PDA

View Full Version : Stalling at stops

mag_pbg
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
After I added my header my car started actin really wierd. it doesn't do it all the time but most of the time when I pull up to a stop light it will idle fine around 1k and then it will slowly bobble down to where it dies. But then other times it will idle then bobble down to where it will almost shut off, but catch it's self and then bobble back down again. I've checked all the electrical conections and the spark plug wires are brand new. It only stalls when I stop if Im going over 5 miles per hour it runs just fine, doesn't choke or anything just when I stop, I have tried adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body but that didn't do anything, could it be the cold idle valve, or maybe my timing off, or could I just need to reset my ECU after adding the header and new exhaust.

mag_pbg
02-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Does nobody have a thought on why my car is doing this¿

phenox
02-25-2005, 05:34 AM
How high is your idle. Mine had the same problems. i took it in for a tune up changed the oil and added some b12 cleaner and it runs perfect.

mag_pbg
02-25-2005, 06:07 AM
The idle at times is 1k but other times when I stop it drops down to the last mark on the tach and then bounces there till it dies a few sec. afterwards.

Strugglebucket
02-25-2005, 06:44 AM
odd that it would start after you put the header on. you gettin any codes? a 1 or a 2 maybe?

could be a vacuum leak somewhere.

how do your plugs look?

danronian
02-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Since you just put in the header you should probably replace those o2 sensors before they rust themselves in, that might possibly help your problem. Well it sounds like it may be an intake temp sensor or a water temp sensor also, check for a code on those. Did you get a decent brand of plug wires or cheapies? Lately I have heard of alot of probs with the cheap wires, and have had it happen to me. Did you check the gap on the plugs before you installed them? Check the connections on that coil you have, sometimes the vibrations will loosen them up a bit and that could be your prob right there.

DSMRacing
02-25-2005, 07:23 AM
I seem to have the same problem at times. I didn't get anything for the car other than new spark plugs and cables and some pump. Can't get the name of it now because my dad took care of it. I don't know what it could be, but my car used to do that when I'd come to a stop sign or so. It'd choke a bit, and then the RPM would drop and the car would shut off. Now, it does it when I change gears.

mag_pbg
02-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanx for the suggestions, the 02 sensor is fairly new maybe 3 or 4 months old and the spark plug wires are brand new bosch wires. I havn't had a chance to check for codes yet, it could it be becuase I accidently ran the car with out the 02 sensor for a awhile¿ Im going to try and reset the ECu today after I get out of school and hopefully that will help, could it be with the cold idle valve¿

POS carb
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
you sound like you have an a/f mixture problem. make sure the metal is exposed (no paint) on the o2 sensor bungs. then try adjusting your a/f mixture

1987HondaAccord
02-25-2005, 04:20 PM
i'm having a similar problem, but it only happens once the car has been idling for a while (ex: sitting in traffic). I didn't notice it until I installed my cam though, so i thought it was a vacuum problem. I never thought about the paint around the O2 sensor though...

mag_pbg
02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I think I may have found the prob. I think it has to do withthe throttle body, when you manually rev the motor with the throttle body, you can push it towards the drivers side and it will then idle down and die, it looks like the stopper on the throttle body has came loose or is just worn down so tomorow im going to adjust it so the butterfly valve doesn't shut all the way.

rutterg
02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
I have the same problem. The engine also stops after having driven for about 30 minutes at high speed and then come to a stop. In a traffic jam, the idle revs to 1500 rpm and stays up, until i tap the throttle then it goes down again. I had this same thing on a peugeot 206 and then it was gone after replacing the ignition coil. Maybe this will help.

According2Me
03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
huh...I was going to start a new thread b/c I thought I be the only one with this problem. Seems like stalling is a common problem. I have a 89 LX and it stalls only after it warms up, and when I come to a stop. It tends to start revving by itself if I dont touch the throttle...it goes from 100-200 rpms. and jumps to 2500rpm's for about a minute, and then eventually stalls. any thoughts??????

POS carb
03-04-2005, 11:03 AM
according2me check for leaks in the vacuum line going to the dashpot that connects to the throttle linkage (left front of carb)

POS carb
03-04-2005, 11:07 AM
mag_pbg check your EGR, it may be leaking. Unplug the vacuum line going to the valve and plug it up, see if it goes away.