PDA

View Full Version : Where Are My 2 Oxegen Sensors??? Need New Ones

4dr88accord
02-19-2005, 08:26 PM
i got my car inspected and ma Catalytic COnverter is SHOT need to get new 1 i'll get 1 and i wanna put it in my self ... (tips on someone that already done that)... and i need to locate ma 2 O2 sensors... because there both shot as well... and they need to be replaced.... I hearddd that its a pain to get to them,,,, but i dont know where they r.. please help me on locting them and best/ quickest way to replace them :sadwave:

danronian
02-19-2005, 08:58 PM
They are on the exhaust manifold a few inches down from the head. You need an o2 sensor socket that has a cut out on it for the wire for each to go through. Spray them with some wd-40 type spray to help loosen them and if that and a big 1/2" ratchet doesn't work you'll have to get the butane torch out to heat them to maybe help them get free. If that doesn't work, which sometimes is the case, you need to take the manifold off and drill them out, but this shouldn't happen unless they are super rusty and the car has tons of miles.

4dr88accord
02-19-2005, 10:59 PM
it says i need 2!! sensors.. and there only 1 on tha exhuast manfold.. OR r they both on there??... i only see 1....wheres the other 1?

SteveDX89
02-20-2005, 05:28 AM
If you have a DX or LX, there is only 1 O2 sensor.

The cat is easy, kinda. If it's still the original one, it just bolts on. There are 3 in the front and 3 in the back. They are most likely rusted all to hell and won't come off. You probably will have to have them torched off, in which case, you can't drive the car afterward unless you plan on skirting with the law.

danronian
02-20-2005, 02:10 PM
You could just cut off the pipe before and after the cat and just get a clamp on type and clamp it on until you pass inspection and then get it welded afterwards.
Your lucky, one o2 sensor is twice as easy and twice as cheap as replacing them in an injected accord.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-20-2005, 03:46 PM
86-87 have one and 88-89 have two. they are right next to each other.

SteveDX89
02-20-2005, 06:44 PM
86-87 have one and 88-89 have two. they are right next to each other.

Except for the DX and LX. They all have 1.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
ooohh, damn carbs, lol. my bad.

shepherd79
02-21-2005, 04:23 AM
86-87 EFI models had 1 O2 sensors.

4dr88accord
02-23-2005, 07:47 AM
its wed. todai .. i'm goin for Air Care on friday ... I NEED TO PASS..

lostforawhile
10-03-2005, 05:06 PM
if you had more time summit can get the high flow converters that bolt in like factory,i think it's catco they are legal too,

lostforawhile
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
if you had more time summit can get the high flow converters that bolt in like factory,i think it's catco they are legal too,ok i didn't see the date been sick all weekend still am,

kaltenacht
10-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I just finished some exhaust work on my 86 LXI. It was a MAJOR pain the in ass, if i might add. Before you do ANYTHING, crawl underneath your car and take a look at how rusted and nuts are on the studs for the cat. If they are rusted, take some penetrated lub like PB Catalyst and soak the hell out of em a couple days in advance. I would first try to break them loose. If not then your in my situation. I had to cut the nuts off, then punch the studs out of the cat flanges after I got it off the car... But if your replacing it then it would probably be best just to cut the nuts off the studs, then get new nuts with lock washers from Autozone... Also dont forget to purchase the two gaskets that go on each end of the cat where the flanges meet. There like two bucks from Autozone and will keep the flanges from leaking later on down the road.

lackej1971
12-10-2005, 09:20 PM
About the rusted on nuts: I read in Popular mechanics that one of the best ways to loosen these is to heat them with a torch and then touch some wax to them. The melted wax penetrates the rusted areas and helps you loosen them. Just an idea that may help somebody else. It would probably be easier to just start the car and do this when the CC heats up.

James:idea:

golden
12-13-2005, 01:01 AM
they're right in the front on the big rusty looking exaust pipes coming out of the engine. below the tin-roof looking heat shield down low close to the bottom of the radiator. They will have large hex-nuts (30mm or 32mm?)You can get to them from under the hood but don't damage your radiator. Bosch O2 sensors are like $20 each for your car and you'll have to splice a wire for each of them, the parts come with the o2 sensors. To get the old ones off, just spray some penetrating lubricant around the big nuts and let it soak in for several minutes. Then tap the nuts with a hammer. Now they'll come off without breaking. It will be tough, DON'T touch the radiator!