PDA

View Full Version : bad bad news

nappyroots827
02-23-2005, 12:28 PM
hey guys, the other day i was driving down the highway and my car started like flooding with smoke inside and i smelled oil, so i pulled over and popped the hood, didn't seem to be anything wrong so i got back on and drove to work....so i made it home finally after work, it seemed to be lacking power a little bit, and it was shooting oil out of the breather on top of the valve cover...and also, my car sat for about a whole day so it was def. cool, i started it up for like no more than 30 sec. popped off the valve cover and smoke flew out....what the hell is wrong with this piece of shining armor

NXRacer
02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
sounds like your valve seals are gone.

shepherd79
02-23-2005, 03:19 PM
check your PCV valve first.

nappyroots827
02-23-2005, 04:06 PM
will the pcv valve cause oil to shoot out the breather, lose power, and can valve seals cause you to lose power and cause oil to shoot out the breather, its almost as if the oil is backing up and building up in the valve cover but i dunno

AZmike
02-23-2005, 04:16 PM
If your PCV valve isn't working and/or you have a lot of blowby (bad piston rings) the oil may not drain out of the head properly.

nappyroots827
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
is that something that just happens tho like instantly, and the head is just rebuilt, new valve guides and seals, springs and retainers, so i doubt its the seals

danronian
02-23-2005, 09:05 PM
I don't really think a PCV could cause such a sudden problem, usually they slowly clog, not instantly. How long ago was your head rebuilt? Sounds to me like something in the valve-train just broke and exhaust fumes are pouring out into your valve cover.

nappyroots827
02-24-2005, 08:21 AM
it was rebuilt probably about a year ago, but it hadn't gone onto the car until about 2 months ago when i did my efi swap