PDA

View Full Version : quick question, someone answer for me plz

X-Rated
02-21-2005, 08:05 PM
i have a question....n i think i already know the answer but i wanna be sure its what i think it is...

my sis' 89 LX runs very sluggish n shit...very slow acceleration, thought it was the carb. its weird cuz it runs fucked up for a while one day, the next its fine...still a lil slow...

then 2 hours ago i go to test out the car n see if the battery is still good n its runnin sluggish n the engine sounded very weird n i noticed a glow....the damn exhaust was glowin....

i assume the catalyct is shot now but what causes it to go bad?

does a bad catalyct cause slow acceleration? or is there somethin else other thn this? Someone help me cuz my head hurts

anyhelp is appreciated...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-21-2005, 08:22 PM
You may be running very rich causing unburned fuel to enter the catalytic converter. There it burns and increases the temperature of the converter. This usually results in the melting of the internal honeycomb structure and eventual failure of the cat. I would fix the carburetor problem first and then replace the cat. Just my $.02

X-Rated
02-21-2005, 08:27 PM
ight...ok glad i see this cuz i am replacin the carbuertor either way... hopefully wit tht, tunin it so it aint rich, n replacin the catalyct, the damn LX will run well

thankz bro, good lookin out

smufguy
02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep he beat me to it. :( i had the same problem with my new cat glowing when the fucking moron at the shop did not hook up two of my spark plug wires tightly and they broke loose on the highway making my car sound like a lawnmower, parked the car and it was smoking from the bottom, looked underneath and it was a red glowing cat, my brand new $70 worth of catalytic converter. but anywho. rebuilding ur carb would be the best thing to do, and also check ur spark plug cables like i mentioned. Despite the fact we have O2 sensors, they can compensate for a lot. and also let the car warm up good before u take it out.

ps: i noticed that u been on the forum for nearly a year, and by now u should know where to post technical questions or let alone carb issues. Next time, use the technical section for tech problems bro. Thanks :)

shepherd79
02-22-2005, 04:55 AM
if you replace the catalitic converter first, i bet your car will idle and drive a lot better.
change the cat first, and if that doesn't help, go with carburator.

X-Rated
02-26-2005, 02:32 AM
well yea i signed up a year ago but i never come on, only occasionally to either fight wit the idiot GhettoAccord or to see whats new...

yea i replaced the CAT n it runs alot better, still need to tune the carb but might not need to replace it...shit i might buy this car from my sis if she dont want it no more

n yea ill check the site more closely next time, thnkz to who replied n the thread

Yep he beat me to it. :( i had the same problem with my new cat glowing when the fucking moron at the shop did not hook up two of my spark plug wires tightly and they broke loose on the highway making my car sound like a lawnmower, parked the car and it was smoking from the bottom, looked underneath and it was a red glowing cat, my brand new $70 worth of catalytic converter. but anywho. rebuilding ur carb would be the best thing to do, and also check ur spark plug cables like i mentioned. Despite the fact we have O2 sensors, they can compensate for a lot. and also let the car warm up good before u take it out.

ps: i noticed that u been on the forum for nearly a year, and by now u should know where to post technical questions or let alone carb issues. Next time, use the technical section for tech problems bro. Thanks :)