PDA

View Full Version : Car keeps turning off

DSMRacing
02-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, my Accord has been giving me nothing but troubles lately. First it started off as my sister's car, she drove the car, but then for some reason the car started dying. Once the car shut off, and wouldn't even start. So we brought it home, got a new transmission for it, and well it started...but it kept dying. Not that long ago we took it in, and this guy changed the spark plugs, and the cables. He also changed one of the belts and some pump I believe. Not sure exactly what it is/was because my dad took care of most of it. Well, I just went to the garage, tried to repark it a bit so I can try to fix up that dent that was left after the accident...and the horn that decided it could honk when it wants. So it had trouble starting...finally started. I put it in gear, it choked, then choked some more, and turned off completely. Tried turning it on and letting it run a bit, but it just did the same. I have no clue what it is, and I love the Accord to death, but it's just costing me more and more money to keep her running. Any of you know what it might be? :dunno:

SQ is the SQUAD
02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
you might want to pose this in the tech section

DSMRacing
02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks, was wondering why there were no replies. Well, it seemed to do fine today when I started her up, except when I was backing into the garage and it turned off.

DSMRacing
02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok, my Accord has been giving me nothing but troubles lately. First it started off as my sister's car, she drove the car, but then for some reason the car started dying. Once the car shut off, and wouldn't even start. So we brought it home, got a new transmission for it, and well it started...but it kept dying. Not that long ago we took it in, and this guy changed the spark plugs, and the cables. He also changed one of the belts and some pump I believe. Not sure exactly what it is/was because my dad took care of most of it. Well, I just went to the garage, tried to repark it a bit so I can try to fix up that dent that was left after the accident...and the horn that decided it could honk when it wants. So it had trouble starting...finally started. I put it in gear, it choked, then choked some more, and turned off completely. Tried turning it on and letting it run a bit, but it just did the same. I have no clue what it is, and I love the Accord to death, but it's just costing me more and more money to keep her running. Any of you know what it might be?

Well, that was yesterday. Today she started up fine each time. It did turn off one time when I was backing into the garage and then almost again. I started backing up and the car just turned off. I turned it back on and put it into reverse and the RPMs dropped from 1000 to about 500 and then it choked and it went up again. I made it into the garage, but I'm still confused why it keeps turning off.

Sorry for the long post, and hopefully someone can help.

pendejo
02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Just want to clear this up, is it only doing it when you are in reverse?

DSMRacing
02-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Well, it's been mostly doing it when I put it into reverse. Although it did do it when I put it in drive too. Before, when my sister used to have the car and you'd come to a stop sign, the car would choke and shut off. It runs good when it's in park, but as soon as you switch gears and either keep it there, or let go of the brake, the car starts to choke and turns off. Sometimes if I'll be waiting on a light, and it turns green...I let go of the brake and the car starts to go but then I give it gas and it chokes a bit up to about 3000 or 4000 RPM. I have no clue what it could be.

POS carb
02-25-2005, 04:01 PM
#1 try removing the throttle valve cable tension on the transmission (the only connection to the transmission other than the 2 hoses and starter wires)
make sure the transmission is properly filled. this should be checked off and in park

check for vacuum leaks in the intake manifold and vacuum hoses, they screw up your idle and low rpm response

make sure your ignition timing is correct (4 degrees base and 15-17 under vacuum advance @ idle)

make sure the choke is opening on the carb if applicable

DSMRacing
02-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Ok, I'm sort of confused with this.

"make sure your ignition timing is correct (4 degrees base and 15-17 under vacuum advance @ idle)

make sure the choke is opening on the carb if applicable"

I'm not all that great with cars, so would it be possible for you to get a pic, or explain where this is at and how I'd go about doing this. Tired of taking the car to mechanics and the car works for a while and then starts doing the same thing. Hopefully I can fix this, because I'd rather keep my Accord then get a different car. Thanks in advance.

A20A1
02-27-2005, 01:32 PM
You have an LX-i So don't worry about the choke.

As for the advance degrees... there are timing marks on the flywheel... I don't have a pic but the shop manual on pauls website might... anyways with a timing light you'd check the timing marks with vacuum advance and also with vacuum advance disabled.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4064

DSMRacing
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I'll try to see what I can do. If I won't get anything I'll come back for more help. Thanks so far guys.

hondamanlxi
02-27-2005, 05:00 PM
i didnt know only one vacuum line on the dist was supposed to have vacuum at idle?! When i did my efi emission and b/s removal i ran both advance line straight to the manifold. It runs fine like that so whatever;)

DSMRacing
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Alright, I'm back and haven't really looked at what might be wrong with the car because I'm busy with school. I don't get my car though. I'm not the best with cars either, so hopefully you guys don't mind answering my questions. Saturday I went to my friends house, and when I first started the car that day, I let it sit for about 5 mins to warm up. I got to my friends house, and then about half hour later we left. We got to the mall and the car ran fine all the way there. 5 mins later we get out of the mall and drive to the movies and when I go to start the car, it'll turn on but then I put it in gear and it turns off. After the movie, the car ran good though. Same with today. I turned it on in the morning, ran good. I went to school, got home from school fine. Half hour later I go to pay a bill and the car kept turning off on me in the garage. I am so confused and I don't want to take it the mechanic again, especially since I'll be busy Saturday and he wants me to leave the car on Friday. I told my dad we can look at it this weekend so I won't have to take it, so I'm still trying to go from the info that POS carb left me, and I saw this one website from one of the guys here. He had a pic of the engine of an 87 Accord EX and all the parts named. I looked at my engine though, and I couldn't make out some of the things, probably cuz it was dark too. If I took a picture and posted it do you guys think you can point me in the right direction? SORRY for the long post, but figured maybe the minor details might help. Thanks once again. :confused: