PDA

View Full Version : where to put the amp???

sofaking_bob
02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
so i'm putting a system in my car. I've replaced all of the factory speakers with sony xplods and bought the cd player which is also xplod... i've got the subs and a hatch box ordered from crutchfield.com. and i bought a virtually brand new 1600 watt class d sony xplod amp from a friend of mine with whom i work. my question is.. where should i put the amp? i know that the standard is to just attatch it to the box or to like screw it down to the floor below the box or to the rear seats, but i want to put it underneath the passenger seat. i don't plan on leaving the box that i'm buying in the car, when the money allows i'm having a custom box put it so that i can also have some trunk space and won't want my amp and satellite radio little.. boxy thing sitting in the way to just be harmed. does anyone have any experience with having put the amp underneath the seats? i'd sure appreciate some feedback.

RobT5580
02-15-2005, 01:23 PM
The back of the rear seat is typically a good place on the accord from my experience unless you have a customized trunk. My amps are mounted to a custom wall i made on the left side of my trunk. If you could fit it which i doubt under the front seat that would be an alright place but i think the structural support sticks up to much. Being a hatch though security and making it not visible would be key and bolt it down good in the event someone does try to steal it.

NXRacer
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
you're gonna be hard pressed to stick a 1600w amp under your seat. there's not enough room, not to mention the lack of airflow you need to cool off an amp that big.

sofaking_bob
02-15-2005, 06:54 PM
it's really not all that big. it's octagonal, not rectangular, but i was worried about the airflow. however, the other day i had the heat while looking behind my seats for some change and noticed that the air flows underneath my drivers side seat... somehow... but i don't know about the passenger seat. i do know that it WILL fit though. i am concearned about airflow though.. so.. back to the trunk?

Neuspeed87lx
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
its one of those sony mono amps they arent big.... i have the same one ... if i were you i would just screw it to the back seat... i wouldnt want my amp under my seats.... they could get wet .... or if you have stupid friends they could spill something .... plus you would have to run wires to your trunk for the subs.... from under the seat

sofaking_bob
02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
i don't really have friends and liquids in the car at the same time.. but i get what you're saying.. i think? the wire thing doesn't matter though, i'll have to run wires from a-b anyway.maybe not underneath the seat... i just don't want it in the trunk.. i have no idea why though.

snow_man_20
02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I would bolt it down under the carpet and board in the trunk. Kinda were the spare is. Then cut a small hole in the carpet, should be a stock hole in the board and run the wires for the subs. that way all wires exept the ones for the subs are all hidden and the amp is also hidden. It gives it a good clean look to the trunk IMO. If you amp is bolted down it's less likely to get stolen too.

sofaking_bob
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
the whole.. theft of property thing is pretty much why i want it underneath the seat. i like the idea of not being able to see it also.. i talked to my friend today.. he does some installation as a side job.. he said that as long as i didn't have a hump underneath the seat that it would be an awesome place to put an amp and that airflow wouldn't be a problem... i might have him take a look at it. who knows?

kaymo
02-17-2005, 01:04 PM
im sorry to hear about your loss (xploders all around? ouch) underneath your seats on both sides are air ducts for not just cold air, but heat aswell, so thats not too good of an idea. yes there is a hump under there towards the front, and there is a computer in the way on the drivers side.
why don't you want to mount it in the trunk? considering its the coolest (temperature wise) place in your car. if you have the octagonal xplod amp, i would say buy some 2x2's and raise your trunk floor two inches and mount the amp upside down under the cardboard foward of your spare. there is a good space under there and its fairly hidden. also if you have a big box in your trunk its gona be a bitch to get it out and then get the trunk floor out to unmount the amp. just my two cents. if your confused about what im saying just look at my post "super stock stereo install"

POS carb
03-02-2005, 06:22 PM
i'd make a mounting bracket and put it on the left side of the trunk because there is a vent there. if you are not worried about your spare put it down there. class D doesn't get too hot anyways. that amp may also fit on the trunklid, think about it