PDA

View Full Version : car hessitates to start after sitting for sum hours..also engine light

4dr88accord
02-15-2005, 09:06 AM
I have a 88 accord lx. fuel injected, this car has been sitting in my back garage for about 3 years.. and every now and then i would pull it out just to have some fun with it, needed to jump it becuse battry was GONE...now i'm gonin to get it insure it and use it as a daily driver... PROBLEM... when this car sits for about 6 hours untouched.. and i go to start it.. IT DOESNT START it take me about 2-3 trys to get it started... and i got new sark plugs, new wires, fueal filter/fuesl system is cleaned out, put fuesl injecter clear in tha tank.(still need to burn that off)...and oil is changed,,... problem #2 after about 5 mins of driveing tha ENGINE light comes on .. I HAVE NO IDEA....(i did do tha oil change ma self, i mite od added to much oil) would that make a diffrence... AND remmebr its been sittin for 3 years... 5-speed problem.... wen i try to put tha car in reverse it grinds... BUT if i hold in tha cluch for 2 sec. then shift it doesnt. if i jus hit tha cluch and put in reverse that happenbs.. and it happens in almost all gears.. but i noticed it in reverse...... cluch needs to be tightend??.. I NEED SUM MAJOR FEED BACK.. i need to get this car to pass tha emissions test.

shepherd79
02-16-2005, 04:17 AM
1. your starting problem can be ralted to EFI light.
2. to find out what problem you have with EFi system, start the car and drive it untill the light comes on. Look under the driver seat from behind. you should see a box, flat box. it will have a small window that you can pop out. you should see the light blinking. count how many times it blinks. it will blink in the loop with about 1 sec pause between.
when you get the number comeback here and look at EFI codes sticky thread.
3. there is nothing wrong with your 5 speed. our trannies don't have rev. sync. so don't worry about that, but i would change the oil in the tranny if i was you.

snow_man_20
02-16-2005, 04:37 AM
wow you got your work cut out for ya, like shepherd said check the codes. (ecu box) I would also change the oil in tranny and mabie adjust the cable, 6 hours is a long time, but check this thread and see if it sounds the same http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41358 good luck and :welcome:

danronian
02-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Don't drive that car much until your sure it has enough fluid in the tranny b/c you don't want to run it low. THe light will probably flash all the time (when the key is turned to run), I have had many flashing codes on my ECU LED and never has the PGM-FI light come one.

4dr88accord
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
ANOTHER THING....... after tha eninge lite comes on and i let the car sit for about 5 mins... tha lite goes away..??......AND i put 4LITERS OF OIL IN IT.. and i only need 3.5.. I THINk thats ma problem :dunno:

danronian
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
ANOTHER THING....... after tha eninge lite comes on and i let the car sit for about 5 mins... tha lite goes away..??......AND i put 4LITERS OF OIL IN IT.. and i only need 3.5.. I THINk thats ma problem :dunno:
No that's not it for sure, I always do that since mine leaks so much and it doesn't ever mess up the car in any strange way. The engine lights ususually do go on and off, but until you reset your ECU it should hold that code while the ignition is turned to run. Just check for how many times the LED under the back of the driver's seat flashes and you should be on your way to fixing your problems.

smufguy
02-16-2005, 08:21 PM
starting problem could be a worn out corrded rotor also. Check ur distributor by pulling off the cap (use a 8mm socket) and check the rotor for its wear and also change the gasket if u want while at it. Look inside to see if u see red powery stuff in the distributor housing.

Drain the fuel from the gas tank. Completely and fill it with atleast three gallons of clear fuel and add in a bottle of gas treatment and fill it up at a local gas station (try mobil, exxon, bp or sunoco).

4dr88accord
02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
.........AND... my front head lights dont work until i put em on high beam,,,, all tha other lights work But not tha front 2 UNtil on high beam... FUSE??

smufguy
02-17-2005, 08:15 AM
.........AND... my front head lights dont work until i put em on high beam,,,, all tha other lights work But not tha front 2 UNtil on high beam... FUSE??

no relay. check them; they are near the radiator

4dr88accord
02-17-2005, 08:22 PM
KK CAR STARTS NOW..... THAST GOOD.... head lights work 2... Engine lite hasent showeed up yet but i am gett 12 blinks on tha light under ma seat,....AND thats the exuhast restricter... AND ma exuhast pipe got holes in it ALOT.... so i'm guesin thats tha problem... BUt NO ma TURN SIGNALS WONT WORK... AND HAZERDS<>... WUTS GOIN ON