PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Question

Hack_Benjamin
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Whats up All.

Was just wondering if Anybody knew roughly how much HP you get from upgrading your ignition to all Accel's stuff W/Bosch Plat 4's , Custom (true)CAI using Civic adaptor box, and higherflow exaust. I was told you CAN gain 6-10hp.
Hmmmmmmm ?????

1988 Accord LTD. 2.0L

M

danronian
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Depending on how well your carb is tuned that would be a low guess IMO. Pre-cut and booted Accel wires are kinda hard to find for our engines, just go with the ngks since they'll be cheaper anyhow and should perform just the same. Bosch 4s are maily just hype, if you want platinum I would recommend the regular boschs or just the stock or upgraded version of NGK plugs. Every claims they work with our engines better and after "upgrading" to bosch plugs in mine I think it performs a bit worse, so I am going to switch back to stock grade NGKs once I get some extra time.

Strugglebucket
02-22-2005, 06:51 PM
platinum plugs aren't really a perfomance thing. they just last longer.

A20A1
02-22-2005, 07:00 PM
You'll get some power from opening up the intake.
You can either flip the lid or cut open the stock air box to expose the filter on all sides... or convert to a cold air.

You gain more power in the upper rpms if you open up the exaust... but don't expect a lot without upgrading the header.

The ignition gains can come from a larger gap... but you need a strong ignition system to increase the gap.

I use Accel wires and the large boxy Super coil... the platinum +4's I like just because they fired better when I run rich... I only assume its because of the extra electrodes giving more surfaces to promote sparks. (more spark promoting surfaces can be found in V-power and Split fire plugs as well)
I don't buy them because it's Platinum. Platinum is more for durability and not for performance.

bobafett
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
6-10 hp is a fairly conservative estimate IMO if you get a header it will help out a lot at this point