PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump or front crank seal

AZmike
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Within a few days of my last oil change I noticed a pretty bad oil leak had developed somewhere behind the timing belt cover.

Does this look like a bad front crank seal (still original) or bad oil pump seals? The timing belt itself was nearly oil free if that helps. I'd like to replace both seals, but I'm having trouble finding the oil pump seals locally. I'd rather not do the job twice (put everything back together to drive until my special ordered parts arrive) unless it seems necessary.

It looks like this:

Oldblueaccord
02-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Within a few days of my last oil change I noticed a pretty bad oil leak had developed somewhere behind the timing belt cover.

Does this look like a bad front crank seal (still original) or bad oil pump seals? The timing belt itself was nearly oil free if that helps. I'd like to replace both seals, but I'm having trouble finding the oil pump seals locally. I'd rather not do the job twice (put everything back together to drive until my special ordered parts arrive) unless it seems necessary.

It looks like this:

This is what I thought. Front seal. 3 seals later and a fourth with a speedi-sleeve I changed the oil pump. FIXED. I almost junked my car last year over it.

Dealership parts guy told me he sells lots of pumps like one seal a year maybe at most. I think it leaked outta the shaft I had changed that gasket too.

wp

SteveDX89
02-18-2005, 03:40 AM
The front main seal is pretty easy to change and it's fairly cheap so if you're not sure, I would change that first. To narrow it down, start the car and look to see where the oil is dripping from. If it's directly behind the crank pulley, it's most likely the front main seal.

AZmike
02-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Dealership parts guy told me he sells lots of pumps like one seal a year maybe at most. I think it leaked outta the shaft I had changed that gasket too.

wp

Did you replace the pump or just replace the seals?

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2005, 08:28 AM
it looks to me like you have a leaking cam seal, the front main seal looks good

AZmike
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
it looks to me like you have a leaking cam seal, the front main seal looks good

It's dry all around the cylinder head. I'm thinking the pump is the culprit since I've found a few drops of clean oil above the pump where the crank couldn't have flung it. I was able to find the pump gaskets so I'll be putting them in along with the crank seal and see how it goes. I'm hoping the pump itself isn't the problem since they're quite pricey.

Oldblueaccord
02-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I had changed the seal/gasket before too. I had run it with out the accesories/covers on and it looked like a fine spray of oil like mist. I thought for sure it was the crank seal and it wasn't . It was an aftermarket pump I had changed it at about himm maybe 230k on a whim with my timing belt. It helped a little rattle I had at start up I had been having with the motor cold. Wish I had done that when it started at about 150k. I think oil was leaking around the shaft of the pump.

I 'd say its a 50/50 chance. I think the oil pump is easier to change my self.

wp

AZmike
02-20-2005, 07:46 AM
The o-ring between the two sides of the oil pump had split and had a 1/8" gap. With new pump seals and a crank seal that are no leaks yet, but I haven't been more than 10 miles since the repair. It definitely would have been easier to just swap out the oil pump instead of disassembling it to get to the third seal, but I figured it was worth a try to fix it for $9 instead of the $150 for a new Honda pump.

Oldblueaccord
02-20-2005, 09:07 AM
The o-ring between the two sides of the oil pump had split and had a 1/8" gap. With new pump seals and a crank seal that are no leaks yet, but I haven't been more than 10 miles since the repair. It definitely would have been easier to just swap out the oil pump instead of disassembling it to get to the third seal, but I figured it was worth a try to fix it for $9 instead of the $150 for a new Honda pump.

I think it was $70 here?

Good glad it was easy there the best fixes.

wp

Sabz5150
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Soooooooo... you've got that problem too?

I have changed the front seal 3 times, and replaced all the oil pump gaskets. Still leaks. I'll see if a new oil pump will fix the problem.

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2005, 03:11 PM
guys honda front mains rarely leak... I think the oil pump gasket is a much better guess. Using non-honda seals (even if theyre new) somtimes they leak

nswst8
02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
guys honda front mains rarely leak... I think the oil pump gasket is a much better guess. Using non-honda seals (even if theyre new) somtimes they leak

I concur :uh: Ah okay, agree. using non honda aftermarket seals are at best an absolute last choice. The best thing that I've noticed about honda is their seals.

I used an aftermarket rear main and I am seriously pissed for not taking the time to order an original honda rear main. :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: