PDA

View Full Version : Tune up...prepare!

87accordlxph
08-04-2002, 04:26 AM
I was out yesturday to do a tune up on my car when the very last thing I had to do was put the distributer cap back on and I had no f#$%34in distributer cap seal that goes around and underneath the cap itself? Distributer cap seal? I have never heard of such thing and the same goes w/ a lot of automotive stores. It's a honda part for sure!

:wtf: is up w/ that if I went to the honda dealer here in town bought a genuien cap but didn't come w/ the damn seal?

Now I'm stuck w/o my ride till Wednesday. :huh:

Dumb! Just dumb!

Also make sure that you buy the genuien cap, those seals w/ the cap and a rotor cause you'll be screwed w/o a car if you don't.
Some of those aftermarket parts suck cause they don't fit right.
Anyway, just to warn you all.

Peace.

-Mike

accordlx
08-04-2002, 06:59 AM
I dont have one either. I have a piece of quality electrical tape wrapped around the cap where it meets the distributor. Works just fine for me.

MiGeY
08-09-2002, 04:30 PM
OK what would happen if there was no seal?

Because I just did a tune up recently and I changed the cap and I didn't know there was supposed to be a seal....

Since I did the tune up I have been getting weird fucking shit like fucked up idle when coming to a stop, car not starting every now and then, just general fucked up shit.

Do you think this is because I do not have the seal???

So far I have changed the Coil, Ingnitor, ECT(had to anyway), and a few other things...

I will feel really stupid if its just a seal thats fucking me up. Wasted so much money if its just the seal...

Please help me out.

Dutchboy
08-09-2002, 06:12 PM
i have the same thing,,,changed everything...tried differnt ignitors and stuff but has weird idle and feels like it hesitates while driving..

I dont have a lack of mpg or anything.,..I put 5000km on this week and got 42-46mpg:p

im sick of spending money on things that arent fixing it...

DOEs anyone know if the cap has to be sealed good or something to work right ...for the vacuum advance and stuff??????

Ill seal it anyway....and see what happens.
Help us out
Ben

MiGeY
08-09-2002, 06:17 PM
yes Dutchboy that is exactly what I'm getting too. I also get the wierd hesitation sometimes.

I'm also going to go get a seal from the dealer, they are only a few bucks. I am also sick of spending money on stuff that doesn't fix it....

Please guys help us out.

A20A1
08-09-2002, 06:33 PM
It's to keep out condensation/moisture on cold nights... it doesn't however seal the vaccum advance diaphragm... well not that I know of. But just in case... I too shall bust out a long strip of electrical tape, thanks accordlx :D

PS: my tec distributor had a seperate seal... my hitachi did not.

MiGeY
08-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Hey Dutchboy do you ever get any ECU error lights?

Dutchboy
08-09-2002, 06:47 PM
Nope..i dont get any because im carbed....
i wish i had the efi...probably save me alot of problems...
Ben

ACCORD EX
08-10-2002, 02:47 AM
can't anyone confirm what is that seal for !?
may be it's just for keeping dust out of the rotor ?

MIKE

87accordlxph
08-13-2002, 08:35 AM
I was told by the dealer guy that it does keep out the moisture, but think, how it may affect the distance between the rotor and the end of the cap where all the contact points are???
My cap has an oil seal in on the shaft of the distributor just before the rotor, which looked brand new, but that distributor cap seal was all hard and in pieces when I took it off.
Guys, I would check the distributor cap for scoring done by the rotor and check those 4 contact points plus the center button contact point.
Replacing the cap and rotor is very easy considering that we have an electronic ignition!!

I was w/o a car for 6 freekin days cause Honda had to order it in!!! This is a genuien honda part..nobody else has it besides the junk yard.

Expensive piece of rubber too $6.00 Cnd!

I'm thinking as well, that this is like or acts as a gasket seal. So if you all notice a leak around the distributor cap this is the problem.
I would replace the damn thing...do the job right the first time.

That's just me anyway.
Have fun!

-Mike

Jdub07
08-13-2002, 09:17 AM
I just left the old seal on...it was all cracked and a couple pieces missing but hasen't caused any problems as of yet.

MiGeY
08-13-2002, 09:44 AM
well I have been running without one for like a month...

I think I'm going to go get one.

1988starter
08-13-2002, 09:51 AM
well I don't have one so I think I will bust out the electrical tape.

staticpat
08-13-2002, 09:57 AM
i used gasket maker for mine

ACCORD EX
08-13-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by staticpat
i used gasket maker for mine

nice thinking ! :wave:

MIKE