PDA

View Full Version : High flow cat, hard to find.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm ordering a pacesetter header and i was thinking of getting a high flow cat to go with it. Only problem is the only high flow cat i can find is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7956924425&category=33629. I'm not so shure this will fit. The pick is way off and the size don't seem right either (Size: 3.5" L w/ 2.5" inlet & 3.5" inlet) I looked at his online store and he has this pick with this size listed for many other cars.

So what do you guys think, i need a honest opinion.

The seller rateing is good i guess, i have seen better. Has anybody bought one of them. Any input would be great

thanks

mike

SteveDX89
02-25-2005, 03:38 AM
That's not going to work. The Pacesetter header has a 2.25" collector, I think. You will need to find a universal cat and have flanges welded on.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 03:45 AM
will the pacesetter bolt up to stock cat???

A20A1
02-25-2005, 03:47 AM
problem is most universal cats have the in an out flanges lined up along the same axis... on our cat the in and out axies are offset. So when you go to install a universal cat or test pipe the flanges don't line up.

A20A1
02-25-2005, 03:50 AM
will the pacesetter bolt up to stock cat???

yes, the pacesetter is the header and the midpipe/downpipe that has the flex joint on it and ends with a flange that bolts to the cat.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37261

A20A1
02-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Also don't worry about getting a high flow cat untill you upgrade the exhasut pipe from the stock size (1.75") to a larger (2.25")

This way you can get a cat with 2.25" inlet and 2.25" outlet and you won't need adapters to hook it up because all of your piping will be the same diameter.
And it's better to get cats without the flanges already wleded on or with only one flange welded and the other side not... this will make it easier installing it between the downpipe flange and the exhaust pipe flange.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 04:15 AM
if i knock out all the crap in the cat what would that do?? I know you don't recomend that but the car ran ritch for a long time (bad TW sensor) and i think the cat is really restricting flow. Mabie for a few months till i can get it into a exhasut shop for the cat and cat back, if it would hender performance i'm not going to do it but if it helps i'm going to.

SteveDX89
02-25-2005, 04:39 AM
It will help performance wise.

A20A1
02-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Careful with the stuff inside the cat it's hazardous to your health... toxic :(.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 04:52 AM
some people don't recomend it like A20A1 or justin, how is it going to change the sound?? Is it going to backfire because i don't like that. My muffler has a few rust spots in it so i know it wouldn't take but a few backfires to blow holes in it. I don't need swiss exhaust. Now i'm thinking cat back then header.

I wonder if there going to discontinue pacesetter headers.

:lol: just thinking of people looking for used pacesetter headers that would suck, to have even the crap headers dicontinued.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Careful with the stuff inside the cat it's hazardous to your health... toxic :(.

I have heard that it's hard to get out too.

shepherd79
02-25-2005, 05:12 AM
first make sure you don't have emission test or visual test in your state.
second, if you have emission test, stop right here. you need to keep stock cat or upgrade to high quality high flow one. and they are not cheap.
third, if you don't have emission test, you should worry about visual. if you don't care about that, than you should just get a straight pipe and put it on.
fourth, if you still want high flow cat, than I would only recomend high quality ones.

just remember, you get what you pay for.

Strugglebucket
02-25-2005, 06:17 AM
catco makes an oem replacement converter for hondas that i c.a.r.b. compliant and is high flow. i got one from summit for about $90.

the flanges on it rotate so alignment isn't a problem. the only modification i had to make was to shorten the two hanger rods that came welded to it (don't need them on 3g) because they got in the way.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 06:36 AM
:werd: my post before this one is gone???

Anyway, I don't have emission test and never had a visual, ever. I'm going to talk to shop a see about manie back and how much with a high flow cat and then do the header in about a month.

He will have to do it by the book but i may be moving to trycities and i think thay have emissions. not shure though.

cubert
02-25-2005, 07:15 AM
i hollowed mine out...it sounds a little louder...but by no means is it loud. Performance gain is not much....maybe a little noticeable. Its not real tough to get out (the guts of the cat) ....get a hammer and a ling chisel or something similar...pound it out...and pull the screens out with a long pair of needle nose pliers...pretty easy..except for when the exhaust is rusted to crap

danronian
02-25-2005, 07:28 AM
http://www.performancedepot.com/category_search.php?partnumber=1137&page=40&limit=10&compid=99999&YMM=&reorder=&sort=&dealer=no&engine_id=&&brand_id=&year_model_id=&price_id=ASC&category_id=&distributor_id=no

This place has a high-flow pacesetter cat for the accord. I'm not sure about it though, it might not fit, who knows until they try it. It looks offset like ours is so maybe it bolts up right. I'm probably gonna get one this summer since my car has been running fick for at least a year and I now that's no good for the cat, and already mine barely passes emissions, I've gotte replace those 02 sensors soon.

HondaBoy
02-25-2005, 10:33 AM
that high flow cat thats on the ebay auction, didnt someone say before that it wasnt a real cat?

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 11:42 AM
ok well i had my cat tested and it's all good!! so i got a cat back, 2.5" with glass pack res. and a duel tip magaflow muf. $300 total, it's in the shop right now.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
thank you all for your input, i hope i made the right move, and it sounds nice. I didn't want it to be real loud, unless i'm really on it. this set up should work and sound good.

Thanks again

Mike

danronian
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
that high flow cat thats on the ebay auction, didnt someone say before that it wasnt a real cat?
I forget who bought it but they said it is just a straight through piece of pipe with flanges on the end, a "test pipe." The person who bought it said it didn't even bolt in because it was straight instead of offset like our cat.s are. Overall it is just an ebay-esque scam aimed at the import crowd. You'd be much better off just getting a shop to weld in a small section of pipe instead of buying this fake cat and getting it to fit.

SteveDX89
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
ok well i had my cat tested and it's all good!! so i got a cat back, 2.5" with glass pack res. and a duel tip magaflow muf. $300 total, it's in the shop right now.

2.5" is a tad big. You might lose a little performace. 2.25" is ideal for the A20. Anyway, it shouldn't be too loud with the stock exhaust manifold and cat. Once you replace those is when it gets loud. I have a header and full 2.25" piping with high flow cat and mine is loud as fuck. I no longer have any bass in my stereo. The exhaust drowns it out. :(

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
i got the regular bent, it's actualy not too loud. I was thinking it was going to be loud too, but it's quite nice, a deep tone. but it's not broke in yet. You can't really notice it <2.5k or >4k but at 3k it's noticable. I like it so far. I did notice a good performance gain too, that's the best part.

snow_man_20
02-25-2005, 06:36 PM
2.5" is a tad big. You might lose a little performace. 2.25" is ideal for the A20. Anyway, it shouldn't be too loud with the stock exhaust manifold and cat. Once you replace those is when it gets loud. I have a header and full 2.25" piping with high flow cat and mine is loud as fuck. I no longer have any bass in my stereo. The exhaust drowns it out. :(

do you have a resenator???

danronian
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
This (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=WLK%2D15032&FROM=MG) seems like it would fit with adapters.

Well, I'll let you know when I get my exhaust done next week. HEH.

I'm going res.-less. What kind of loud are we talking?
Wow! That is a cheap and emissions legal cat, amazing.

88accordhb
02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
idea: get a test pipe. 20 bucks ehhh... you know you want it

Low Tek
02-28-2005, 02:48 AM
hahaha.. I got one of those ebay cats.. they are pretty opened.. I am 2 1/4 with no muffler.. to damned loud for me.. I actually have a muffler on the way.. they tested me for noise, and I am at 103.4 DB at 3200 RPM. and I don't have a header yet

SteveDX89
02-28-2005, 02:37 PM
do you have a resenator???

No.

Busted_Blue
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Just to update this thread. I was searching around the forum and found a link to this place.

http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=175

pretty cheap for a magnaflow high-flo cat. I just ordered one. :)

Busted_Blue
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
lol woot!

anyways..Magnaflow Highflo cat w/ 22inch Magnaflow resonator and Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust coming soon for me.