PDA

View Full Version : Maximum power engine can support ?

Chadroper
02-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Some people on here say the A20A block and crankshaft can support 400 hp and some others say it can support only about 150 hp. It can't be both. I thought the reason they built an F22 was because it was more rigid and could support more power. I thought if you tried to make more than about 130 hp with an A20A the block starts to flex because even though its cast iron its very thin cast iron, it does't have forged rods or pistons, it has a heavy cast crankshaft, and there is no bearing cap girdle thing...
...a B series with a block gaurd will be sturdier.

I looked it up last night, cast iron has a slightly lower yield strength than aluminum.

Turbocharged or N/A ?

What speed is a 200hp A20A, Can the block go to 8500?

rjudgey
02-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I've built about nearly ten A and ET series engines and not had a problem with any of them warping/flexing etc. Very rock solid and easliy able to get 200Bhp from without toomany problems, only weak link are pistons need changing to forged and thats about it!!

N/A baby Blew a Turbocharge Vauxhall Astra 2.0litre DOHC straight of the track never new what hit him!!! Should have seen the look on his face!!!

top speed? or 1/4 mile speed?
Never had it go to 8500rpm but soon will!! Max revs i've pulled on a regular basis is 8K and that was with stock bolts, and polished rods with sealed power cast pistons. 285 degree camshaft and stock size valves. that one put out about 180bhp the current engine has 272 degree cam, with heavily modified head with 33mm inlet valve conversion and that puts down 200bhp and around 160-170lbft torque it's enough to chew up gearboxes in about 15-20K and will break most stock clutches very quickly.
I've had the speedo off the clock at over 140mph so don't know how fast we was going but i've been past a BMW M3 going down hill which are speed limited to 155mph. The terminal speed on 1/4 mile i've had 97mph as the best speed and 14.6 time but need to get more grip on take off still lots of traction problems with tyres.

AccordEpicenter
02-21-2005, 09:42 AM
only weak link are pistons need changing to forged and thats about it!!
Well the cast iron block is stiffer and more rigid than any other stock honda block i can think of, same with the cylinders. Honda cranks are forged from the factory (nitrided i think too) there are a few guys that have taken these engines to 20+ psi boost on only forged pistons in the bottom end in here

solid cast iron cylinders>aluminum with thin steel sleeves

NXRacer
02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
that may be true, but the closed deck design of the a20 makes it much stronger then the open deck aluminum blocks that honda used after the 3rd gen accords. Some of the F22's came with sleeves but they're not good enough to handle much boost.

A20A1
07-29-2005, 12:20 AM
I believe Justin made 350 HP FI

As for the introduction of the F22, it probably cost less to produce, thats why they switched. As for the increased power output... 2.2 VS 2.0 plus the F22 has a different valve train.

I doubt it was because the A20 couldn't handle more power that they made the F22, it's just that technology / production changed.

As for people choosing a B or F or H series to build over an A series. Look at the aftermaret support, look at the number of cars the A20 can swap in and look at the number of cars the B F or H can swap in. If the A20 had more aftermarket and could fit in different models I'm sure it would be used more.

Accordtheory
07-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I say ask johnny with the 10 second hatch how much power the block can take. If I had to take a guess, I would say over 500hp. The B18a/b/c block does Not look stronger to me, and there are many people on honda-tech.com that have put down well over 500whp with that.

w00tw00t111
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree w/ accordtheory. How can you possibly say that a block that has cylinder float stock is stronger then a cast iron solid block? A20's assesment is probably the most accurate. Why would you swap in a n engine that is hard to modify as it is in the stock car much less a frankenstein plant?

FyreDaug
07-31-2005, 06:55 PM
rods are weak. Engine good for about 250-300hp?

lostforawhile
08-02-2005, 09:04 PM
all honda cranks are forged, that's a factory standard. same with nissan. i've heard to drill and tap the galley plugs in the crank and that's it. that's what i like about these old cars many of them were built with parts that american cars of the same era would have to get from the performance counter.

FyreDaug
08-03-2005, 09:29 PM
that's what i like about these old cars many of them were built with parts that american cars of the same era would have to get from the performance counter.

Good way of saying it, though there are still better things that could be made for our engines, lighter stronger parts, but in the long run these engines are bulletproof

w00tw00t111
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
minus pistons that is :)

lostforawhile
08-04-2005, 03:11 AM
i just saw a thread on here about a company making forged pistons for our cars,they are designed to use eage rods i believe.

FyreDaug
08-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I thought we didnt even have an option to use eagle rods? They had to be shot peened?

smufguy
08-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Stock rods and crankshaft are forged from the factory.

The stock crankshaft, without any modification done to it holds upto 400hp no problem. With a bigger chamfer radius, full balancing and knife edging, you should be able to withstand about 500. and if you can nitrate it or cryofreeze it, i know it can go past 600hp or even 700hp.

Anywho, the block can hold up to 600hp easy, cause the bottom end has enough support ridges like the 4G63 (dsm/evo) blocks and do not flex at all. the problem is, can u make the head breathe enough to make that much power?

and yes aluminum has greater yield strength, cause yield is how much it can actually support the elongation under force. But the cast iron has a greater rigidity and a higher density compared to aluminum. so yes, you can handle more power on a cast iron block than a aluminum. unless you got steel blocks like the last gen supras and the IS300s, well you can make mindboggling numbers outta those and the infinity titanium blocks need some investigation too.

To make the full use of the beautiful cast iron block you have, boost that bitch!!!! :)

lostforawhile
08-06-2005, 04:25 AM
you should be able to make it breathe pretty good, it is a two litre after all.it's got three valves per cyl. the stock intake manifold really doesn't look that bad. it's not like a civic with a whiny 1.5. it could be like that 1.5 cvcc civic where i had to go to canada to get a stock crossflow head instead of the siamesed head it came with. if you look at these engines on paper they aren't that bad.

lostforawhile
08-06-2005, 04:35 AM
while we are on the subject does anyone remember the 1.3 litre civic engine? the entire bottom of the engine was a giant stud girdle. that thing could handle anything you could throw at it. the 1.5 was not as good at all. I reme mber seeing a blown version of that motor someone had built with the crossflow canadian head like i did on the civic 1.5. the car was so light a couple of people could pick up the front but it was a monster. anyway all of that engineering went into the accords and preludes first, these were honda's flagship cars.back then the civic was just an econobox.

lostforawhile
08-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I thought we didnt even have an option to use eagle rods? They had to be shot peened?
it said they had to be machined at one end,they work because these are different pistons. shot peening relieves stress on the rods. for what eagle rods cost i'm certain they are already stress relieved and shot peened

FyreDaug
08-06-2005, 10:53 AM
I was referring to the stock rods, sorry. I meant I thought we couldnt use eagles at all in our cars and our only option was shot peening stock.