PDA

View Full Version : so my brakes take a dump

2drSE-i
02-21-2005, 04:10 PM
so im driving to my sister to some stupid thing she had to go to, and i apply the brakes, and i found out my pads are finally shot........great news....im broke, its my dads car and he wont let me touch it, except to drive it, and hes moving in a couple of days.....im out a car for a week or so.......

danronian
02-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Are they grinding or no brakes at all when you applied the pedal? If the pads are shot it should have been starting to make scraping noises and even then you can keep using them until they grind, sure by that point you'll need rotors too but most people replace them when they get new pads b/c they are as cheap as getting the rotors turned. If you had no brakes when you went to stop, check your brake fluid, it's probably low, and low for a reason, that or your master cylinder which often goes in 3gs, that would actually be the cheapest to replace since labor is going to kill you the most. That master cylinder went in mine but it had symptoms of a pressure leak for a year before it actually almost totally stopped working.

2drSE-i
02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
no i just filled up the master cylinder, its grinding like crazy, and i dont drive like that. the rotors need to be replaced, but im not gonna drive like that. Ill get my dad to help with pads an rotors anyway.

HondaBoy
02-21-2005, 09:32 PM
i'd at least get some new pads for the time being. i swear, they are one of the easiest things on the car to fix. as for the rotors, those were so easy to replace. to tell you the truth, brakes seem to be something i got on the first try. i've just replaced my front brakes. i put on new lines, calipers, rotors and pads. plus new fluid throughout the system by bleeding them out. i just dont wanna do my back ones because they are drums, disk brakes are somewhat easier. good luck on the brakes, hope you get those fixed. IMO having good brakes is one of the most important things to have on a car.

Busted_Blue
02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
i'd at least get some new pads for the time being. i swear, they are one of the easiest things on the car to fix. as for the rotors, those were so easy to replace. to tell you the truth, brakes seem to be something i got on the first try. i've just replaced my front brakes. i put on new lines, calipers, rotors and pads. plus new fluid throughout the system by bleeding them out. i just dont wanna do my back ones because they are drums, disk brakes are somewhat easier. good luck on the brakes, hope you get those fixed. IMO having good brakes is one of the most important things to have on a car.

what good is good brakes without good tires. :)

2drSE-i
02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
well thats what my dad said, just slap some pads on there for now

2drSE-i
02-22-2005, 02:10 PM
problem solved! sorta
stepdad put a set of pads on there for me while i was at school
the inside front passengers pad was less than a 1/4 in thick, so i guess it wasn't quite grinding yet, but the horrible noise is gone
anyone have any ideas on rotors for the future?

danronian
02-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Wagner, Brembo, or another big name plain "blank" rotors. They should be cheap (around $40 per side), but don't get a no-name brand, they often warp fast.