PDA

View Full Version : Nailed a curve, Now pulling to the left - Radius rod bent?

Doward
02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Long story short, hydroplaned into a curb pretty good (right side) - I don't think the wheel is bent (nicked the lug nut really good though) as it drove smooth - but it was pulling to the left pretty bad. Once I got home, I noticed the left tire was lined up fine, but the right tire was pointed ever so slightly to the right. I pulled off the radius rod, and noticed a slight bend, right where the threads for the bushing assembly are - I rolled it along my table (with the flat end off, of course) and noticed a little wobbling as it rolled - the threaded portion is bent slightly - now my question - are the radius rods supposed to be perfectly straight, or is there a slight bend in them?

Doward
02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
pulling to the RIGHT, not the left - sorry :)

Doward
02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Also, will a decent alignment shop be able to re-align the car, with a slight bend in the rod?

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
pulling to the RIGHT, not the left - sorry :)

Im gonna vote for straight.

I'd really look stuff over for bent parts etc. Pretty easy to bend the frame on these cars. Prolly gonna need an alignment to I'd say the toe is off also.

wp

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Also, will a decent alignment shop be able to re-align the car, with a slight bend in the rod?

if they notice it NO. But your specs will be way off so they prolly will figure something is wrong.

wp

NXRacer
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
any shop that can do alignments will be able to tell you right away if it just needs an alignment or if something needs to be replaced. I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of it just needing an alignment.

Doward
02-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Ahhh... figures. It's got about 1/8th inch of 'bobble' to it when I roll it... I'll probably have to hit the boneyard and get one. :(

Doward
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok, I'm replacing both outer tie rod ends - the rubber's torn up, and I'm getting an alignment in the morning anyway, so why not?

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Ok, I'm replacing both outer tie rod ends - the rubber's torn up, and I'm getting an alignment in the morning anyway, so why not?

Not a bad idea. Keep the reciept JIC they doubt you changed them and try some shit like they gotta redo it or something.

Look for any creases in the metal that holds like the upper or lower controls arms etc. Thats where the bends will be. Also check to see if the tire rubs the back part of the body. Means the frame it tweeked back a little.

wp

AccordEpicenter
02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
dont discount the possibility of a bent knuckle or control arm too... they bend easier than the radius rod

Doward
02-24-2005, 09:16 PM
>.< Not what I want to hear... I'll find out in the morning, I suppose :(

88Accord-DX
02-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Definetly check the outer and inner tie rods. There was guy that hit a curb bout a month ago & ruined it all + rack. I messed up my outer tie rod end hitting a curb. Get alighment after you fix it.

Nice Guy Neil
02-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah, that was me. Bent inner+outer tie rod ends, messed up rack, and it still wanders so I'm going to have to jack it up and look for bent parts. Yours will likely be much cheaper, though, since your rack is fine. I hope it's something good and cheap.

Oldblueaccord
02-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that was me. Bent inner+outer tie rod ends, messed up rack, and it still wanders so I'm going to have to jack it up and look for bent parts. Yours will likely be much cheaper, though, since your rack is fine. I hope it's something good and cheap.

Yep there are inner tie-rods on our car. I just checked at the parts place. So they can get fucked up/replaced too. There $23 at PArts america.

wp

SavageG
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Yea, the frame is very weak where the tie rods connect. I hit a curb last year and it put a 1/8 crease where the right rod ties in. I got it aligned, but it took almost all of the adjustment it has.

AZmike
02-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Yea, the frame is very weak where the tie rods connect. I hit a curb last year and it put a 1/8 crease where the right rod ties in. I got it aligned, but it took almost all of the adjustment it has.

The tie rods connect to the steering rack. Are you talking about the radius rod? (it connects the lower control arm to the front cross member)