PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Light

Emuleiji
02-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Uhh well, I wanna know if my fuel light signal works properly. I rided my 3gz for about 30 to 40 km and under the red line on the fuel gauge... and this without the fuel warning light to flash on. I wonder if the light work properly... every other works fine and the 3gz is a 50 000 km, got it on 38 000 last summer, just u understand it's pretty much like new... so Ive never been able to see the light flash ever.
Anyway, is it because it takes a long time before it flashes or what.... and if so, when it will flash how much km can I do before I run out of fuel ?

by the way what is tha limit of liter that fits in an 3gz... Ive been able to fuel it up to 52... ?

thank u

frankie89
02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
hey welcome to the board!! about the fuel light i really cant answer your question becuz i haven't seen my light turn on either since i have had my 3g. i know you will find your answer here. Did you say that you have 50,000 km on the engine!! wow thats rare!!

Mac
02-15-2005, 07:26 PM
The fuel gauge isn't real accurate. The light should come on with about 11 liters left in the tank. The tank holds about 60 liters. So if you put 52 liters in the light should of come on. There is a thermister mounted on the fuel gauge sender. Once the fuel is low it's resistance drops and turns on the light.

If you open the right access panel in the trunk, you can disconnect the plug. Then short out the green/red wire to the black, with the key on the light should come on. If it does more likely the thermister is bad. If it doesn't you will need to check wiring and the bulb.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-15-2005, 07:32 PM
The fuel tank capacity is 60 liters. I'm not sure how much further you can go when the warning light starts flashing, but you could estimate it by determining how much fuel (in liters) is left in your tank when it comes on. Then calculate your gas mileage and multiply by the number of liters that remains in your tank when the light starts flashing. That should give you the approximate distance you can drive. Hope this helps.

Strugglebucket
02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
when my light comes on i can usually go about a mile, maybe two, before i am completly out of gas and stranded on the highway with a 300 pound caltrans guy yelling at me that it's a felony to park in a construction zone.

mag_pbg
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
From what I have heard gas guages are not accurate due to how they are set up in gas tanks, but I can usually drive around around 30 or so miles with the gas light on, I htink the longest I have gone was about 2 days at 15 miles both ways.

accordlxi2.0
02-16-2005, 08:43 AM
mines has'nt worked either, but once the gauge goes UNDER the red line, it lasted for 2 days 32 miles a day......
then the 3rd day at home went to start her up...no go.

Nice Guy Neil
02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I've seen mine a total of twice, both times after I had been driving it under the red line for at least a few days. Next tank you could drive it till it's a good bit into the red, and see how much it takes. The tank is 15.9 gallons, so if you put in 12-13 and it didn't come on I'd suspect the light could be bad.

danronian
02-16-2005, 03:05 PM
I've had my car for over 2 years and have run it down to about .2 gal and the light never came on, so I'm sure mine doesnt work.

Emuleiji
02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, thx to all, I guess Ill check the wires and bulb ,

n yea frankie it has 50 000k for shizzle

DBMaster
02-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I have owned mine since new and I can say that it worked when the car was about five years old. I used to take a 450 mile road trip and it would make it on one tank with the light on for the last 20 miles or so. I usually fill it up once a week which is when I am at about 1/4 of a tank or so. I have checked a couple of times running the tank really low and the light does not come on. I know the bulb is good because I replaced ALL of the cluster bulbs a while back.

It's no biggie, but it does bug me a little that something might not be working.

POS carb
02-20-2005, 08:24 AM
either the bulb, wires (unlikely), or the sender is the problem. On my car the sender has been the problem beacuse I have switched the bulb and the gauges and it still doesn't work

DBMaster
02-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I have long suspected the sending unit. I mean, unless you perpetually drive with three gallons of gas in the tank the stupid light is not on enough to burn out the bulb!

:)

AD9SloAccrd
02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
I found out the hard way if my feul light worked or not... I was going to be late for school if I stopped for gas (school was very close anyway) well it turns out the light doesn't work and it just stopped and i had to push it to a gas station.

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2005, 09:28 AM
haha when my gas light went on in my 95, i went and got gas... its a 15.9 gal tank, it took 15.7... dont trust the gas light