PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Door problem...

slow87LX
02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok so my car was broken into a few days ago and they broke the window. After they broke in I noticed the inside door handle didn't work but the outside one did. I bought a new window from the junkyard to replace the one they broke and I put it in.. I closed the door and since then I can't get it open with either the outside or inside handle. I have the interior door panel off and I can't figure out why it won't open. I noticed when I pull on either of the handles (interior or exterior) the lock rods move down a little. I've tried everything I can think of to get it open, hold the handle open and smack the door, pull up on the lock rod as hard as I can and try to open it, etc. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before?? I don't want to have to take it to the dealer or somewhere and pay some ungodly amount of money to get it open after I just lost $1000+ in stereo equipment and stuff that I just put in a week ago.. Someone please help me!

EricW
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Did you check to see if there was any glass in the latch assembly when you took the door panel off. If you need to remove the latch to inspect it, it is real easy to remove I have taken mine out about five times since i was having trouble with the lock motor worm gear slipping out of place till it just split in half and i had to buy a new motor.

slow87LX
02-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Yea i was wondering about that, but I can't get the door open to remove the latch! unless there is some way to remove it with the door shut from the inside of the door...

EricW
02-20-2005, 06:53 PM
You can not remove the latch without opening the door unfortunatly. Since there are three screws holding it on next to where the door latches. I was going to tell you to try and remove the door panel but the dash will be in the way. You may have to try and pull the door panel back and reach in and pull on the latch release or get a coat hanger straighten it out with a small hook on the end and fish it around down by the assembly and see if you can pull on any thing to try and open the door.

slow87LX
02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
well i managed to remove the inner door panel with the door shut, i just cant figure out what to push or pull or whatever on the latch to get the door to open, its like the latch is stuck or something...any ideas?

EricW
02-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I would pull up on the lock first to make sure it is unlocked and then pull up on the large rod that is conected to the door handle out side and just try and look at it to make sure there is nothing in the way of the mechanism. Oh yeah check to see if every thing is conected and There is no rods hanging that should be conected some where that might be keeping something from moving.

slow87LX
02-21-2005, 11:30 PM
well i still cant get it off... my friend suggested removing the fender to try to remove the door somehow but that would be tough since my front bumper is molded to the fender! i dont know what to do someone must have an idea!

snow_man_20
02-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah i'm with eric, Give everything a good lookover. It sounds like its locked and just not unlocking for some reason. Did thay F-up your lock trying to get in first and when that didn't work thay just broke the window?? i would look every thing over again.

slow87LX
02-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Well the door definately isn't locked, I dicked around with it for 2 1/2 hours today and couldn't get anywhere with it. It's starting to look like I'm goin to have to take some kind of cutting tool and cut the door open to get to the latch and then cut the the latch or the loop thing that the door latches to and replacing it all :mad: I can get a door and latch and everything at the junkyard for under $35 but what kind of tool would work to cut through the door skin, etc, and then cut through the latch loop thing? My friend suggested a plasma cutter but I don't know where I can borrow one of those...maybe a sawzall or whatever? any suggestions?