more my price range too, and i can install them myself. i'll throw a link up so you can give any advice you might want to impart to me. the look for them also fits with my pioneer 6x9's in the back and my dual HU. the neers came with the car.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1074787609826&skuId=6294244&productCategoryId=cat03076&type=product

snow_man_20
02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
well i looked this morning and the part that connects the cone part of the woofer to the rim is gone. the mid of the speaker has a hole in it as well. that was only on the drivers side, i haven't looked at the other side yet. i've noticed some buzzing for a while now, but never investigated. i found some speakers at bestbuy.com, granted they aren't top of the line, but i just want some speakers that have some nice sound. the duals are in more my price range too, and i can install them myself. i'll throw a link up so you can give any advice you might want to impart to me. the look for them also fits with my pioneer 6x9's in the back and my dual HU. the neers came with the car.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1074787609826&skuId=6294244&productCategoryId=cat03076&type=product

you can get a pair of pioneer 6 1/2 3-ways for 50-60 bucks if you shop around. I'm sory to say but i haven't heard anything good about dual mids. I know there amps and subs are crap IMO. I would go pioneer all the way around, there base mid can handle about 90W RMS (6 1/2) and 110W RMS (6X9). With a 25WX4 RMS deck it would sound good.

accordfever
02-16-2005, 12:52 AM
our cars use shallow baskets if you don't wanna modify too much Pioneer and Infinity both have shallow basket 6.5's Circuit City has Infinity 6.5's for 79.99 available in shallow basket or you can get the Pioneers I have Pioneers in my car can't say who sell the shallow ones they were already in the car when I bought it and only been working at Circuit City for a week now haven't seen Pioneer in the shallow yet but do know it is available somewhere. Also check Wal-Mart they sometimes have Pioneer speakers

snow_man_20
02-16-2005, 01:02 AM
our cars use shallow baskets if you don't wanna modify too much Pioneer and Infinity both have shallow basket 6.5's Circuit City has Infinity 6.5's for 79.99 available in shallow basket or you can get the Pioneers I have Pioneers in my car can't say who sell the shallow ones they were already in the car when I bought it and only been working at Circuit City for a week now haven't seen Pioneer in the shallow yet but do know it is available somewhere. Also check Wal-Mart they sometimes have Pioneer speakers

The "basket" as you call it is cut out with almost every aftermarket speaker. It's really easy to do you can do it with a hack saw or drenal. I took the houseing out and cut the back off with a hack saw and then cut the rest out with a pair of wire cutters LEAVING the rim intacked.

accordfever
02-16-2005, 01:05 AM
The "basket" as you call it is cut out with almost every aftermarket speaker. It's really easy to do you can do it with a hack saw or drenal. I took the houseing out and cut the back off with a hack saw and then cut the rest out with a pair of wire cutters LEAVING the rim intacked.
that is true if you want to go through that I was just giving ideas just in case he might not. Somepeople prefer to not go through that much trouble just connect and screw in.

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-16-2005, 05:24 AM
found the neers you spoke of. they were at circuit city, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-6-1-2-Speakers-TSG1640R-/sem/rpsm/oid/87380/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do and they are close to the price i was looking at for the duals.

snow_man_20
02-16-2005, 06:33 AM
those are kinda like the ones i have. I have the three way but those are going to sound about the same. I really don't think there is much of a diff. But yeah those are the ones I would get. 49.99 isn't a bad buy either. I was reading some of the reviews and some of the guys on there are morons. Trying to get bass out of a 61/2 cracks me up. That looked like the only real complant about those speakers.

Pioneer is a good mid speaker for the price. Alpine is a little more expensive but also a good brand IMO. I really like MTX in the trunk for the price you cant beet it IMO.

What kind of music do you lissen too?? because that can make a diffrence in speaker prefrence.

Vanilla Sky
02-16-2005, 08:12 AM
if you don't mind ebaying, you can get infinities for about $70, and they are gonna sound better and probably last longer... infinity reference series speakers are some of the best inexpensive speakers made...

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-16-2005, 09:24 AM
hey vanilla, like these??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58025&item=5751688147&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW there was one other match for my search and they had a cut in the foam around the cone.

AD9SloAccrd
02-16-2005, 10:33 AM
go to carmedia1.com, they have amazing prices there, i have ordered from them before

88accordalltheway
02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I work at best buy and in the car audio department, and we get people that come into our department all the time looking at these speakers EVERY FREAKIN DAY. Dont let the little blue lights that are mounted under the tweeter fool you, those speakers are complete and total crap. Check out the alpines, infinities(even though best buy dosent carry them), and pioneer. By far these are the top performing products right now.

leia
02-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Aren't the front speakers 5 1/4"? Or are you modifying the mounting?

The first thing I did when I bought my Accord is throw in a Pioneer head unit & some Pioneer speakers. I have 5 1/4" (I'm almost 95% positive....but it was a year and a half ago) 2 ways in front, and 6 1/2" 3-ways in the back. I think I got my 6.5s at Walmart or something for under $70.

How many of you actually have 6x9s in the back? Cuz the best buy & all other things to pook up size always say 6x9, but mine are definetly 6.5" round

88accordalltheway
02-16-2005, 11:03 AM
the 6x9's came in the se-i, i added 6x9's in the rear deck in the two inner holes because i wanted more bass and saw the opurtunity.

HondaBoy
02-16-2005, 11:28 AM
front and rear speakers were 6.5's on cars that had 6.5's in the back. i dont know where people get 5.25 in speakers from, thats not what the car came with. the bose systems did have 4 in speakers in the front doors though. and cars with 6x9s had 6.5s in the front unless it was a bose stereo. anyway, i'd say stay away from dual. i looked at those a while back also, they sounded pretty crappy for the price.

i looked, the front speakers were 160mm. 6.3 inches or what is usually said 6.5 maybe that was for cars from japan? my front and rear original speakers were the same diameter when put face to face.

leia
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I am sooo sure I have 5.25s in my doors.......they are definetly smaller than the 6.5s.
I'll have to check later, but I am almost positive.

Vanilla Sky
02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
my accords all came with 6.5s

danronian
02-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Mine stock ones were less than 6" (it was around 5 3/4"). The 6.5s I have are bigger than the stock mounts for sure, they had to be cut twice now (once for the cheap ass Jensens, and second for the awesome Kenwoods, which fit alot better b/c they have a lightweight small basket and a tiny spider shaped Neodyium magnet).

Mine came stock with 6X9s in the rear and 2-ways up front (which still sounded good only two years ago).

88accordalltheway
02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
jk, there 5.25

danronian
02-16-2005, 08:50 PM
No way would a 6.5" fit in the stock speaker mount w/o a lot of cutting. There must be two different types of baffles because mine are for sure less than 6.5" stock.

smufguy
02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Lanzar speakers are pretty good with the usage. I have them in my 4g and its good. Deep base and clear sound. its a two-way just like anything else. Also, u need to match up the speakers with your headunit, headunit will have to be equal or higher wattage than the speakers.

dx and lx had 6.5s front and rear: lxi had 6.5s up front and 6X9 rears: Se-i had smaller 4" or 5" up front and 6X9 in the rear.

snow_man_20
02-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Ummmm. my bad. :uh:

61/2 is the most comon size but i remember i had to go with 6" for proper fit. Sorry for the confusion i might have caused.

LXI 4door = 6" in front / 6X9 in back 100% correct info

To get aftermarket 6" in the front you have to do a little cutting like a said before.

To get aftermarket 6X9 3-way in the back you have to do some grinding to get the speakers to fit in the stock housing. I had to grind a little off 2 of the three mounting posts with a drenal and use a bench grinder on the speaker edges.

If you look at the stock speakers the mounting lip is a thin peace a metal with no plastic, most, almost all aftermarket 3-way speakers are not designed that way so it takes some costom work to make it look stock and fit properly.

leia
02-17-2005, 05:01 AM
I knew I wasn't totally crazy......because I didn't do any modification at all to install mine.
Simply removed the old ones, laughed at how pathetic they looked, then installed the new ones. It was definetly the 5.25 in the front and 6.5 in the back.

I do think its kind of strange how you guys aren't really coming to a consensus on this issue......but I know thats what my '86 LXi 4 door has.

snow_man_20
02-17-2005, 06:05 AM
I knew I wasn't totally crazy......because I didn't do any modification at all to install mine.
Simply removed the old ones, laughed at how pathetic they looked, then installed the new ones. It was definetly the 5.25 in the front and 6.5 in the back.

I do think its kind of strange how you guys aren't really coming to a consensus on this issue......but I know thats what my '86 LXi 4 door has.

did you mean 6X9 in back???

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-17-2005, 09:14 AM
forget it, i'm not replacing them any time soon. i don't have the money and from what it seems, i wasn't even looking at the right size speakers. save the rest of the comments. if i can get a mod to lock this or get rid of it i would appreciate it. as the starter of this thread i'm requesting it be closed.

HondaBoy
02-17-2005, 11:02 AM
is that possible that some cars did have the different "basket" thing behind the door speaker? possibley ones made in Japan had the 6.5's in the front doors? i dunno, i replaced my fronts with some other 6.5's, it didnt have any problems clearing the backing. i should see if an American made accord at the junk yard has smaller ones in the front doors.

sofaking_bob
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
when i bought my car.. i checked the speakers and they were ALL 6.5" clarions, factory paper cones. i replaced them like.. last month cause they were busted up. i went to walmart and bought some sony xplods for 50 bucks a box and they sound pretty damned good. granted they aren't like.. the very best that even sony has to offer, but they were an inexpensive fix. if you're not looking for like competition quality and you just want some decent sound.. that's a good way to go.. but if you were looking for competition quality... you'd probably not be talking about this in the first place. anyway, that's been my experience.

smufguy
02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
the audio options would and might have changed depending on the model in different countries. I had a factory style 6.5 and my car was made in japan. either way, since the basket is plastic and all of the aftermarket speakers of the stock size have deeper baskets and larger magnets (good quality ones) so we have to hack up the rear of the stock plastic basket anyway and they will just slide it and with a new hole drilled in for the speaker mounts, it should be a breeze.

ps: dremel owns in projects. ;)

Sabz5150
02-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I work at best buy and in the car audio department, and we get people that come into our department all the time looking at these speakers EVERY FREAKIN DAY. Dont let the little blue lights that are mounted under the tweeter fool you, those speakers are complete and total crap. Check out the alpines, infinities(even though best buy dosent carry them), and pioneer. By far these are the top performing products right now.

Alpine = name. Nothing more.

Quart... Nakamichi... there's where it's at, if you've got it where it's at money-wise.

Alpines *look* pretty, but as for quality... *shudder*. You can do better for your money.

EDIT: Best price/performance balance: Clarion components.

Sabz5150
02-17-2005, 10:33 PM

I stuffed some 6.5's in the front of mine. I've got the same car as you, too. Well, I had to hacksaw the basket for them to fit but they fit nicely.

88accordalltheway
02-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Alpine = name. Nothing more.

Quart... Nakamichi... there's where it's at, if you've got it where it's at money-wise.

Alpines *look* pretty, but as for quality... *shudder*. You can do better for your money.

i beg to differ man, i play with all the speakers every day, and at first i had the same opinion about alpine, but now that ive had time around them and all the others, they ARE really better than the competitors. We dont carry clarion or infinity, but i know most of infiniti stuff measures close to alpine, but idk about clarion because i havent spent much time around that brand.

Sabz5150
02-17-2005, 10:51 PM
i beg to differ man, i play with all the speakers every day, and at first i had the same opinion about alpine, but now that ive had time around them and all the others, they ARE really better than the competitors. We dont carry clarion or infinity, but i know most of infiniti stuff measures close to alpine, but idk about clarion because i havent spent much time around that brand.

I've never been impressed with Alpine. Like I said, they look real pretty, but I have heard better sound quality. Clarions are my choice for your standard 2/4 channel headunits/amps. The sound quality is damn good, no wonder their name comes from 'clarity'.