PDA

View Full Version : Underside pics?

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Anyone have any good pics of the underside of our cars? Y'know, like if it were raised up on a lift? I'd like to see the underside showing the layout of an installed exhaust system.
Thanks in advance.

RobT5580
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Your in luck here is my temporary 3" exhaust setup that i did really quick before my tuner came last time. Its in the stock channel so you can get an idea of what it would look like stock.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p7d798e24e5411e95ea0383467c653047/f50c4d35.jpg

Im going to make a better one eventually and have it ceramic coated!

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to find one looking straight up if possible. That is helpful though; thanks. Any others?
BTW: Nice piping. Must be nice not having to worry about emission testing :sad2: .

RobT5580
02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to find one looking straight up if possible. That is helpful though; thanks. Any others?
BTW: Nice piping. Must be nice not having to worry about emission testing :sad2: .

Sorry i didnt get any better pictures. As for emissions I still have to go and im gonna get a 3" cat when i re-do the piping. Hopefully it passes with the turbo setup otherwise its gonna be a big headache but i got another year and then some until i have to worry about it.

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Not to change the subject, but what exactly is it about turbocharging that causes it not to pass emissions?

RobT5580
02-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Well im just worried about it since i have a completly custom setup. Iv heard of some cars passing without cats on but CT checks for a cat and its a huge fine w/o it. Either way i have a stand alone ECU so i can adjust things if i fail. CT is not bad as far as engine swaps or modifications so im ok in that aspect.

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Yeah, Houston is a real stickler for emissions. We got plants pumping out crap all around here, but they want to pick on the motorists to clean up the air. I've always heard that turboing a car would cause emissions problems, but I've never heard exactly what the problem is, or what about the turbo system causes it. I'd like to know so maybe I can do something about it as I build.

HondaBoy
02-21-2005, 09:57 PM
i know about houston and the air quality. i havent been up there in a while, but i know its can get nasty on hot hazy days. do they actually do an emissions test of the exhaust gas? down here they looked at my exhaust and i guess checked the emissions routing or something. dont know how they could tell if its right considering there's so many damn vac lines. anyway, check out the link below. i'lll probley add some more pix to that soon. i got a new jack that'll lift my car up higher. those pix were taken with the car on the ground though. i'll add some newer pix to give a better idea of the routing. its really basicly a stock route until the Y pipe.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37724&highlight=exhaust

smufguy
02-21-2005, 10:05 PM
thats a nice pic rob.

Turbocharging a car, being the reason to increase power, more fuel is burnt, but since its a turbo the natural tendensy of it is to burn rich. Since it burns rich there are a lot of HC, CO and CO2 production in the exhaust gases. U dont have to worry about NOx production much since turbos dont run lean and if they did, that would be the last time they ever will. To pass emissions, i would say get a base stock map set up on the ecm, stand alone or piggyback, and load it up when u get to the inspection station. U can also put a rev limiter on it to lets say 4K so that they have to shift before that to ensure that it does not burn rich in the higher rpm since every engine burns rich at idle, leans in the mid range and runs rich at high rpm. so turbos just run rich in all thru the power band more than stock.

So just make a base map just to pass emissions and load it up, after u leave, load another one and smoke a mustang gt ;)

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
i know about houston and the air quality. i havent been up there in a while, but i know its can get nasty on hot hazy days. do they actually do an emissions test of the exhaust gas? down here they looked at my exhaust and i guess checked the emissions routing or something. dont know how they could tell if its right considering there's so many damn vac lines. anyway, check out the link below. i'lll probley add some more pix to that soon. i got a new jack that'll lift my car up higher. those pix were taken with the car on the ground though. i'll add some newer pix to give a better idea of the routing. its really basicly a stock route until the Y pipe.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37724&highlight=exhaust

Yeah, in Houston, they stick the probe in the tailpipe and measure exhaust gasses. In just four more years, my '89 will be a classic though, so maybe I won't have to worry about it then :lol: . Thanks for the link, but I had already seen those (I'm actually one of the few who search before asking :) ). I am realy wanting to see a straight up pic of the bottom of our car, so it would basically have to be someone laying face up on the floor with a camera, while the car is on a lift. What, nobody has ever done that :kekeke: ? Just thought I'd get lucky.

Robs89LXi
02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Turbocharging a car, being the reason to increase power, more fuel is burnt, but since its a turbo the natural tendensy of it is to burn rich. Since it burns rich there are a lot of HC, CO and CO2 production in the exhaust gases. U dont have to worry about NOx production much since turbos dont run lean and if they did, that would be the last time they ever will.

Makes sense; thanks.

[QUOTE=smufguy]To pass emissions, i would say get a base stock map set up on the ecm, stand alone or piggyback, and load it up when u get to the inspection station. U can also put a rev limiter on it to lets say 4K so that they have to shift before that to ensure that it does not burn rich in the higher rpm since every engine burns rich at idle, leans in the mid range and runs rich at high rpm. so turbos just run rich in all thru the power band more than stock.

So just make a base map just to pass emissions and load it up, after u leave, load another one and smoke a mustang gt ;) /QUOTE]

Yeah, I had already planned on doing just that. Still a long way off though, but as they say, "patience is a virtue".

Busted_Blue
02-21-2005, 11:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/crazyxzer0/A%20Day%20At%20Work%2020050109/a04b2b24.jpg

here is mine. Not a custom exhaust shot but better than nothing. :D

Robs89LXi
02-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Nice shot; thanks. Between RobT's front shot, and yours from the rear, I got what I needed. This is the kind of stuff that makes me appreciate this forum so much.
Thanks, guys.

Busted_Blue
02-22-2005, 12:47 AM
not a problem, another reason i love this 3geez forum too. Without it, my car wouldn't be where it is now.

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2005, 09:20 AM
to pass emissions, id remove the wastegate so the turbo couldnt boost and install the stock injectors and a cat or 2 on a stock like ecu. I doubt youd pass with bigger injectors even if you did lean it out.